EXP required for next Level: 3,308

GP

Name
    Azza "Sophia" Ambrose
    Race
    Dovicarus

View Profile
    “This one?”

“No! No no, the other one. With the blue crystals.” Azza held up yet another bundle of trinkets, odds and ends, to which Elijah shook his head. “No no, with the round crystals that are faceted.” While giving instructions, he himself dug through piles of… piles. What he searched for, Azza could only guess.

Elijah’s list contained a staggering amount of what Azza considered junk, but he had insisted they needed it for the trip. She smirked as she sifted through bags and shelves and drawers, asking each time if she’d found the right one. Usually, the answer was ‘no.’ Azza was almost impressed with the sheer volume of stuff her teacher had accumulated, compared to her meager belongings. Two changes of clothes, a longsword–Elijah had made eyes at that when they first reunited–and some sentimental trinkets.

In the end, Elijah found most of it himself, things ranging from “required” to “absolutely imperative.” He shooed Azza outside to help the bespectacled-man and the flame-haired woman load the wagon. This didn’t take long, as they did not need many actual provisions for the short trip. The blue-haired glasses man waited patiently, muttering something now and then.

The red haired lass waited… less patiently. After ‘convincing’ the wagoner to extend his services, the woman spent the time shifting her feet and fidgeting. She was fuming. Not angry, Azza realized, but literally fuming. Swirls of mana radiated off of her like smoke. Elijah hadn’t seemed thrilled with her presence, and it took a bit for Azza to recall who she was. Her life was so full of disasters, that the banquet in Salvar barely registered in her memory. ’Elijah must have taken it personally…’

The group departed with the noon sun beating down on them. The atmosphere between the three ‘adults’ remained tense as they traveled, with only terse words exchanged. Meanwhile, Azza herself was happy to just enjoy the sights as the wagon rolled along the shifting dunes of ash and glass.

Loremaster

EXP: 74,034, Level: 11
    Level completed: 76%, EXP required for next Level: 2,966
    Level completed: 76%,
    EXP required for next Level: 2,966

GP

Name
    Elijah Belov
    “That must be the place.” Elijah pointed south, across the shifting dunes glittering in the moonlight. In the distance, a ring of crumbling obsidian spires jutted from the ash. A blighted crown atop the desert. Campfires burned, specks of orange in the distance.

“I can’t think of any other reason to camp out here,” Rehtul agreed.

They sat across from each other in the wagon, a shambling vehicle held together with string and prayer. Next to Eli, Azza slept with her head jostling against his shoulder with every bump. Felicity shifted in her seat, fidgeting with a restless energy that had endured since they left the observatory a day and a half ago.

The wagoner, who had remained in sullen silence since they strong-armed his cooperation, spoke up. “Reckin’ this is far enough. Ye can walk from here.”

Felicity bristled, opening her mouth to object, but Elijah and Rehtul held up their hands in unison. The two mages shared a smirk.

“That would be best,” said Eli. “Let us see what we’re dealing with before announcing our presence.”

================================

The four of them loaded everything they could onto their backs and hiked the last couple miles beneath the starry sky. An hour later, they found themselves on a rocky ledge overlooking the ruins. Below, dozens of workers scurried like ants, hauling debris and erecting tents between the crumbling spires. Robed Guild researchers huddled around lanterns.

No one saw Elijah or his companions approach, but a hundred meters of wide open sand spanned between them and their destination.

“That must lead to the artifact,” Elijah whispered, gesturing to the center of the ruins. There, a pit delved deep into the sand, orange light bleeding from below. He tapped his chin, thinking. “Perhaps we could sneak in? No, they would spot us before we got close.”

Azza looked at him and tilted her head. “Can’t we just walk up and say hello?”

He chuckled. “Yeah, that would be a fun conversation. ‘Don’t mind us! The stars just told me to commandeer your research!’” Azza gave him a playful punch in the arm, and he aggressively ruffled her hair.

Felicity cleared her throat, and Eli could feel her roll her eyes. “The other option is to fight our way in.”

