Tradition is no friend to progress, the inventor reminded herself. It was certainly quaint but if all elves lived in trees there’d be no railways, no airships, and no marvelous cities. But still, if these old elves preferred living in trees who was she to judge?

It was amusing to consider how communal societies continued to be. This entire family lived inside of a tree. Lilthis assumed most of her older brothers still lived on their family estate. If not for the dangers, she’d likely still be living with her own family. The more we change the more we stay the same.

His home was a large, wide tree with twin torches ablaze to greet the dark elf. On the long stretching branches of the great tree she could catch the dashing of birds and chipmunks. Inside the windows of the mighty oak Lilly could observe the moving shadows of life and glimpses of furniture. It all seemed rather intriguing, this harmonious union of the civilized with the wild.

His gesture of kindness was appreciated. Lillian was not a good cook. She could roast meat to be safe for consumption, she could boil vegetables if needed, but her penchant for cooking ended at making dishes edible. Never daring to get close to the line of ‘tasty’ or ‘delicious.’ The tinkering dark elf had many other skills to keep her occupied and devoting her time to improve her talent as a chef seemed like a waste. It was much easier to let those who already learned the craft cook for you.

The Alerian smiled brightly at the hospitality of the elf, “I’ve not yet eaten. I would love to take you up on your offer for food if it’s not much trouble.” Lilly used the heel of her boot to scratch the back of her ankle before adding, “thank you, it’s good to meet kind folk in these woods.”

I wonder if the inside of their home smells like tree sap?