“Leopold!” Ruby screamed.

Her cry scattered the echoes of the spell and fuelled Duffy’s adrenaline. He sprinted forwards, bones warming and muscles finally alive after the long, cold march. He made a beeline for his brother, and when he reached his side dropped to both knees and rolled the merchant over. His cloak was mottled with glass shards, but his face was unhurt.

“You’re a lucky bastard!” the bard clucked. He brushed aside shards from Leopold’s lapel and pulled a large shard out from his top hot. “What happened?”

“I,” Leopold coughed. “I think Sei left us a present.”

“That faerie bastard.” Duffy slouched. “I thought we had an agreement.”

“You did. I ignored it.” Leopold held out a hand and Duffy helped him up.

“How is she?” He looked around the bard’s shoulder and saw Ruby reach Clarissa and roll her over.

Ruby examined her carefully, but saw no wounds and no sign of glass shards. She looked puzzled, and mouthed ‘she’s fine’ to her companions. Leopold and Duffy approached the dome’s out limits and tentatively walked beyond. Though it’s essence remained, the way to the inner ring of the Ice Henge was no longer barred.

“What did you do to it?” Duffy had never seen a mystic’s dome broken without it’s owner’s will. “I wish I had known how to do that about thirty years ago.” He remembered all the times the Orlouge family had shredded limbs and windpipes in his long-standing effort to earn their trust as a captain of the Nine.

Clarissa and Leopold had combined their talents, blood magic and Old Magic, and formed a spell uncast outside the Tap for centuries. He was surprised he remembered how to do it, never mind that he had ignored his pledge long ago to turn his back on his power. He turned back to watch Ruby and Clarissa approach, both whom looked dazed but unhurt.

“It’s an old soul binding trick, we combine the spirits of two old gods and channel it directly into the inner bindings of a spell.” Leopold left out the details about the potential consequences. He had drawn enough of Ruby’s ire for one day.

“Don’t do it again, either of you.” Ruby let Clarissa stand on her own strength and crossed the threshold into the Ice Henge proper. “We don’t want to give them anything to use against you. If War can turn Clarissa against us despite her…unconventional talents then Leopold will stand little chance if he begins to turn into Raven again.”

“Would that be so bad?” Clarissa shrugged. “We gave up much of our power millennia ago because of a lie. Ow we know the truth about the Thayne, why not reclaim our place amongst the pantheon and truly play a part in the restoration of Berevar?”

Leopold had to concede Clarissa had a point. He had not thought about it, considering his promise set in stone but that was before Duffy returned from the Tap with a gavel of truth and a pledge of his own – to topple the Thayne and weaken their hold over the Old Gods. It was all desperately complicated, and without bourbon in his system, he hadn’t the guts to speak his mind.

“We’ll see how it goes, Clarissa. I won’t jeopardise my family for anyone, including you.” He smiled weakly, but Clarissa didn’t take it personally.

“Good enough. We can work out why Sei wanted you away from the Ice Henge another day. For now, let’s continue with caution. The Henge only keeps the Old Gods from leaving, inside we face them on their terms. Their angry, pissed off, brute strength terms.” She adjusted her bodice and wiped the dried blood from her hand. She let the empty vial drop to the snow and crack, venting the last essence of a mystic’s soul mingle with the melting snow. They walked on, oblivious to the storm brewing inside.