Eli gave a thoughtful grunt, peeking over the edge to the personnel scurrying about in the camp. He spotted a few guards, but no muskets, golems, or threatening ordinance. “That’s always an option. I doubt they could stop us, but…”

“I don’t want anyone to get hurt on either side,” said Felicity. “They’re trying to solve this as much as we are.”

“I doubt that.” Elijah scoffed. “I know the Guilds. They want to profit off what they find, nothing more.”

Ice Ice Baby

EXP: 22,697, Level: 6
    Level completed: 39%, EXP required for next Level: 4,303
    Level completed: 39%,
    EXP required for next Level: 4,303

GP

Name
    Rehtul Orlouge
    “I agree on both counts,” said Rehtul, breaking his long silence. “The Guilds cannot be trusted, but a violent approach will only cause more problems, much to my personal chagrin.”

He dusted off his glasses and slid them back on. “Fortunately, my father, Succed Orlouge, is a well-known arcane researcher who has helped the Guilds on several occasions, and you, my friend, are affiliated with the Astrologers.”

Elijah’s eyes perked up. “What do you propose?”

The ice mage spread his arms and smiled. “We walk up and say hello.”

===============================

“Good day. My name is Rehtul Orlouge. I come on behalf of Clan Orlouge of Corone to assist with the Guilds’ recent discovery here. These are my associates and assistants.”

The sorcerer Elijah stepped forward, chin high, projecting an air of authority. “I am Elijah Belov, representative for the Guild of Astrologers.” He gestured to his silver-haired companion. “This is Azza, my protege.” The girl waved.

Rehtul’s red-haired student stepped forward next. “Felicity Rhyolite, alchemist.” Technically true, though not in the way the Guild agents would think.

They stood among the glassy spires, some standing, others topped. At the heart of the ruins stood a pile of stacked rubble next to a staircase spiraling deep underground. Standing between that entrance the four mages were several guards and scribes, along with three officials in Guild officers’ garb.

Elijah seemed to know who they were, and whispered their names as they approached. Jivvin, with his strange mechanical body parts peeking from beneath blue Artificer’s robes. Cazri, a prim dark elf woman in Alchemist green. Sabal, a stout Engineer in a rust red tunic beneath a leather apron, with goggles resting atop his head.

“Were you not informed of our coming?” Rehtul asked. “Surprising. We heard about your discovery through my father, Succed Orlouge. He’s currently busy with his own projects, but sent me and my trusted associates to assist you, as he’s done in the past.”

“With all due respect, we have made considerable headway on our own,” said Chief Artificer Jivvin, his voice buzzing through a metal mask. “What could we possibly gain by involving your father?”

“Better us than the High Bards,” said Elijah. “Wouldn’t you agree?”

Sabal, the dwarf Engineer, harrumphed. “Says the Astrologer. You're a bloody fake guild. Alerar has no use for your mysticism.”

The sorcerer laughed. “Unless you plan to strap a steam engine to the demonic artifact, you–”

“How do you know it's a demon gate?” The dwarf’s brow furrowed into a glare.

Well if we weren’t sure then, we are now.

Elijah smirked. “Astrologer, remember?”

“There is no need for factional rivalry,” Rehtul said, holding out his palms. “Elijah is correct, however. It’s part of the reason we were sent. Mostly, however, the two of us are here to help keep others out. My father's notoriety, if we broadcast this as one of his projects, would tend to keep other… ahem… 'researchers' out of your hair. Especially the Raiaeran ones.” While not entirely accurate, it was believable. He watched the eyes of the Guildsmen, seeing his gambit take root. The bluff was working.

Rehtul made a fist and opened it, conjuring a cloud of cold mist. “Plus my associates and I are competent mages with experience with demons. Our presence here will lend much needed security.”

The icy specks floated through the air, and while the assembled Guildsmen watched the glittering display, much smaller particles flowed from his other hand. Unseen, they embedded themselves into the ground and stones, and down into the underground chamber. He hid a smile. Nothing would hide from him, now.

Behind his metal mask, Jivvin the artificer frowned. “I remain unconvinced. I don't care if you can help keep others out. We don't want you here either.”

“I think you'll change your mind when word gets out. This place is radiating power already, and where there's power, opportunistic mages will surely follow.”

