Level completed: 79%,
    EXP required for next Level: 879

GP

Name
    Yvonne Mythrilmantle
    Race
    Grey Dwarf

View Profile
    I bid them leave it all behind, leave everything to the dust, but they insist on burdens of faith and superstition. Those I allow them. Nothing more. We travel lightly and make haste as the world draws to a close.

I guide them as a shepherd. We seek refuge in this savage land, somewhere to hide and begin again. My people - my own - cheat death and their reward? To live in perpetual fear, looking over their shoulders always. They tell me the wind here breathes, the water watches them and the woodland whispers in their ears.

Each culture in my wake mentions a different name. Goblins speak of The Big Green. Kobolds call it The Slithering. I must sense this omnipotent presence for myself. Sharing their beliefs will give them desperately needed reassurance. Tonight I face their fear and make it mine.

Orcish hands share a bowl of smoldering herbs around the circle, each in turn filling their lungs with smoke. Scents of burnt tea and mint evoke my memory. Seer’s sage… Salvia. Lastly the bowl passes to me and the shaman advise that I follow the wolves. How? Wolves don’t live in tha jungle. My eyes close and I inhale deeply. Fumes become me.

~~~

I awaken on all fours, the swamp so near and far, where the crickets sing their cautionary song. The camp is no more. I have no idea where I am in this endless jungle. My silver eyes search for wolves meant to guide me, but I cannot see them.

The weight of darkness presses my fur into the cold mud and I feel penitent, astray; a trespasser whom has lost their way. The urge to howl for the pack is irresistible yet the dread in my chest isolates me.

I know who you are~are. Disgraceful pup~pup.

My ears do not hear the words spoken to me. My mind understands the gnarled, intertwined trees surrounding me. They echo the voices and prevent any thought of escape. Where are the shaman? Where are the wolves? Why am I alone?

You dare~dare! You lead believers of The Charring One into my domain~domain!

I feel its pain lash me like a whip of nine-tails. Recoiling, receding further into the earth, my snout sinks into the filth. I taste mud on my tongue, the darkness holding me down. Anger and fear I understand. I sympathize.

Extinguish the embers or I will suffocate you~you.

Vines coil around my legs, lifting me up into the canopy of leaves. Pythons slither down the vines and around my body and neck. I struggle with them and they tighten their grip. My breath escapes me. The snakes squeeze tighter. I can’t breath in. A swarm of crawling insects skitter over the vines and snakes, prickling me. I itch but cannot scratch. They cover my face, clawing into my eyes and orifices.

I will not warn you twice~twice.
    Last edited by Yvonne; 07-09-2018 at 05:59 AM.
    So I’m cutting that branch off the cherry tree.
    Singing this will be my victory.
    Then I, I see them coming after me.
    And they’re following me across the sea.
    And now they’re stinging my friends and my family.
    And I, I don’t know why this is happening.
    ~ Thrice, Black Honey.