View Poll Results: What do you work towards?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • More

4 23.53%
  • Less

2 11.76%
  • Both

10 58.82%
  • Other

1 5.88%

Hybrid View

upon the cheek of night

EXP: 224,444, Level: 20
    Level completed: 0%, EXP required for next Level: 0
    Level completed: 0%,
    EXP required for next Level: 0

GP

Name
    Joshua Breaker Cronen
    Race
    Demigod
    Lately less, because I can create imagery using dialogue and character interaction without having to hammerblow people with excessive setting.
    Also, screw excessive setting and description. Trust your reader's imagination.
    Interesting points raised here. I used to write pretty thick setting descriptions, but lately I've been erring much more on the side of only giving details of what my character immediately notices and does. It seems I've yet to find the right balance, because I have recently been criticized for not having enough setting description in my work. I wonder if it's possible that Althanas as a whole has a bit too much love for lengthy setting descriptions. More and more, I feel like big chunks of setting are just big chunks of time in which the plot isn't advancing and nothing interesting is happening.

I always find myself doing a bit of both. I hate editing in the first place, but when I go back and give it a once-over for pacing and mechanics and what not, I find myself occasionally adding or subtracting just a sentence here and there.
    This basically describes my process as well, but I think it's worth mentioning that it hasn't always been that way. I had to spend hours and hours practicing editing to get to the point where I can catch all (or most) errors with a quick once-over. For more experienced writers/editors I think this can be enough, especially if you have someone else proofing your work, but I also think that for greener writers there is a ton to be learned by actively re-reading and editing content. IMHO putting a little extra effort into re-reading and editing is one of the best ways to find flaws and improve upon them.
    Last edited by Breaker; 01-23-2018 at 07:30 AM.
    "The breeze did not stir. The stars did not twinkle. The trees did not sway and the brook did not babble.
    For the world did not turn when Am'aleh wept, and a tear had tumbled down her cheek."