At just the mere mention of hot chocolate, my mouth began to water. If there was anything I could be thankful for now that I'm alive again, its that I get to have that stuff once more. Sweet, chocolaty goodness. With a bit of honey, a pile of marshmallows, and just a pinch of ground red pepper.

"Sure," I said as I began putting on Lye's old clothes. It felt great to not feel the cold Salvar air kissing every inch of my exposed shame, even if it meant wearing the assassin's rags.

Ama--excuse me.

Scarlet called out to a guard to have some delivered to her chamber. I stood there, looking like a right idiot, the pants just a couple sizes too big in the waist and long in the leg, the shirt falling all over my upper body, the jacket draped over my shoulders like a tarp.

I examined myself in the mirror, or tried to--the glare from the lights of my eyes shone too brightly on the reflective surface--before turning to the Heir Apparent of the Crimson Hand. "How do I look," I asked with an arched eyebrow.

Scarlet's lips pursed as she took in every detail. "Like a cactus fell into a hamper."

The same could be said about you, I thought bitterly as I continued to adjust the outfit bit by bit with some pins and clips that were stashed on a nearby vanity.

The two of us remained silent for the next couple minutes, occupied with our own thoughts. I couldn't tell you how upset I was that my grand exit turned into nothing more than an extended nap. I worked so hard to make sure I couldn't come back. Tried so many times, tried so many ways. That stupid weed growing in my chest, beating behind my ribs, pulsating with fresh life. I wish I could tear it out and toss it into the fireplace, but that was one of the first things I tried however long ago it was that I tried them.

I... I had so many questions. A lot of them started with why. A few started with how. There were a handful of who's and when's and what's, but I'd get around to them eventually.

The chamber's door creaked on its rusty hinges as I was about to ask the first of many things. A familiar figure emerged from the shadows of the hallway. She was short, blond, exceptionally pretty by necessity, and incredibly surprised to see not one but two people in her master's room. It was a surprise that her massive knockers didn't carry her momentum forward any further and knock the two steaming mugs off the silver tray she held.

Advencia's eyes blinked furiously as her jaw opened and closed repeatedly before finally stammering out a single word. "M-Madison?"

"No," I smirked. "It's Britney, bitch."

The succubus stood frozen, her gaze fixated on me as I approached and snatched the two hot cocoas off the tray. "Thanks, sweetie," I said as I turned to hand Am-- Scarlet one. Gods above, this name thing was going to be rough. She used to not care if I called her by Amari. But I suspect that after what I pulled on her, I no longer have that privilege.

I brought my drink up to my lips and took a good, long drink. It was plain hot chocolate, of course. Apparently nobody else bothered to teach the rest of these assholes how to brew up a proper mug of the stuff. Nor had they restocked the marshmallows. Those were always my favorite bit.

Closing my eyes and savoring the flavor anyway, despite the small aftertaste of disappointment, I exhaled deeply. I didn't want to have this conversation. I wished terribly that I was still dead, my consciousness still offline, my bits still floating in the aether while my body remained in a commemorative vial around Scarlet's neck.

But, it had to be done, I suppose.

"So," I finally asked the Ar'Tuel. "How long was I gone? What have I missed?"