Even in the thick crowds of the late evening city, I was given a wide berth by nearly everyone. It was somewhat satisfying to have a small bubble of peace amidst the crowds - after all, here in this city, a Drow stood out. I ignored the slightly fearful looks people were giving me - it was best that the majority were afraid of me, a reaction of them to a Hunter. While I was not an exclusive Hunter of Men, I could perform the task - and even now, I was watching the crowds around me, eyes scanning for any potential threats.

Truly, the only oddity of any note was the girl following in my wake. I couldn't remember if she had given me her name - but her race had registered in my mind. The dhampir girl was sticking somewhat close. While the casual observer probably would not pick her up, I was far from a casual observer. But it didn't bother me - for this Hunt she was an ally. I felt one corner of my mouth twist upwards. A good Hunt was one I didn't mind sharing - more blades to sink into our prey were a good thing, in my mind. However, it was a personal vendetta for her, so I doubted she'd be interested in joining in future hunts. A shame, as a dhampir she had an inherent predator trait that would be useful. And if she fell to her blood lust, well. I'd be right there, ready to complete a short hunt.

So, I set the girl out of my focus. She remained in my awareness, slipping through the crowds like an eel as she tried to keep up. But now my main focus was on the rather ornate building u was coming up to. It was a bar, but one of rather higher quality than I normally bothered to frequent. The people here were concerned more with trade, numbers, math, and nobility, not the beasts I sought after. But this, well, this was where the liar had said he would be awaiting my report. So I moved inside, drawing only a few looks of confusion. My attire was unusual, but high quality, so aside from the minor reaction to the fact that I was a Drow no one bothered to give me a second look.

Ahead, I saw the liar, sitting at a table by himself. His attention was on the scantily clad woman who was carrying drinks around - and yes, now that I was watching, I saw him lick his lips, sharp canines poking out from his teeth as he did so. Then he saw me and he stood up abruptly, still far more smoothly than a man of his apparent age should be able to.

“Ah, Good Hunter.” I nodded. He paused and took a breath, and I saw his nostrils widen a fraction. Another mark against him. “I take it you have good news for me, sir?” He smiled, and this time there was no sign of the fangs. So he could obscure them when intentionally aware of the need. Interesting.

“Indeed. The hunt was completed.” He had no way of knowing that normally I would have said that my pretty was slaughtered. In this case, what he didn't know would hurt him, despite the old adage. He clapped his hands.

“Excellent news! Come, come. I have a private room waiting. I'll be treating myself to a delicacy after your report - the others all thought that reaching out would prove as fruitless as our own actions have.” As he spoke I saw his eyes flicker across the ornate, crowded halls, back to the serving girl.

One hand tightened, the glove creaking. Beast, you just signed your death warrant. My prey was before me and now nothing would stay the blade. I remained silent as he led the way to a room. He opened the door and ushered me inside, catching the eyebrow I raised at the heavy door.

“A kindness of the establishment. They have soundproofing installed, to protect business deals.* And other things, I would assume, if you were so familiar with this place, Beast. I let the door swing mostly closed behind me, though I did jar it a fraction so that the dhampir girl could make it in. I hope she realized that the prey would be fought soon. I did not know how long I would be able to resist the urge to end the hunt.

To distract myself, and him, I pulled the blood-stained cloth from my waistcoat’s pocket, and offered it to him. I was expecting him to take it gingerly, or gently - but no. It was almost ripped from my hand, and the liar brought it up to his nose and inhaled deeply. His body tremored, and I saw him lick at it frantically after a moment, forgetting I was even there. I gripped my Saw-Spear tightly. I just needed the dhampir girl to come in and I could end this accursed Beast - where was she?!