I tilted my head to the side. I confused her? Good. That meant she was listening, hearing, and trying to comprehend. Confusion was an excellent first step, past hatred and disgust, towards eliminating that prejudice that had burned in her eyes before. But - but what was that. A child, missing? Worrisome enough on its own - the young needed to be protected, they had not had a chance to decide what they wanted to be in life. But - it was the beast that she claimed was in the area that truly caught my attention.

A Medusa. She of the hungry, staring eyes. My blood, which had been simmering, roared to life. Here, then, was a Hunt. A worthy Hunt, against a foul Beast that stalked the land and threatened people. I forced the hungry smile down, letting not a trace of it show in my lips. I couldn't help the way my eyes lit up in anticipation.

“Why. Good Priestess. You do know, Huntsmen are trained trackers?” Now I did let my lips slowly curl into a smile. “And - I know of measures to take against such a Beast.” My blood was humming in my veins, anticipation burning in my chest.

Philomel's eyes flickered back to mine, and for a brief moment they were full of hope, and her lips were parted with a soft gasp ... but then it was gone, to be replaced with irritation. “You're not getting away from here that easily. Tell me these measures, if you will.” I let out a short, sharp laugh. Even if they knew the measures, they needed a tracker, and she knew it.

“Very well. I care not to escape, but to Hunt. I will help yours, this time. If it is a true Medusa, ‘ware the gaze. Polished metal will deflect the petrification inherent to them. If you could obtain a shield with a mirror set in, then you might be able to truly reflect the gaze, and use it against the beast. If it is more a Gorgon - a closely related monster - then keep your distance, and fill it with arrows. Their stone entombment works through the bites of the snakes that make up their hair, and their hands.” I rolled my shoulders and sat back. An offering, and I knew the priestess would recognize it for the peace it was offering.

“Is there a way to reverse the stone spell, if it is already set in?” her eyes were steady on mine. I paused at this. I did - I did know of one. But. I sighed.

“A magical one? I know not. You are more likely to have that knowledge than I.” Carefully, I looked away from her. I would not force her to use something she clearly detested.

Her eyes went stone. And her breath was short, her body going still. There was clear tension in her jaw as she calculated what I was saying.

“So there is one that is not magical,” she stated more than asked. I gave a slow, methodical nod. Breath rushed from her lungs and she closed her eyes. “I see,” she replied thickly. “I do not want to know any more about that, thank you.” I - well. I would not force her. I merely nodded again.

“Well. Mirrors, polished metal, and bows. That is the optimal method of dealing with either of those races. You'll know which is it, by the liveliness of the snakes. If they are active, writhing, squirming. It is a gorgon. If they hang limp except when she screams, a Medusa.” I gave one last bit of advice. Internally, I was raging. I took back my statement about her not being stupid -

No. She was a damn idiot. Her daughter was in danger, and rather than hear the cure, she dismissed it, and dismissed help. I hoped that her daughter stayed safe - because if not, I didn't think the mother would be able to help. Damnation, you titfaun, your prejudice may hurt your child! But - but I bit my tongue, literally, and remained silent.

Philomel stood up abruptly, and stalked out of the cell, leaving it with a slam and a click of the lock. I sighed, then spat the blood in my mouth the side. “I pray your daughter is safe.” I muttered softly, shaking my head.