Ar’Tuel? She had never shown nor mentioned anything about that to him. Scarlet rolled out of the bed and backed away from him.

“Who the FUCK are you?” She spat, her dark eyes were wild. Angry. Confused. Was this whole thing a set up? Something made to fuck her over? Why else would he come up with such a stupid and congrulated story? Something so convenient to him?

Scarlet growled as ethereal snakes emerged from her back. “Who the fuck are you?” She repeated. She was sore… she was tired and her body still twitched from their sex.

“My name was Fil’ayn Kiljarden. I was married to Amari Kiljarden for eight hundred and thirty seven years, and knew her for two hundred or so before that. Ky’lin was our daughter, a light in our lives. Until those fucking bastards one day figured out that Amari and Ky’lin had magic. They killed my wife and child in front of me - and by the time what was inside of me woke up, it was too fucking late and they were dead and I could not save them.” He didn't turn, didn't look at her - but she could hear self-hatred in his voice.

This sounded… strange. Very strange. “Drow don’t live that long.” I growled.

“She was Ar’Tuel. I was, am, moon-touched. We don't have these silver eyes naturally.” He tapped his temple.

Scarlet wasn’t sure what to think. The snakes faded. “You think...you expect me to believe some fuckin’ random lover from a past life just so happens to rock up and find me in this one?” Scarlet held her hand to her head. This was… a lot to take in.

“Even if that were the case. I’m not her. I’m a different person.”

“No, you aren't her.” He agreed calmly. Still not turning away from the window. “And I would not want you to be her.”

Scarlet sighed and slid down till she hit the floor, still bleeding. He finally turned - and she saw the reason he hadn't been turning around. The fucking sap had been crying again, but he had at least stopped. He took a deep breath.

“I should go. You - you don't need me here right now.” Mechanical motions had him close his trousers, and he swung his coat back up onto his shoulders. He swallowed, and she could see the apple in his throat bob.

“I said this was your night.” She said. “Sit your fuckin’ ass down.” He paused. Lowly, carefully, he folded himself, sitting on the floor across from her.

“You said it was my night before you knew I was - a past life’s husband. I won't hold you to that.”

“I’m a lot of horrid things, but I also am a creature of her word. I may not like it but I will keep it.” Scarlet tilted her head to the side.

“Some of it makes sense, when you look at it logically…” She mused. He remained silent, watching her. Scarlet lowered her gaze to her lap. “I thought it odd we were strikingly similar. I still think so. There is something that doesn’t quite add up in that regard - but the…” She paused and tried to put her thoughts into words.

“The comfort.” She said finally. “I thought it odd. I don’t feel that with anyone, with anything. If I did the onset of that wouldn’t happen after a few brief encounters.”

He gave a slow, steady nod. He was not pushing her, letting her work through this without interfering.

“Sex was...remarkably good, I shouldn’t have gone that far with you - but it was …” Scarlet sighed as she ran her fingers along the bruising of her body. “Something I’d want again.”

She wasn’t sure where she should go with this, or what she should do with that information. “How much do you know, of the Ar’Tuel?” She asked looking back up at him.

“They are tied to nature. Almost intrinsically. Their emotions effect the environment - a happy, healthy should Ar’Tuel will heal and promote growth. Their souls are - infinite batteries, almost. Living energy sources. I - met my wife,” he avoided saying her name. “When we were examining.. Fuck. What was it. ‘Potential alternative energy sources and their allocation.’ some stupid long named class at a university.”

“Well Ar’Tuel were nearly wiped out by those who sought to use them as batteries.” Scarlet mused. “Not that I care of course. They were destined to fail. Pacifist, loving creatures who saw naught but the good in everything? In a world like this - such a species deserves to be plundered for resources.”

Hunter flinched at her words. There was an anger in those silver eyes - then he drove his fingers into his leg, shutting himself up. Scarlet shrugged. “Right. So you know enough. You know what happens when this -” She pointed to herself. “Gets fully corrupted?”

“A dark, corruptive poison that would devastate the land, leaving nothing alive in its wake.” A muscle in his jaw worked.

She nodded. “That’s what I will become.” There was no hesitation in her voice. It was an acceptance. One beaten into her, forced onto her. “Ar’Tuel cannot die by normal means. They’d just revive. Do you remember your wife...this past me was killed?”

He stilled. Closed his eyes. “They flooded her and Ky’lin with magic suppressing drugs. Things that shut down all but the barest level of their functions. It was - they spent thousands of gold to make enough to overcome the near limitless font of energy that is the Ar’Tuel soul.”

Scarlet shifted closer to Hunter, crawling toward him. “I know a better way.” She mused. “One that would stop the rebirth cycle. I’ve experienced it. It almost felled me. Want to hear it?” She was pushing him. She knew that. She knew he wasn’t emotionally stable and yet she couldn’t help herself.

Silver eyes slowly opened and locked onto her. He looked - torn.

Scarlet continued, shifting closer still. “Magicyte. It almost killed me. It literally just saps me up. Just like your drow friends at the university sucked up the energy of my race. Poof. I’d cease to exist. Cease to rebirth. Master has it. He knows - and I suspect he’s been poisoning me with it.”

He steeled, giving a low hiss.

“I’m not telling you this to upset you Hunter. You said you’d kill me if I turned into a beast. Now you know how.” Those silver eyes widened - then closed.

“Right…” He drew himself upright, straightening his back. When they opened again, his eyes had lost some of their glow. Scarlet didn’t like that. But they still lit up internally, softer, subdued. “Right. But I still - I still intend to hold. To the other promise I made. I will be here for you, as whatever you need. I do not want you to become a beast - far less so than before, even.”

“Sit with me.” He blinked. Looked to his lap, then the bed, then the wall.

“Just tell me where. Or whatever you need.” He did shrug his coat off, letting it fall to the floor in a crumpled heap. She crawled to him and nestled herself into his lap.

“We cannot keep doing this.” His arms went around her, a comforting grasp.

“I will do it as long as you need me to, dawn girl. “

“I’m not your dead wife.” Scarlet insisted. She said it more for herself than for him. She wasn’t allowed the luxury of connections, of enjoyment. She couldn’t fall for another who would only fail her at a later date.

“No. You're Dawn girl. My - boss. My ally. And I am whatever you need me to be.”

Scarlet lowered her head. It was better that way. No connections no feelings no sentimentality. And yet he held her in his arms, comforting her. This wasn’t fair. This was already hurting. Scarlet should have known something was up when she first ran into him and felt that initial spark. That initial something. She should have turned away and left him be, but no - she had to push things. She had to instigate and get involved. Her chest already hurt.

“Eight hundred years I was with her. I will stay with you as long as you need, as long as you want me to. I owe you that much.”

“I’m not her…” Scarlet repeated through clenched teeth,

“No, you aren't. I am not saying you are. What I am saying is the promise I made is not going to waver, not going to falter.”

Scarlet wasn’t his wife. She never would be. She forced her eyes shut. She….a part of her wanted to be that person.

“Hunter. This night is still yours.” He chuckled, a soft, strained noise - then drew her into a tender, lingering kiss. She went to pull away. She had to. If she didn’t she’d….

She’d fall into the kiss with a murmur, wrapping her arms around his shoulders. There was a content, happy groan deep in his throat and he curled his arms around her waist.