EXP required for next Level: 7,087

GP

Name
    Max Dirks
    Race
    Human

View Profile
    Quote Originally Posted by TaintedBushido View Post
    Maybe if you didn't hide feedback behind a paywall people would be more inclined to seek it out. We had someone who was doing shit posts in the Workshop threads for AP so he could buy a boat. He even freely admitted to it, when it was painfully clear he wasn't following along with the threads in question and asked questions that could have been answered if he had read them. The quality of feedback is greatly diminished by such acts it makes the entire workshop principal a joke and not a particularly funny one at that.
    That particular situation is being handled. We're drafting very clear expectations for feedback to get certain awards. As to the so-called "paywall," the reality is even with our diminished forces and the so-called decreased in quality of writing at the site (which is patently false, Mr. Shinsou), I simply do not have the staff resources to offer "free" judgments. Yes, that's what makes Althanas unique, but like I said before I don't really have people jumping at the bit to join staff and judge. For the foreseeable future, I plan to keep things in the realm of you get out what you put in.

EXP: 31,911, Level: 7
    Level completed: 62%, EXP required for next Level: 3,089
    Level completed: 62%,
    EXP required for next Level: 3,089

GP

Name
    Taka
    Quote Originally Posted by Max Dirks View Post
    That particular situation is being handled. We're drafting very clear expectations for feedback to get certain awards. As to the so-called "paywall," the reality is even with our diminished forces and the so-called decreased in quality of writing at the site (which is patently false, Mr. Shinsou), I simply do not have the staff resources to offer "free" judgments. Yes, that's what makes Althanas unique, but like I said before I don't really have people jumping at the bit to join staff and judge. For the foreseeable future, I plan to keep things in the realm of you get out what you put in.
    Oh no, I totally agree we don't have the resources for it. However, I also think that the system as is currently encoruages spamming on both ends, and that the rewards for meaningful contribution don't equate to much beyond those of merely participating. Especially when the costs of things are so high.

Supreme Overlord

EXP: 96,913, Level: 13
    Level completed: 50%, EXP required for next Level: 7,087
    Level completed: 50%,

GP

Name
    Max Dirks
    Race
    Human

View Profile
    Quote Originally Posted by TaintedBushido View Post
    Oh no, I totally agree we don't have the resources for it. However, I also think that the system as is currently encoruages spamming on both ends, and that the rewards for meaningful contribution don't equate to much beyond those of merely participating. Especially when the costs of things are so high.
    On the flip side, if they care enough to cheat the system, it means they care for the site. As long as there are systems and Althanas remains partially a game, there will be ways to exploit it. I'll close off the most one sided loopholes, but I intentionally leave a lot of them open, particularly w/ spoils and the bazaar (that no one yet has picked up on, but I like giving competitive advantage to those willing to look for it).

Supreme Overlord

GP

Name
    Max Dirks
    Race
    Human

View Profile
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinsou Vaan Osiris View Post
    1. The absolute abolition of auto-scoring 65 for workshops
    Althanas means a lot of things to different people. I'll tell you right now, from an ownership perspective, all I care about is activity. The trend of writing right now is for fun. Indeed, Lorenor showed me Valucre today and they have over 100 active members with no judgment system. We are cooler than them, offer more draws, yet are far behind in activity. Flexibility in writing is paramount to any choice I make for Althanas. You all might disagree, but that's why I see things how I do. Auto scoring of 65 in workshops was designed to get more people to use them, and it seems to have worked.
    2. If number one is impossible, then this:

More workshop feedback.

Seriously, guys. If we ARE going to maintain the status quo, then let's make a solid effort to give the people who submit there with good intentions some actual feedback. Dirks has wanted for some time a policy whereby one member of staff is required to post at least one piece of feedback on each workshop, whoever it is. Let's do it, me included. I have no valid excuse (other than time, but who has that anyway) to not do it either.
    I totally agree. We made workshop prizes ridiculous, yet no one (save a select few contribute). What can I do to change this. From a staffing end, I'll admit that it is still a goal to have at least one judge comment on a workshop, but resources are thin. If people aren't jumping at the bit to contribute to the workshop, I don't really find it suprising that no one is jumping at the bit to be a judge.

Also good stuff.

GP

Name
    Little Red
    Race
    Red Back Junco

View Profile
    Maybe a "Training" area can be implemented. You know, a place where people can try out their abilities (Old & New) and get help when trying to describe the ability. They can also be told what is classified as power gaming and what is not. Have a few "Trainers" be set aside specifically for the training area. It is all up to the trainee on what they want.

Example 1: Little Red
    Little Red's abilities and skills are straight forward so I don't need to know how to describe them, but I need to know how to not have it classified as power gaming, any Trainer willing to help me out?

Example 2: Kitsune
    I want to try out a few ways on how Aoimoku's transformation ability works. Anyone willing to help me with this? I also want to have a spar with somebody.

Example 3: Hydra
    Hydragon has an ability that is continuously active, would someone like to work with me on making sure that I let the trail be noticed when but not constantly refer to it?

Example 4: Child Detective
    Need help with writing mystery stories with Sylvester. anyone want to help walk me through it?

Each person has a different request but they don't have a place for it, sure there is the Role Player's corner, but they can get lost in there. we need a place specifically for these types of requests.

