The guards there looked from Stare to Nevin briefly, but then went back to their meals. It seemed, though they did not recognise Nevin, that Stare’s very presence was enough to assist. She nodded at the alchemist before moving past him.

“This way,” she said calmly, though there was a defiant line of anxiety through her voice. Keeping herself collected and poised, however, was a practise of hers, through months of careful negotiation and public appearances at Vitruvion’s side. Nevin saw her true self, Vitruvion also, but right now she was playing the part of the steady-hearted aide.

Back into the hall she led the alchemist, and then from there into another door. They came to a small room, with two chairs in it and a door beyond that was bolted and secured. In the room itself was a truly huge man who had tiny eyes and a mass of hair. He seemed to be reading a romance novel and grunted as they entered.

“Hey Brer,” Stare softly said to the guard. “This is Nevin. A friend of mine. He is here to try to solve our mage problem.”

The giant of a man, who was in truth half-giant, looked from the kenku to the red-head and then grumbled and nodded. Tossing her the keys he gave a short, happy smile before returning to his book. Stare let out a satisfied sigh before going forth and opening the door. First the lock, then she rested her hand on the bolt. She glanced back at Nevin … before opening the door.

And revealing the messed, ragged mage who lay sprawled on the bed, a single fetter and chain running from his ankle to the wall.

“All yours,” she whispered, and stepped back.

Nevin slowly entered the chamber noting that the mage barely twitched his head in the alchemist’s direction. The redhead coughed lightly and nodded, moving over to slowly approach the mage. The man gave a low snarl at Nevin’s approach, baring his teeth in a display of defiance.

“You useless pricks haven't broken me. I won't tell you what you want to know, you might as well kill me now.” Nevin raised an eyebrow at this - the man was more coherent than he had expected. Coherent, but weak - he tried to stand up, but even before the chain attached to his ankle rattled the captive collapsed with a disgusted gasp.

“Peace, neighbor. I'm not in their employ - I'm an outside contractor who was asked to come in and make sure you were in good health.” Nevin slowly sank into a cross-legged position in front of the mage, who spat onto the floor between them. “Now, now. They’ve decided they won't be getting information from you, but apparently there is someone who is willing to pay for your… Return, or delivery, they didn't bother telling me which, just that a healer was needed to check on you. Can you eat?” He set the plate of bread down on the ground, and watched as the mage’s hand snaked out, snatching the hunk of bread from platter. A few moments passed as the mage tore into the heavy bread, his eyes trained on Nevin.