“Other than yourselves, you mean?” grumbled the dwarf.

“We are your best-case scenario,” said Elijah.

Cazri the artificer finally spoke up. “I believe them.” The other two Guild masters gawked at her, but she carried on. “They came to us openly, in good faith. I see no harm in letting them in. They are scientists as much as any of us. Plus, if anything does slip out of that damnable rift, having mages with that experience can’t hurt.”

The Artificer and Engineer grumbled, but ultimately the Guildsmen parted and let Rehtul and his companions through.

As they were left out of earshot, the mage fell back to keep pace with Elijah and whispered, “I have eyes everywhere in this cavern now. Nothing in here moves without me knowing about it.

Loremaster

GP

Name
    Elijah Belov
    The four descended, down into the dark depths beneath the ruins. Spiraling stairs opened up into a vast, yawning chamber of granite pillars that sparkled in the lantern light. Elijah ran his hand over rows of letters carved into the stone.

“These are proto-Alerian glyphs,” he told Azza. “You can tell by the sharp angles taken from Dwarvish runes.”

His student tilted her head. “Why does it say ‘may these stones, from the stars, eternal hide’?”

He stopped mid-step. “How can you read that?” I sure as hell never taught her.

“My mentor taught me. You know, the one who you refuse to meet?”

Ah. “Things like this are why.”

Azza stuck out her tongue. “You might like her, you know?”

“Hide from the stars?” said Felicity with a scowl. “That doesn’t sound ominous at all.”

“Everything about this is ominous.” Elijah hid his unease beneath a smirk. “Come on, let us find this gate.” He led the troupe through the chamber, past groups of dark elves and dwarves. These researchers collected samples, created chalk rubbings of the stone-carved writing, and waved around various instruments.

The gate itself stood on the chamber’s far side. It was a slab of mirror polished onyx framed in fifty runic stones inset into the wall. A sword jutted from the floor. No, not just a ‘sword.’ It gleamed gold as if hammered from pure sunlight, jutting from a circle of arcane markings. The entire edifice thrummed with unseen power. It vibrated in his bones, and he felt a subtle force pulling him closer.

He turned to his companions. “Can you feel that?”

“Yes,” they all replied in unison.

“I see I was right to allow you access,” said a new voice. Cazri the Alchemist emerged from the shadows, her unnaturally blonde hair standing out against the darkness. “The four of you are much more sensitive to magic than any of my guildemates.”

Elijah cleared his throat, turning to face the dark elf. “With respect ma’am, the power behind this portal could move the stars. Sensing it was the easy part.”

“Easy for you, perhaps.” Cazri smiled, showing faint lines at the corners of her eyes. She was a striking woman, middle-aged in elf years, and beautiful, but in the manner of a predatory cat. Her pale eyes darted between them, settling for a long moment on Azza before snapping back to Eli. “Some accuse the Guilds of being ‘blinded by progress.’ Perhaps they are right in more ways than one.”

He grinned back. “We all have our blind spots.”

The alchemist clapped her hands together. “Now that you’re here, my colleagues will expect results, and so will I.” With that, she turned and sauntered off to the other Guild researchers.

“I like her,” said Elijah.

Felicity groaned. “You would.”

“I don’t like the way she looked at me,” Azza whispered.

Eli ruffled her hair and gave a playful shove. “She just wants your horns in a glass jar.”

Azza grimaced. “I like my horns where they are, thank you.”

He bit back a number of inappropriate remarks and squared his shoulders to the looming demon gate. Despite the power radiating from it, the lack of howling demons spilling forth into reality meant it was still dormant, still… closed.

“Let’s get to work,” he said at last. He began unpacking his supplies, pulling out lenses, bottles, scrolls, and various crystals. With more time to prepare, he could have brought a proper field laboratory, but he would make due. “Here.” He shoved a bag of blue faceted crystals into his student’s arms. “See if these react to any of the writing on the walls. If they turn red, let me know. If they turn yellow and shatter, run.”

He turned to Rehtul and Felicity. “We’re working blind right now. I need to know more about this place. How old it is, who built it, what kind of magic they used, and if that magic is still intact.”

