I watched as again, the crazy midget tore through Scarlet’s flesh like it was nothing. There was a heartbeat of a pause, then my eyes went wide and glowed. I dodged the blow from Taka - Zero - whatever the sword slinger called himself - and launched myself at the two women. I planted my boot in the psycho midget’s side and flung her away from dawn girl, fury making my kick use my full strength. I caught the falling body and cradled it to my chest. She was already cooling - already growing still and limp in my arms. Her gold-ringed eyes stared up at me and for a moment I saw recognition in them, then that light faded away and all I was left with was those damn, glassy orbs. Molten rage turned to ice in my chest.

“Really, this is the help you offer? Death?” I spat out, my head lifting up. I was watching the swordsman carefully, prepared to dodge again. These people - did they truly think nothing of killing one of their own? It was despicable. I knew that the woman in my arms had done it too - and I did resent her for it as well - but damn them all, death should be reserved for beasts, not for allies and friends.

“Death isn't the end, failure isn't the end, accepting a pattern of defeat, that is the end,” Zero hissed. He drew his second blade and held it before him, before he began a flurry of slashes and strike at me. The blows - connected, as I sheltered the body. I let the change come as the blades descended, a heavy, weighty feeling sinking over me. My skin shifted hue as I cradled the still form in my arms. There was an odd sound, as metal - rang against stone. He growled out and hissed, “Gaijin sorcery!”

Blazing silver eyes shot up and locked onto him as I glared at him. “What, you thought me just a normal man?” I spat at him as he reeled back. I carefully shifted dawn girl’s body to the ground and stood up, locking eyes with the swordsman. “I am far from it.” Fine. Fine, if he wanted to fight - a fight he would get. Dawn girl didn't want me to die. My skin shifted back, aching as blood welled under my clothes where he had struck. I flicked my Saw-Spear out and I rolled my shoulders.

“I've brought the gold back to her eyes. You want to take that away. I had hoped otherwise.”

“Nothing has changed!” Taka roared, “You think you have but nothing has changed! She begged us to kill her so she could remain loyal to a man that deserves to rot in the deepest pits of Jigoku! I have endured torture, pain, and humiliation for her, and you think in a few months you can do what I sacrificed everything I was for?”

She tried to die to save me!” I snarled. “Just like she did when that fucker showed up and killed her in front of me - she chose her own death to prevent mine then, and she tried to do it now! You think nothing has changed?! I waited a century to see her again!” When the hell had this bastard, this fallen warrior, gotten under *my* skin enough to make me angry enough to yell? But this - this fighter, he had gone through hell in a month. Which had it worse - seeing wife and daughter cut down before them, or seeing your lover, emotionless, be the one who killed you?