I had never been to Knife's Edge.

As a girl, father and mother had instilled in me a strong fear of Salvar's capital; and for good reason. Initially, a small part of me had wondered if I could use this trip to find out a little about what happened to them. But in truth, I suppose I knew I wouldn't get the chance.

The ballroom was far more grand than anything I'd ever seen.

Immediately upon drawing up to the immense structure, my cheeks had warmed with a deep cringe as I clasped my hands in my lap. My gown - as nice as one could possibly procure from the port towns by the coast - would surely pale in comparison to even the drapes that hung inside. The entire procession inside, as I was checked for weapons and eyed suspiciously for being without a chaperone, I retreated into myself and stiffly moved; jaw clenched and heart racing.

Within, well, I suddenly knew how it felt to be a little brown mouse in the corner of a stately tavern.

As the soft, exotic aromas enticed me in, the gentle music played in the background. I ran the words of the letter once more over in my mind. Who was this mysterious stranger? How did they know my name? How did he know about my--

From my spot against one of the walls, I briefly glanced towards the ornate guards. I didn't even want to think the word magic in this place. So for now, I swallowed nervously, silently regretting coming here in my modest gown and watching the other guests.

Perhaps from them I would gain more of a clue on how to act, so I could be invisible.