Adventurer

EXP: 31,692, Level: 7
    Level completed: 59%, EXP required for next Level: 3,308
    Level completed: 59%,

GP

Name
    Azza "Sophia" Ambrose
    Race
    Dovicarus

View Profile
    “Oh sure, just run if one turns yellow,” Azza mumbled as she shuffled across the chamber with the bag. “Don’t mind the fact that we’re underground. Where would I run to?”

You know I can defend myself. At least, her teacher should know. Maybe he forgot, like how he forgot to pack extra socks for the trip. Azza seemed to attract absent-minded mentors. Elijah in particular was hard to read. He would treat her like delicate pottery one moment, and a piece of iron to be hammered into shape the next. Was this like having an older brother? She smiled at the thought.

Despite her initial grumbling, Azza set about her task with a spring in her step. It felt good to be out of the dingy observatory, get some fresh air and meet new people. Even if ‘fresh air’ was a dusty tomb and ‘meet new people’ meant eavesdropping on strangers’ conversations. Still, it made walking around and waving crystals at the wall much more interesting.

“What’s for lunch today?” asked a skinny dark elf in scribe’s robes.

“More hardtack and jerky, I’m sure,” replied a dwarf woman with dark circles around her eyes.

“Again? With how hard they’re pushing us, they could feed us some real food.”

“Go complain to Sabal, then.”

“You first.”

’Nothing fun...’ With a sigh, Azza moved along the wall. She circled past Rehtul. The ice mage was far more focused on the walls than she was, staring at random spots with squinted eyes as snowflakes fluttered around him. ’Maybe he’s having better luck,’ thought Azza, frowning at her crystal, which remained stubbornly blue now matter how hard she waved it around.

Another group of researchers walked past, muttering to each other. She pretended to work as she followed them along the wall.

“Have you seen Melen today?

“No, not yesterday either.”

’Now this is interesting…’

“Did she leave? She didn’t say anything to me.”

“I wager she got hurt, and the higher ups are keeping it quiet so nobody makes a fuss.”

Distracted by the conversation, Azza’s hand brushed against the strange golden sword sticking out of the floor. Her crystal changed from cold blue to a fiery orange. “Eli- er. Master Elijah! What does orange mean?”

Loremaster

GP

Name
    Elijah Belov
    Elijah perked up upon hearing his name, setting some tools onto a worktable he had claimed. That was quick.

“One moment,” called Elijah. “I need to–wait, orange?” With a curse, he darted across the chamber, cursing louder when nearly bowled over a gaggle of startled scribes. He snatched up the crystal, holding it up to a lantern.

“Is that bad?” asked Azza, backing away as if the crystal might explode at any moment.

Smart girl, you’re learning. “It’s not not bad. Yellow means potent magical contamination–of the ‘oh gods, all my skin is missing’ variety–but I’ve never seen orange before.”

He narrowed his eyes, peering close at the crystal. Azza said something beside him, but he couldn’t hear. From this close, the gate’s power buzzed like a beehive in his skull. An unseen force tugged at the crystal, guiding his hand closer to the sword. The sword. An urge filled him, a desire to pull it out of the ground and raise it to the sky. To ride into battle like the dawn itself.

The crystal glowed bright, like amber held to the sun. It shook, and with a loud crack, it shattered in his hands. Elijah recoiled. The crystal shards clattered onto the floor. Azza held onto his arm, steadying him. The buzzing faded.

“I’m fine, I’m fine,” he said, patting his student’s shoulder. He took a deep breath and the world stopped spinning.

Azza smirked. “It’s been over a week since the last lab explosion, so I guess we were due.”

“Hush.” He gave her a shove.

“Is everything okay? You look like you saw a ghost.”

Nothing was okay about this. He didn’t know what they were dealing with, but he felt out of his depth already. “That sword is powerful. Puts mine to shame.” He patted the prevaldia blade on his hip.

“Did… did it move on its own? Look.” She pointed to the sword. It was angled slightly left, but wasn’t it like that already?

