“You’re right….” Amari said, watching as he broke into a run. Didn’t Jake say that he wasn’t annoyed or upset with her? Amari had been so incredibly happy knowing that...knowing that Jake was enjoying her company as much as she was enjoying his. She liked being around him, she felt safe and content - but he always did this. He got moody with her, he’d shrug her off and he’d wander off… or in this case...run off. Amari told herself she’d have to sit down with Jake and discuss this later. He was giving her mixed signals and it bothered her. Just what was she doing wrong? For now...

“Joshua..” Amari began, glancing at the ground around her, “It’s like - all this nature. It’s attracted to me, I suppose I could say the same with animals. You recall the bear?”

“I do.” Breaker said with a chuckle as he approached Amari, pausing to pluck a flower from the ground. “made friends with it?” he jested as he deftly placed it i behind her ear.

“yY yeh. What did you want to talk about?” Amari asked. Flushed, his action, whilst kind seemed to fluster her. She had to crane her neck up to see him. Gosh.. He still smelt like the ocean.

“You,” Breaker said, a twinkle in his eye. He gestured for her to walk with him and led the way down the trail in Jake’s wake. “You seem happy enough, but I know you have great pain… I can see it etched on your skin, your very soul. I’d like to find a way to help you with that, if I may. But also… I see great potential with that. If you’re interested… I could train you. Not like Jake. I’d teach you to be a stronger version of what you already are.”

“I'd love that.” Amari commented, stepping closer toward him and grabbing his arm. Now she Wasn't glowing the cold nipped at her and formed goosebumps. She visibly shivered, not just from the cold but the bitter memories. “I've..dealt with difficult things...I think its almost what triggered what happened...Jake mentioned my brother and…” Amari shook her head. The way she acted...was that why Jake was mad at her? She had to get stronger, that way she wouldn’t annoy him by being so dependent on him. “Yes please I would love your help.” She reiterated as she tightened her grip. “where would we start?”

“Let’s head back to Underwood,” he suggested, “these woods can be dangerous at night. And… there’s something I’d like to show you.”

Amari nodded. “I don’t feel unsafe here though but…” Underwood was where Jake would have gone back to. “I trust you.” Amari said.

“Good,” Josh smiled, “I won’t let you down.” He led the way back along the path. As they neared the treeline and the Dansdel grounds beyond, the sounds of shouting reached their ears. “Hurry,” Josh said suddenly, increasing his pace. They broke through the treeline in time to see three youths standing over a fourth, mercilessly beating him with staves.

Hey!” Breaker yelled, and his voice struck the young men like a thunderbolt. They dropped their weapons and scattered as Josh and Amari raced to the fallen man’s side.

“Oh, thanks for stopping by.” Jake said ruefully as he sat up, holding his ribs and spitting out blood.

Amari dropped to her knees. “Jake!” she carefully picked him up and set his head in her lap. “Jake…I’m sorry this is my fault.” Amari felt so guilty, if he hadn’t run off, if she hadn’t said whatever it was she had said to piss him off...Amari’s grip on him tightened, and that same strange glow came from her palms and soaked into Jakes body. His wounds began to dissipate, at least the smaller ones. The cuts and bruises. Amari flinched, only slightly as her breath stilled. She felt it. She felt his pain. The pain of all the wounds inflicted on him, for a moment she was worried that they’d be visible on her, but upon further inspection her body was clear.

“I uh…” She wasn’t sure what to do, so, as always, she looked up at Joshua. “Joshua??”