The day hung hot and heavy in the scatterplot city of Lyridia. Marius and his brother Tobben lurked in the demi-shade of a dirty old building. They joked and laughed as sweat trickled down their necks, keeping an eye across the street at all times.

They’d settled on a corner where the poorer section of the city where they lived merged with a rich merchant neighbourhood. At least, it was “rich” for Lyridia. The disparity in the income of the two areas made the intersection an ideal place to panhandle.

They had long since discovered that their older sister, Eliza, got the best results when she begged passerby on her own. They’d tried every combination of the three of them on a variety of street corners, and found that more people approached a young woman alone. Unfortunately, not everyone approached her for the right reasons. That was why Marius and Tobben needed to stay nearby.

“Which vintage of wine should we sample this eve, Tobben?” Marius asked his brother in a snooty voice, feigning what he imagined a wealthy merchant might sound like.

“Oh, definitely the elderberry from the year Radasanth claimed Corone,” Tobben said, suppressing a giggle. “It will pair perfectly with the Raiaeran roast pheasant the cook is preparing!”

They both gave an exaggerated laugh and then tapped their fists together. Tobben’s smile faded first.

“I am hungry though, Marius,” the boy said sorrowfully.

“I know, me too. Don’t worry, we’ll make enough to eat tonight. Look; someone is talking to Eliza now-- SHITE, that’s her signal!” Their sister had just reached out a hand and scratched two fingers down the stony wall behind her, a prearranged silent call of distress. A big fat merchant was speaking with her, and edging closer with every word.

Neither youth hesitated. They each seized a broken stone from the streetcorner and took off like two arrows from a single bow.