Jasmine was pleasantly surprised to find that Lord Haversham was quite the dancer. They moved smoothly among the other dancers with precision and grace.

“How are things back home, Highness?”

“Please, just Jasmine, or Lady if you must. The titles are unnecessary. Moriah is doing well. Why do you ask, my Lord?”

He spun her out and back in, “I have been thinking about expanding some of my business opportunities. I recognized you and thought it a convenient opportunity.”

“Ah, well I hate to disappoint you, but I am not greatly involved in Moriah’s business dealings anymore. You must speak to the king.”

“Is he not your brother?”

“He is, but I do not involve myself with the affairs of running the kingdom. My title is a mere formality.”

“I see. LOOK OUT!!”

Lord Haversham nearly picked her up and threw her he moved so quickly as chaos and a falling chandelier erupted around them. He breathed heavily as he looked frantically around.

“Are you okay, Lady Jasmine?”

“Yes,” she answered, checking over herself for any inadvertent injuries from the shattered glass. “Yes, I’m quite alright.”

MOTHER!

Jasmine almost winced as her daughter’s “voice” rang in her head.

I’m fine, Siela. Come and join me.

~*~*~

Siela laughed merrily as she took a new hand in preparation for a dance. As she did, she stopped suddenly.

“What’s wrong?” her suitor asked.

“Nothing, it’s just-”

Her words cut off as the windows burst open. As the chandelier fell her mind was filled with terror as the partygoers’ minds shouted loudly. She’d been able to ignore the hum of unguarded thoughts throughout the night, but the sudden volume change startled her. She sat back down hurriedly, putting a hand to her head.

“Princess Siela?”

The concern in the young man’s voice was genuine, but she waved him off. “I’m fine, it’s nothing. I must have stood a little too quickly.”

She looked around the room and realized that she’d last seen her mother on the dance floor near the fallen chandelier. Panicked, she sent her thoughts out toward her mother. A moment later, relief flooded her face as Jasmine answered. She got to her feet and inclined her head politely to those around her.

“Please, excuse me, gentlemen, I must see to my family.”

She gave them no chance to respond and picked her way quickly across the room to stand with Jasmine.

“Mother,” she whispered, “something is wrong, I can feel it.”

Jasmine hushed her daughter, “Keep such things to yourself, Siela. We do not want the Ethereal Sway breathing down our necks because of your abilities. Zevernus, welcome back.”

Zevernus nodded to his mother as he hurried up to them, “What’s going on?”

Jasmine looked around. The screaming had largely stopped, though a number of ladies were still fanning themselves in shock at the edges of the room. “Lord Iverstead has been murdered,” she answered simply. “Where is Aiden?”

“He’s still in the courtyard. We met a faun and another gal while we were outside. We were with them when the windows blew and a gust of wind rammed the door open. He’s staying with them to make sure they’re okay.”

Siela closed her eyes for a moment, concentrating on tuning out the loud thoughts of panicked people. She cast around subtly, trying to see if anyone was suspiciously calm about the recent events.

Jasmine looked around and noted that her dancing partner had disappeared. Figures, she thought resignedly, he must have slipped away as soon as he saw I was unhurt. No matter, there are more important things to worry about.