As soundless as the shadows that stretched long with the evening, Breaker crept up on the gate. He needed to get as close as possible in order for the plan to work. His shoulder grated against the rough outer palace wall. He was nearing the point where the curvature would stop hiding him, and he’d be potentially visible to the guards standing either side of the gate. It was the same gate he and Simone had escaped through earlier, but with search parties Ranja had also sent out additional guards. Everything at that point depended on Simone.

The succubus came down the winding path toward the gate at the perfect moment, just as the guards came into Breaker’s sight. He could see them, but they did not see him - they were focused on the female demon, who approached with a flick in her hips and a smile on her lips.

“Hello lovelies,” she called to the masked guards. “How are you this fine Haidian evening?”

“Who are you?” One of the guards asked somewhat gruffly, but there was no real menace behind his tone. He shouldered his halberd and glanced at his compatriot. Unfortunately, when he glanced, his eyes fell on Breaker.

Close enough.

The prizefighter lifted both hands, and bolts of pure energy shot forth. The white light struck each demon in the chest, and they fell, the cauterized holes in their abdomens yawning at the sky.

“Quickly,” Breaker said, and wrenched the gate open, waving Simone in ahead of him.

They managed to avoid detection crossing the courtyard, and entered the palace using the same old stairwell through which they’d fled. Once again Breaker deferred to Simone’s knowledge of the palace, and they made their way through dimly lit hallways and sparsely decorated rooms.

“Where are we going?” Josh asked at last in a voice quieter than a whisper.

“To Ranja’s bedchamber,” Simone responded gravely, “if I know him like I think I do… that will be the first place he’ll want to take Leila.”

At that Breaker’s pace doubled, and he nearly left the succubus behind.

“Wait!” She called, hurrying to catch up. “It’s this way. There will be many guards soon… it will be a true test of your skill, prizefighter.”

“It’s probably best if you watch my back then,” Josh said. He kicked up his foot and snatched a black diamond dagger out of its sheath on his boot and passed the blade to Simone. “If anyone sneaks up behind me, stab them in the neck. That’s where their armor and flesh will be weakest.”

“You know an awful lot about demon anatomy and armor,” Simone commented with a raised eyebrow.

“I know a lot about killing.” Breaker said grimly.