Supreme Overlord

GP

Name
    Max Dirks
    Race
    Human

View Profile
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Red View Post
    Maybe a "Training" area can be implemented. You know, a place where people can try out their abilities (Old & New) and get help when trying to describe the ability. They can also be told what is classified as power gaming and what is not. Have a few "Trainers" be set aside specifically for the training area. It is all up to the trainee on what they want.
    I'll pass this along to Philomel for Stonevail, but I figure a new post in the RPC might actually be a good thing. High profile (not buried in a subforum) in a commonly traveled forum. Moreover, I think that most people right now get character ideas and breakdowns in the chat room, does that sound right?

Althanian

EXP: 11,761, Level: 4
    Level completed: 56%, EXP required for next Level: 2,239
    Level completed: 56%,
    EXP required for next Level: 2,239

GP

Name
    Lorenor
    Race
    Undead

View Profile
    Chris-

Just a point I want to make. You bring up some valid ideas and suggestions but end of the day you cannot FORCE someone to participate which is what I am getting out of your suggestions. I am someone who firmly believes in choice and free will if someone wants to participate in a workshop, for example, they should be ALLOWED to participate on their own NOT FORCED TO participate. I personally was not comfortable (And I'm still not comfortable) with the whole AP system. At least the way it is currently MAINLY gotten is through participation in the workshop system and certain site events/etc. I didn't like the idea of something forced on us which is the way it basically worked out.

I personally understand your concerns about site activity in certain regards but we don't NEED to start forcing people to do x, y, z. I read your entire talking points and I am concerned about some of the suggestions. However, it is not my place to say aye or naye about it here. Ultimately it's up to Tony and other folks to implement those changes or not. But yeah I digress. End of the day freedom of choice is where it should be, not forced participation. I think we're treading a dangerous line right there if people are gonna have to be FORCED to participate. Anyway that's how I feel about it. Either way keep up the good work suggesting things everyone!

Let Them Sing

EXP: 155,108, Level: 17
    Level completed: 18%, EXP required for next Level: 14,892
    Level completed: 18%,
    EXP required for next Level: 14,892

GP

Name
    Shinsou Vaan Osiris
    Race
    Telgradian

View Profile
    Quote Originally Posted by Paladin_Lorenor View Post
    Chris-

Just a point I want to make. You bring up some valid ideas and suggestions but end of the day you cannot FORCE someone to participate which is what I am getting out of your suggestions. I am someone who firmly believes in choice and free will if someone wants to participate in a workshop, for example, they should be ALLOWED to participate on their own NOT FORCED TO participate. I personally was not comfortable (And I'm still not comfortable) with the whole AP system. At least the way it is currently MAINLY gotten is through participation in the workshop system and certain site events/etc. I didn't like the idea of something forced on us which is the way it basically worked out.

I personally understand your concerns about site activity in certain regards but we don't NEED to start forcing people to do x, y, z. I read your entire talking points and I am concerned about some of the suggestions. However, it is not my place to say aye or naye about it here. Ultimately it's up to Tony and other folks to implement those changes or not. But yeah I digress. End of the day freedom of choice is where it should be, not forced participation. I think we're treading a dangerous line right there if people are gonna have to be FORCED to participate. Anyway that's how I feel about it. Either way keep up the good work suggesting things everyone!

I think you've been "whooshed" here, pal.

My point is focused on trying to get the community talking to each other about their writing, sharing positivity and constructive feedback to maintain a quality environment. I am not suggesting we force anything on anyone; it is my opinion alone that we should stop auto scoring. I also suggest that in the event we can't, we provide more feedback to help writers who submit. You may have noticed it's looking pretty barren for feedback.

Tl;dr version is "if we can't stop the auto scoring at least give people feedback"

I think a quick re-read of my post might clear up a huge misunderstanding.
    Last edited by Shinsou Vaan Osiris; 01-17-2018 at 03:22 PM.

Legend

EXP: 127,650, Level: 15
    Level completed: 55%, EXP required for next Level: 7,350
    Level completed: 55%,
    EXP required for next Level: 7,350

GP

Name
    Philomel van der Aart (+ Veridian)
    Race
    Faun (+ Fox/Earth Spirit)

View Profile
    The one thing that would be an area to look into maybe is more opportunities to gain AP. Right now the only operable ones are taking part in a vignette and workshop replies. As the wiki is still in progress, as is the canon submission, for 4.0, which is perfectly understandable as these things take time (and if memory serves these were other ways to gain AP) perhaps thoughts could come from this.
    Last edited by Philomel; 01-17-2018 at 03:26 PM.
    *admin at your service*

Matriarch of the Gilded Lily and of its brothels, associated establishments and the army.

Characters:
    The family triplet: Philomel, Vaeron and Celandine.
    The god and kenku triplet: Stare, Avin and Vixen.
    The Primordials: Professor Charles and Moros.

Supreme Overlord

GP

Name
    Max Dirks
    Race
    Human

View Profile
    Quote Originally Posted by Philomel View Post
    The one thing that would be an area to look into maybe is more opportunities to gain AP. Right now the only operable ones are taking part in a vignette and workshop replies. As the wiki is still in progress, as is the canon submission, for 4.0, which is perfectly understandable as these things take time (and if memory serves these were other ways to gain AP) perhaps thoughts could come from this.
    The original plan was to allow it for participation in guided quests, canon quests, canon submissions, and for general Althanas related purposes (say someone posts a good article on articles (pun intended) in the RPC and helps players practice their writing therein. That's still my plan, but with my current kabash on canon while I get the wiki functional, a lot of these things aren't possible.