He rubbed his eyes. “Gods, who knows at this point. I need to figure out what it is and what it’s doing here. Fetch my vial of Warg saliva and the mithril scalpel, for the–”

Rehtul appeared beside him. “Sorry to interrupt.” The ice mage lowered his voice, glancing at all the researchers scurrying about. “Listen very carefully. You need to get the researchers out of here. They’re in danger.”

“What, why?” Elijah looked at the man, whose face was paler than usual. “What’s going–”

“I’ll explain after.” His urgent whisper cut through Elijah’s objections. “Clear the room. Now.”

Shit, shit. Elijah glanced about the chamber. How do I… He scooped up the crystal shards and held them overhead.

He filled his lungs and bellowed. “Listen up! Magical contamination is spreading from the artifact. Evacuate the chamber immediately!”

Every head turned to him, faces painted in confusion or annoyance. The researchers looked at each other, muttering. Some glanced around for the Guild Masters.

Flames danced around Elijah’s feet. “Gods damned fools, move it!”

Nuclear Rage

EXP: 64,948, Level: 10
    Level completed: 99%, EXP required for next Level: 52
    Level completed: 99%,
    EXP required for next Level: 52

GP

Name
    Felicity Rhyolite
    Race
    Neanderthal/ Human Hybrid

View Profile
    Felicity hissed through gritted teeth. These fools! They would rather blabber in the face of urgent threats! Rehtul was equally impatient, “We need to clear the room fast.”

Elijah kept urging them to leave, smoke rising from the sorcerer as his frustration mounted, but the Guild scholars hesitated. If I could sense magic like I used to… Then she would know how dire the situation was, how long before disaster! She didn’t know what was coming, but the seriousness in her teacher’s voice made it clear. Enough of this.

She shoved past Elijah and stomped her foot onto the floor hard enough to shake the ceiling. “Listen up, you Guild bootlickers!” she bellowed, her voice filling the chamber. “This is a crisis, so stop your politicking and thumb-sucking and get the Haides out before I make you!”

She slammed her fist into the wall, cracking the stone. The scholars stared at her, wide eyed and mouths gaped, before taking her ‘advice.’ They abandoned their equipment and hurried up the stairs.

“Masterfully done,” said Elijah from beside her. Was that actually grudging respect in his voice?

It had better be, after all that!

“Your… your hair is on fire.”

“Hmm?” She patted the top of her head – it was hot to the touch. She shrugged. “That happens sometimes.”

Turning to Rehtul, she asked, “Alright, they’re out. What’s all this then?”
    "I can't be proud of anything. I am ashamed of everything."

"I gave my heart, my allegiance, all my energy for this and got nothing but ashes in return. What on earth did I do to deserve being chewed and spit out like this? Time and time again, it's all the same."

Felicity Playlist.

Ice Ice Baby

EXP: 22,697, Level: 6
    Level completed: 39%, EXP required for next Level: 4,303
    Level completed: 39%,
    EXP required for next Level: 4,303

GP

Name
    Rehtul Orlouge
    Rehtul frowned and held up a single hand. A cloud of mist rose around him and a faint tinkling echoed through the nearly silent chamber. The ground around the mage cracked and split as blades attached to heavy chains shot forth from within the earth.

They flew through the air toward the wall. One sunk into the soft rock, stuck like a thrown dart.

Quick little bastard, aren't you?

The second chain swung through the air in an arc and seemed to catch on something in the air above the cavern floor. A harsh thud sounded through the room as dust rose up from the ground. The chain was wrapped around something unseen that struggled desperately to escape. The ice mage exerted a bit more effort and more chains erupted from the ground, arcing over the thrashing form. The chains drew tight and pinned the creature to the ground.

He brought a single hand over the form and a giant icicle appeared over the creature. With a swipe of his hand, the spear of ice impaled the writhing form. Blood splattered the rock as the black and purple skin of a demon showed itself from between the chains as the creature issued its last breath.

“That's why.” He brought his hand to his lips and blew. A floating mist of frozen water droplets filled the room and brought the outline of a couple dozen other shapes into view. Long, lanky bodies slinking through the shadows, creeping on the walls came into view.

Elijah cursed. A few of the demons ran quickly toward him, aware that they no longer held the advantage of surprise. As they rushed in, Rehtul stomped his right foot. A geyser of ice erupted forward from the ground in front of his foot and impaled most of the attackers in one fell swoop.

