“You can trust me,” Jake reminded her, “and we’ll still be in the middle of the forest. We can leave the town anytime you like, and return to the trees. Come on, Amari, let me buy you dinner. That way you’ll at least see the place, and we need to eat, in any case.”

Jake watched as she pulled away from the tree, he could have sworn he saw a faint golden glow trickle from her fingers and linger on the trunk. He blinked, and it was gone. She sighed and took a few tentative steps toward him, her hair up in a messy ponytail and feet dirtied from the ground, she looked oddly at peace in the forest.

“Alright. I shall go with you.” She offered him a faint smile. “You haven’t lied to me yet.”

Jake returned the smile and took Amari’s hand in his, and then an oaken doorway with a stone knob appeared from thin air beside them. Jake opened the door with a little bow and allowed Amari to walk through first.

They arrived on the forested fringe of Underwood, just as the bottom of the sun kissed the horizon of treetops. The steady chop of axes on solid trunks could be heard nearby; lumberjacks putting in a last effort before going home for the night.

Jake led Amari into the village. The fresh smells of the forest mingled with the aromas wafting from bakeries and inns, mingling to form a delicious concoction for their noses. Hawkers stood about on street corners, selling roasted meats and baubles. Goodwives swept off their front stoops, and common folk trudged around, on their way home from work. A couple of watchmen wearing cloaks and leather armor moved past, but they paid the Jake no mind. Fortunately, the thief was not known in Underwood.

Meandering through the hardpack streets, Jake pointed out several interesting locations. The Ravenheart Academy, with the grand statue of Letho Ravenheart out front. The great library, which was the best collection of books and scrolls inside Concordia. The Dansdel, and outdoor fighting arena where the mightiest warriors matched their skills. Eventually the tour took them past a particular inn with a help wanted sign in the window. The sign above its door said The Last Night’s Maiden.

“Fancy eating here?” Jake asked, sniffing the air. “Smells like they’re baking pot pies, unless I’m mistaken.”

“Sure...I do not want to be forced into work though Jake. Don’t get me wrong...I appreciate all you do, but I just… “ She seemed to struggle finding the right words. “I don’t like the idea of being tied down like that, my whole life I have been. It just, feels constricting thinking about it.”

“No one’s going to force you to do anything,” Jake said, somewhat hurt by her words. “I only thought… I thought a distraction might be good. And you’d make friends, and your own money, and have a place to feel like you belong… maybe it was a stupid idea. I’m sorry.” He cast his green eyes down and stared at his boots. “Can I still buy you dinner at least?”

She seemed to backtrack seeing she had upset him. “I-uhm..yes..Jake I’m sorry I didn’t mean to..” her words came out quickly, and stuttered as she tried to console and comfort him. “I’m not saying you make me feel that way, I just - you know… don’t you want to… I don’t know..explore?”

“Explore?” Jake opened the door to the inn, and the sounds of merriment wafted out along with the smells of good food and cheap ale. “Where would you like to explore? I’ve been most places, it’s all the same to me.” He led the way to an empty table near the back of the common room and pulled out a chair for the redhead to sit. She squirmed and glanced to his chair, the idea that she had to seat others first still ingrained into her head. She sat down after a few more seconds.

“I...I don’t know. I guess that’s kind of stupid of me to say, huh? I’m being ungrateful again.” Amari clasped her hands together in a sign of apology. “I am very sorry Jake. I know these past few months...I have been difficult.”

Jake sat across from her and placed a hand on top of hers. “You don’t need to apologize Amari. I’m grateful to have you in my life. You’ve lived through some terrible things… but that doesn’t need to define your future.” A serving girl with golden hair approached, and Jake ordered pot pies and house ale for both of them. The young woman gave them a friendly smile, which might have lingered on Jake a little longer, and then hurried back to the kitchen.

It did not go unnoticed by Amari, who quickly pulled her hands away from his and ducked them under the table.

“Maybe you’d like to visit the southern shores of Corone?” Jake suggested. “The climate is beautiful, and there’s nothing prettier than a sunset over Serenti. We could go pearl diving in the ocean.”

“Jake why do all the girls look at you like that, and ignore me?”

Jake blushed scarlet from the base of his neck to the tips of his pointed ears. “I dunno,” he mumbled, “one of them once told me I’m the cutest thing from Corone to Scara Brae. I think it’s the elven blood.” His blush deepened as he glanced up at the redhead. She tilted her head slightly, curiously staring at him.

“I do not understand the connection - is it….” She blinked in realisation and tore her eyes away from his. Her own cheeks reddening. She shifted in her seat. “I think I understand now.” her voice lowered. “They want what brother wants, right?”

“No!” Jake exclaimed, tugging at his silken scarf. “Amari, those are two entirely different things. What your brother wanted is wicked and cruel. What these women want is natural and… healthy.” He glanced toward the kitchen as the golden haired girl came back, carrying a foaming tankard for each of them. Jake took his and immediately downed half of the frothy brew, cooling the color in his cheeks.

“Is that why my hands and body feel hot when you touch them? The natural thing?”

“I…” Jake gulped, feeling sweat bead on the back of his neck. “It might be. I didn’t have time to read everything in your brother’s journal, but the sigils he placed on you might have something to do with it. I mean, you don’t want… that, do you?”

“That…?” She pointed to the ale, a little confused.

“No, that’s not what I meant.” Jake tried to look away but his eyes seemed magnetized to the pale skin visible beneath Amari’s top, and the way her auburn hair spilled around her shoulders. He took a deep breath, and then downed the better half of his ale. “You don’t want me to kiss you, do you Amari?”

Amari who had picked up the ale and was sniffing it jumped, sloshing the ale onto the table and herself. “KI-wha-ah….” She wasn’t able to answer. She looked down at herself, dripping with the liquid. “Oh no! How unbefitting of me!” She muttered as she tried to pat herself down. “This drink doesn’t smell very nice either.”

“Here,” Jake pulled a handkerchief from his pocket and made as if to dab at her, then thought better of it and passed her the cloth. “It’s not supposed to smell good. Or taste good, really. It has other redeeming qualities.”

“If something does not taste good I cannot fathom why anyone would drink it.” Amari said, distracted as she tried to clean herself but to no avail. “Jake. I need to change, do you think the inn would have anything?”

“We’ll just have to ask properly,” Jake said with a wink. When their server arrived with two steaming portions of pot pie, Jake stood up and slipped a coin into her palm, and whispered a few words in her ear. She nodded and scurried off, returning promptly with a folded cotton dress, which she passed to Amari.

“There you go dear,” the waitress said, “you can change in the private dining room. No one’s using it tonight.” She pointed to a door at the back of the room, and then hurried to the next table.