Breaker could have kept pace with the rampaging Delath, but he would never refuse a ride on dragonback. Though not so enthralling as soaring over the sands of Fallien on a griffin, the earth dragon made for a mighty steed. Josh pondered Shinsou’s findings and Am’aleh’s words as they rode, and then dismounted alongside the others.

“Welcome to Scara Brae,” an older man with barely any pepper left in his salty hair said. He wore expensive sifan clothing and a badge of office, and the knights of the royal guard seemed there to protect him more than anything else. “I am a special advisor to the queen herself. We welcome aid from the Brotherhood of Castigars in this time of tragedy. Please come in, but I fear your ah… steed must remain outside the walls.”

“Delath will be fine,” Philomel smiled, “stay nearby, darling,” she whispered to the dragon, and he dove back into the earth.

“My name is Petyr,” the well dressed man said as he led the trio and their compatriots through the vaulted gates. A crowd of smallfolk had gathered nearby to watch the coming heroes, or perhaps to witness the harbingers of their doom. “You may come straight to the palace, if your retainers would like to see to the horses,” Petyr continued. “I have had our librarians pull archives on everything related to vanishing villages and ships we could find. Natural disasters, trickster deities, sea monsters…”

“They’re likely looking in the wrong place,” Shinsou said ponderously, “tell them to check for monsters, but those specifically linked to the Thayne Draconus.”

Petyr exchanged a few words with one of the guards, and the man sprinted ahead to notify the librarians, his armor and weapons rattling.

“What did you discover at the disaster site?” He asked.

“I’ll explain once we’re inside,” Shinsou said. Petyr nodded and increased his pace. They marched through the streets, up the carved stone steps, and into the lantern-lit corridors of the great palace. The queen’s advisor led them down to the first sub-basement, to a room filled with tables and chairs, all of which were covered in books, tomes, scrolls and loose bits of parchment. It looked like someone had carried half of a small library into the room and distributed the contents equally around.

“My apologies for the mess,” Petyr said, “please, clear off chairs and sit down.” He followed his own advice, while the six knights who had followed them into the room took up stations at all angles.

“The guards really aren’t necessary,” Breaker commented, “you couldn’t be safer than when you’re with us.”

“You’ll have to forgive me again,” Petyr said, “but according to our information from the Citadel, Mister Vaan Osiris is capable of wielding three swords at once, Madame Van der Art can transform into an unseemly monster, and you might as well be an Alerian powder keg.” The old man steepled his fingers. “The queen places a great value on my life, and feels more comfortable that I remain under guard while meeting with you.”

“Whatever makes you all comfortable, then.” Shinsou said.

At that moment Arius arrived, flanked by two more of the knights. He reported to Shinsou, detailing that the horses and men had been stowed in appropriate accommodations, and that the Feisty Fox had been seen sailing into harbor. Shinsou thanked the man, but as was often the case, had another assignment for him.

“We’ll be here for hours getting papercuts, from the looks of it.” The Telgradian commented. “Meanwhile, I want your boots on Coronian ground. Go to the cavern by Serenti where Breaker discovered Draconus and see if you find anything of import.”

Arius gave a casual salute and then opened a portal from thin air and stepped through. The two knights guarding him looked at each other in alarm as the hole snapped shut behind their charge.

“Oh, nevermind about him.” Petyr snapped at them. “Return to your duties.”

“The rest of us had better get down to it,” Breaker said, taking a seat and blowing dust off the closest leather-bound volume. He peered at the words on the cover. “How many of you can read ancient Dheathic?” Silence greeted the question. “Right, I guess this one is mine then.” Chairs scraped and pages rustled as the three warriors and the queen’s advisor began the gargantuan task of finding a needle of information in a haystack of pages.