“Well…” Killian chewed his fingernails pensively for a moment. “I can certainly empathise.”

“War and time has changed this island.” Lilith, forgetting the pressing questions about Arden for a moment, reflected on their combined experience. “How have you faired since the Cult’s insurrection?”

Killian shook his head.

“Not too well, I’m afraid. You managed to purge our ranks of Cassandra’s maniacs, but it took years before we could muster our full strength. The fleet had to retreat to our own shores because we were spread to thin, and our diplomatic relations have suffered since.” The captain pointed at the map unfurled on the table before him. Several pins and ominous daggers were pinned into at relevant points. Arden and Lilith pulled their stools closer to investigate.

“What are we looking at?” The swordsman focussed on the dagger piercing the Brokenthorn woods.

“These mark sightings of Innari or conflicts in the last week alone. Whoever the Queen sent on the first contact mission was either an incompetent twat, or he’s done a fine job of returning the goblins to the populous.” He snorted. “We can’t manage all of it on our own, which is why Her Majesty turned to the one group of misfits that are renowned for sifting through horse shit to find gold.”

Lilith giggled.

“Well, I guess that’s about the sum of what we do.” She pointed to the pin on the northern walls on the capital. “Is this where the siege is concentrated?”

“Yes.” Slowly but surely, Killian pushed himself out of his seat and began to pour three shots of what could only be rum into pottery goblets. The smell alone woke the trio up long before they took it with thanks and drained it eagerly. When the burning sensation stopped, the captain continued. “They’ve not attacked the walls in two nights, but the campfires light the plains and the drums…those fucking drums, are sending my men to their graves.”

“How did I not notice this?” Arden folded his arms gruffly across his chest.

“You’ve been hiding away in your little bolthole for a month now. I have long been involved in Killian’s efforts to broker peace, so I had to do a little covert operation myself to get you to come out into the light of day again.”

“I’ve been busy…” he replied defensively.

“And you’ll be busier yet, we set sail as soon as the rest of the cargo is below deck, and I can knock some sense into the boatswain.”

“You could have just told me straight. I thought you and Ruby were off on a sabbatical ‘finding yourself’.” Arden looked at his sister searchingly, a glint telling he was experiencing a moment of emotion masqueraded behind his stubborn demeanour.

Lilith and Ruby had ventured into the Brokenthorn forest with Philomel, a plucky faun with the resources of a Queen to put Valeena’s scheme into motion a fortnight prior. When it had succeeded, she returned to Killian to rebuild burnt bridges and start to right her own wrongs.

“Akashima owes a great debt to the Knights of Brae for protecting it’s borders during the civil war in Corone. As envoy to Scara Brae I found Killian to be most accommodating to repaying the favour.” She had not made the connection between Captain Jeremiah and the sergeant of yesteryear until she had mentioned Arden in passing during a war council.

“You let me drone on for hours about the virtues of aiding the Queen last night.”

“Hours and hours…,” the assassin chuckled.

“Jeesh, more rum it is.” Killian shook his head as the siblings continued to bicker and poured them all a second lubricating measure. They all sipped it this time, not too eager to remove a layer of their throat quit so readily.

“Who is in charge now?”

“Of the Knights?” Killian furrowed his brow, struggling to remember through a rush of blood to the head. “Knight Commander Sesthal, and four Knight Guarda beneath her form the command. Then you’ve got six Knight Provost, including yours truly, serving as commanding officers in each of the five duchies and one to command the navy.”

“So, you’re a Knight-Admiral?”

“Whatever makes it easier to understand. Why is that important?”

“Arden’s one for the detail.” Lilith raised her glass in her brother’s direction. “It’s why I insisted he be part of our adventure.”

“If it’s logistics you’re after, you’d be better off with Leopold.” He snorted. “He likes number crunching more than life.”

“Oh, you thought we wanted you for your brains Hound?” Killian shook his head. “Not remotely. We want you with us because there is, in the history of this island’s heroes and villains no better man to settle a fight than The Silent Swordsman.”

“Who, I regret to inform you, is not damned silent enough sometimes.”

Arden stuck out of his tongue to the both and finished his drink. He set the goblet down on the edge of the desk and stood. He still had questions, but deep down, he had to admire Lilith for pulling the wool over his eyes and fending for herself. She had come a long way since they’d fought Komodo together and freed Akashima from it’s tyrannical past. He, on the other hand, had changed not one bit.

“So, I think I’m about all caught up.” He ran his tongue along his bottom lip and leant on the desk, both knuckles buckling down on the hard-stained oak. “I guess my plan is out the window if I’m just the hired muscle, so what’s our aim?” He started intently at Jeremiah with his one good eye, the other glassy orb lifeless and menacing.