Evian let tension ease from the back of his neck as the other patrons relaxed. It seemed that, right now, at least, no one would be launching unprovoked attacks on others. At least not anyone in here, though that bartender was still keeping a wary eye on the other man. As he spoke Evian suppressed a snort at the thought of the local authorities proving a threat - he had a feeling that, much like the rest of the people in this bar, the local guard would be little more than an inconvenience to the grizzled veteran drinking whiskey.

As Lye - Evian had a name for a face, now - spoke, Evian felt the scars on his back burn. He couldn't find it in himself to really disagree with the point of laws being shackles. Those strong, or cruel, enough, would happily ignore the law whenever it suited them. People who abided by them would always find themselves hampered, hindered, while monsters ran free, mocking the law. Spoken, written words? Fancy ink on paper at best, that had done nothing to stop the scalpel as it sliced into him.

That pain, that hell, had only ended when he'd been pushed over the breaking point, past the point where fear had held him. Now he avoided most people because he was certain that, if one group found out about him, they would try to continue what that monster had started, and they'd ignore any pesky 'laws' that might get in their way. Evian slowly drained his mug of mead and stared at the empty bottom, eyes narrowed in thought. It would be better, then, wouldn't it, to ignore them himself if he needed to.

It wasn't in Evian to just wantonly attack others - he had no desire, no interest to. But.. What had this life given him, really? He snorted once and shook his head. "That's hardly a self-justification. It's been proven true a few too many times, hasn't it?" He finally said, looking back at Lye. "Again I find myself thanking you, though. You've put words to a thought I didn't realize I had." Evian had no desire to let anyone hold power over him like his father had, not ever again. It would seem he would have to start seeking ways to strengthen himself. It would only be a matter of time before someone came seeking to 'shackle' him.

And right now, he knew he didn't have the strength or power that Lye did. The man exuded that quiet strength, the confidence, not arrogance, that nothing here could hold him unless he let it.