No sooner was I through the door, than what I had expected to happen, happened.

The door slammed shut behind me. Roughly, my shoulder was grabbed and I was shoved against the wall, pushed with a force that existed beyond some being’s comprehension. My satchel slipped from my shoulder and I let it land on the rugged floor as easily as I allowed myself to be pinned against the paneled wall. Neither did I resist, nor cry out as I was pinned by his forearm that lay across my chest. His leering, shining-eyed face appeared in my vision as he grinned once.

“Hello brother,” he hissed.

“Hello, Morningstar,” I intoned dully. In all honesty I was used to being pinned to walls. Working for the King of Death and often being chained in my boat when he got bored had made me used to similar.

“You should have told me you got out of that hell,” he went on, shoving his face closer into mine.

Spit sprinkled onto my face and I began to raise a hand to wipe it off, but he pressed harder against my rib cage. A clear signal to me to cease movement. So I did. It was not so much that I was a defeatist, more that I was so acclimated to being at the behest of others - I was literally created to be a servant of the Old Gods, as was Morningstar. I stood there, my brow rising.

“I didn't need to tell you anything,” I replied. “In all honesty, I don't need to tell anyone what is going on in my life.”

“Ah, but you should have,” his teeth grated in his jaw. “Therein lies your mistake, Charon. Now, stay there whilst I …”

And he lifted his right hand, that which was not pinning me. Within the flesh of the palm I could see the wound-like feature that was his single recognisable trait. It was a single line that had ridges to either side, and was a black pit within. As he lifted it I dragged my eyes away from it, knowing exactly what was going to happen. With a quick movement he ripped open the clothes at my breast, right down to the pale flesh. Perfectly still I stood as he then thrust his palm flat against the flesh just about where my heart was - and the most peculiar feeling began to spread through my body.

A force, a drowsiness quite unlike any other. It began from where my skin meet his, then spread from there in waves like ripples in a pool. With each wave came a sweep of lethargy, and I closed my eyes as they thrummed through my body, reaching towards the tips of my fingers and the ends of my toes. I drew in a slow breath of air as the feeling began to fill my veins, nerves and cells, as his magic powered into me. I did not close my eyes, but instead kept my gaze steady on his, watching him as his expression went from one of immense satisfaction - to confusion - then to disbelief.