Rehtul waved his arm and a set of icy bladed pinions appeared, floating inches in front of his forearms. He crossed his arms and fanned the blades out, pointed at the demonic entities.

“Everyone on your guard! These things are quick.”

Adventurer

EXP: 31,692, Level: 7
    Level completed: 59%, EXP required for next Level: 3,308
    Level completed: 59%,

GP

Name
    Azza "Sophia" Ambrose
    Race
    Dovicarus

View Profile
    Demons. Long spindly-limbed demons with claws blossoming from every appendage. This was not Azza’s idea of a good time. What’s worse, she’d left her longsword in camp. Her companions rushed into battle, but they had never fought together – it was chaos. Azza scurried across the floor, dodging demons, Rehtul’s ice shards, and several varieties of fiery explosion.

She reached the sword again. Despite who-knows how long underground, it never lost its luster. It gleamed in the light of her allies’ spells. Gaudy, really. Overly ornate, not something she would ever use, but she wasn’t here to criticize its design. The sword was linked to the gate. She was sure of it. If she could tweak it a little, maybe she could save them. It’s just all my friends’ lives at stake. How hard can it be?

A bolt of ice streaked past her head, sweeping her air in a wake of air. A shadowy shape careened overhead followed by a blast of fire. Elsewhere in the room, Felicity’s yells echoed after the otherworldly screech of the creatures. Grabbing the handle of the sword with both hands, threw Azza into complete silence. The world around her slowed, a blooming explosion unfurling like a flower.

“Well now, this is unexpected,” said a voice, weary but amused. The luminescent figure of an old dark elf in regal clothing stood before her, his own hands resting on the pommel of the sword as she held it.

“Who-”

“Elrohir Fararil.” He smiled. “Just an old spook keeping back some unsavory sorts. Now, as much as I’d like to indulge you with whatever questions you may have, you should know that you holding my weapon is weakening me.”

After a moment’s shock at the revelation, she nodded. She should have known her powers would have this effect. “Then you can answer quickly. The seal was out of place. What do I need to do to correct it?”

Elrohir chuckled and took his hands away from the sword. “Simply turn in the direction counter of any clock. The blade must align with the Spring equinox alignment of Brinziah’s Anchor.”

“I know that constellation!” Swallowing her creeping apprehension, she took a deep breath. The word came back into focus. The figure of Elrohir dissipated. Chaos resumed. The gate shimmered in pink light – spindly, inky limbs clawed their way through.

“I can close it!” Azza cried, searching for Elijah in the bedlam. She gripped the handle hard and began to turn with all her might. The floor clicked once, but the shimmer remained. She twisted harder. A toothy maw shoved its way through the shimmer, splattering its ichor on her face.

Loremaster

GP

Name
    Elijah Belov
    “Azza will close the gate!” Elijah shouted as he sprinted to his student’s side, dodging swiping claws and dripping teeth. His sword lashed out as his other hand made the Sign of the Fang. When the blade pierced black flesh, the wound erupted in flame. More demons scuttled forth, coming for Azza.

Eli wove several Signs, tracing their constellations across the air. The signs of the dragon’s tail, claw, and heart filled his body with strength, speed, and vigor, but it wasn’t enough. Without time to prepare, he felt vulnerable.

A spindly, red-eyed monster dropped behind him and reared up to strike. A swarm of ice spears slammed into it, impaling it a dozen times. Elijah gave Rehtul a nod.

Stars of the Dragon’s Breath. As six demons charged from all sides, Elijah wove his most potent sign. Thirty points in the sky, its pattern slightly different each night – he knew it like his own face. A draconic roar shook the walls. Flame burst from his hands, a burning shock wave that smashed into his vile attackers. Black flesh sizzled and billowed foul-smelling smoke. When the roar fell quiet, only ash remained of his foes.

It wasn’t enough. More and more demons crawled from the shimmering gate, claws reaching through the tear in reality, dragging their twisted bodies into his world.

“To me!” he cried, but who could help? Chaos consumed the portal chamber, his comrades beset by abominations.