Finally the entered what seemed to be almost a valley, the land was filled with hills. Trees and greenery peppered out across as far as the eye could see. They two climbed and descended many hills, McKinley’s legs burned with all the walking they had done. Just as she was about to ask if they were close he stopped and nodded his head.

A village nestled between two hills, a simple stream and many little house and brick buildings freckled the land. Beyond the village sat a temple, it was slack gray color a flat rectangle-oblong type shape, it looked to be a temple. The sky behind beyond that set the valley a blaze with its red-orange hue it casted.

“Is this where your Masters are located?” She tossed him a confused look. It was not what she expected but then again she honestly wasn’t sure what to expect.

Avin looked at her and nodded. He pointed at the temple. “That is the temple of the demon lord Sabazios, one of my masters. A few months ago Vindrexis came to him. They abide there together. The village is where Sabazios remaining loyal followers abide.” He began to walk and gestured. “Come.”

McKinley was overwhelmed by all of it but she still followed as they walked towards the village, the smell of fresh, following water filled her nose. Her stomach flipped and turned with anxiousness as they neared the village.

As they entered the village McKinley’s bright gaze darted left and right, drinking in the wooden houses and brick buildings. As they drew further into what Kinley could only assume is the main area- a court yard she could see people. Mostly males were what she saw but a few females were scattered throughout the townspeople.

They seemed to be in intense training for only a few lifted their gaze to look at them. McKinley moved slightly closer to Avin, uncertain of their intentions or behaviors. She sighed with relief as they put their heads back down and continued with their training.

Her heart clenched as they made their way up the steps of the temple, though only a few. Kinley stopped suddenly and turned to Avin, “just remembered you promised me he wouldn’t hold me captive. If you truly aren’t his slave like you claim to be- I am trusting you Avin.”

For a moment the bird-man looked at her before he raised a shoulder in a shrug. “I will talk to him.” Then he looked at the rectangular stone entrance before them and straightened himself. “If I go missing, do not come looking for me. I will instead come to find you within a few hours.” Slowly he blinked and nodded. “Room. I have a room. Second door on left within.”

Then he boldly began to stride up the rest of the stairs, lowering his head and picking up his spear. McKinley fought the urge to follow him as she watched him. “That isn’t very comforting knowing you may go missing,” she said after him but he was too far from her to hear.

She stood there for a few more minutes on the steps of the temple. Finally gathering all the courage she could muster McKinley ascended the stairs. She pushed open the heavy door to the temple and took a deep breath as she walked in, the door slowly closing behind her.

The interior of the temple was large, open and spacious. Two large pillars supported the weight of the structor. The room was dimly light, a small amount of candles littered the door ways. A dais sat at the far end of the temple which led to a large stone throne, upon the throne sat a man- a large man. He looked like an overstuffed sack of meat in the toga he was sporting. Two his right stood another man, this one handsome in looks and cunning in features. His white looks almost illuminated his face, even from a distance McKinley saw an intrigued look in his gaze as he eyed her up and down.

Second door on the left within. She thought as she scurried in that direction, hoping to get away from the intense gaze. McKinley walked into Avin’s room and was confused. It was like an unoccupied guest room. A simple wooden bed with plain sheets, neatly made. At the end of his bed sat a trunk with the top open to show his clothing. “I am not in my cottage any more,” she murmured softly setting her knapsack and viola case down as she sat at the edge of his bed hoping that Avin wouldn’t disappear for hours.