Level completed: 51%, EXP required for next Level: 5,394
    Level completed: 51%,
    EXP required for next Level: 5,394

GP

Name
    Avis Tsakaka
    Race
    Kenku / Tengu
    “To answer your question, Guilia,” Vitruvion said, in a voice like silk, but his eyes never moving from Stare's, “Stare does not know, would not know, the traditions of Hernsford. For although, as you say, she is a slave, she is of our continent, where such things are not practised, unless under exceptional circumstances.”

Guilia was stunned for a moment, as she gazed at the handsome man. Then, with a gasp the woman got to her feet and descended into the lowest curtsey she could create. Vitruvion's smile grew and he finally drew his gaze from Stare to acknowledge Guilia.

There is no one nearby, he said with purpose into her mind. Nobody heard her say anything. Or I. I have established a silence enchantment around us.

Thank you, she sighed with honest relief.
    “Sir Elssmith,” Guilia lowered her eyes. “I apologise, sir, for sitting and not asking. Stare explained that-”

“Stare explained everything correctly,” Vitruvion said, pushing himself off the doorpost. He switched his cane from one hand to the other and started to walk into the room. “You may sit where you wish here, so long as it is not in the way of my business, your own master's business, or you should really be doing something else.” He came to a slow half in front of Stare, his eyes now fixed on Guilia.

The human woman was stunned. She glanced at Stare, who had her hands curled into light fists and gripping part of her extraordinary smart tunic.

“Yes sir, thank you sir,” Guilia murmured.

“Hmm,” Vitruvion nodded, and then held out his hand to Stare, wordless. It took her a moment to figure out what he wanted, for his eyes were still not on her and he said nothing.

Slowly she took the huge book from the table and held it up to him, slipping it into his hand. She felt the weight being taken as his fingers slipped around the spine, each one curling like a trap, seizing the massive thing with the literal strength of a god.

“Guilia, Stare will show you, in a moment, the rooms downstairs. Right now, if you could, please give us a moment.”

The Hernsfordan swallowed, but then nodded and curtseyed again. Glancing once at Stare she gave her a small apologetic smile before heading out. Vitruvion watched her, and Stare saw the smallest flicker of a movement from a finger. The door creaked and swung closed of its own accord after her.
    It was only then that he took a small breath and moved his eyes over to Stare. She was caught back underneath his powerful, cool gaze.

“I trust Rafael … you settled him in adequately?”

The kenku gave a small shrug. “As best as I could. Rooms were all ready when he came.”

He nodded slightly, “I will have Rafael have a word with Guilia about talking of your enslavement out loud.”

Stare flinched with the word and tore her eyes away. There was a silence.

“Well?” He said, as if asked for something.

Thank you,” she muttered. “But I hate this entire situation. Having it thrown in my face over and over again.”

He blinked for a moment as all the emotions - disgust, stress, pressure, even fear - flowed through her and burned into his consciousness from her. There was a small hesitation, and he took a long breath before moving his cane and the book to one arm. Stretching forwards his now free hand he very gently stroked a long line up the nose ridge of her beak, up onto the feathers and the crown of her head. Smoothly, he pulled the fingers around the side of her face, around by the curve of her jaw, as she sat there, still and stunned, eyes huge, not sure what he was doing. Steadily, his eyes held hers, and he did not flinch until he finished with a single finger beneath her beak.

“I know exactly how much you hate it, Stare,” he whispered, “I feel it daily from you, but it means that there is another barrier from anyone ever taking you away from me. Nobody now can ever pressure you into anything without referring to me. It is your last and bear safeguard from harm, and the way that, if you are ever lost beyond my control, then there is at least one last thing I can do.” Slowly he removed his hand. “You will need to bear these few weeks, and then our lives will go back to normal.”
    Last edited by Philomel; 01-14-2018 at 08:31 PM.
    Crows: Old nursery rhyme "One for sorrow, Two for mirth, Three for a funeral, Four for birth, Five for heaven, Six for hell, Seven for the devil, his own self."