He was a completely different colour. His black feathers had been dulled to an ugly, dusty white-grey. And they were less shimmering, less proud. But was the same height as she remembered, he held himself the same way - as a warrior. He had the same build, wore the same etchu-fundoshi style clothing, which was a glorified form of loincloth. He also had the same very distinctive rose red spark in his pale, boney eyes.

It had to be him. But last Stare had known … he was dead.

“Oh my …” she murmured, keeping a cautious few paces back from the shed’s interior but longing to do nothing more than to run and throw her arms around him. She tried a smile to her eyes, but it came out pained and awkward.

“Oh Avin,” she said faster. “I can't believe you are here. Alive! It's - hells you don't know anything. We're - oh my,” she ran a hand through her feathers at her head. “Ansaldo's balls, how are you here? What happened-”

And she tried to take a stumbled, excited step towards him. But he quickly growled. He lowered his naginata - that weapon he had treasured beyond all others - and pointed the bladed end at her stomach.

Stare froze, and her eyes went large. “Avin … What is wrong with you? It's me, Stare … I mean Avis! You know, your-”

Stare? came a confused voice. What is going on? Your thoughts, they are ...

Vitruvion, it's my brother! she said hurriedly, her eyes on the pale but so familiar stranger. He was acting … strange, definitely, but she was so certain of his identity.

There was an unsteady pause. Stare … is he the perpetrator?

She sighed and looked past Avin into the shed. True enough there were four corpses of cows inside, their bodies bleeding still. Sir looked back to Avin.

And saw the confusion in his eyes. Her brow rose and then she realised …

“Avin,” she looked at him seriously. “You know who I am right?”

The pale kenku, still with his naginata lowered and pointed at her, his body in a ready crouch snarled.

“Yes,” he growled. “You are my enemy.”

Stare’s blood drained and if one could see her skin … they would say it had gone deathly pale. Like the bastard … no her brother before her.

“Oh fuck,” she whispered, fitting the pieces together. “Oh my …” she looked at him with great sorrow. “Avin, I'm your sister. You've forgotten, you must have, but we'll get you help.”

She felt sorrow stab at her heart as she sent out the plea. Vitruvion, I think he has memory loss. Can you help him? I don't know what has happened to him ...

I am on my way, the god grunted, and she sensed him spin on the spot where he was on a long cobbled road and start up towards her. Look behind you. I need to know where you are.

Stare nodded, and nodded briefly to Avin before she turned. She gave Vitruvion a long look at the trees and buildings behind her, showing him just where in the city.

Be quick, she began. I think he-

But that was all she said. At least that was all Vitruvion heard. Because at that point Avin lost it, and decided to act on one of his primary orders - bring about the downfall of Vitruvion Elssmith.

His enemy with her back to him he jabbed forwards, and struck the back of her neck. Right in, knowing the body of a kenku so well. So firm. Stab! Right at the brain stem.

Right at the brain stem.

Instaneous.

Death.