“Oh,” was her reply. Then in a whisper she added, “so - what are you?”

“The term is 'primordial’ drow-girl. Beings whom that thing,” I could almost physically feel the jab of air as he gestured towards me, “believes were born to serve gods.”

“We were,” I finally answered, turning around to fix him a stare, “that was the purpose, as described to me by Erebus.”

“Erebus, sir?” Ayna breathed.

Morningstar rolled his eyes and waved a dismissive hand at her. “One of the old gods. Shush now.” He concentrated back to me. “Erebus actually said that?”

I nodded, “I've told you that before, Morn.”

“Bah,” he said, “now, do we keep her or rid of her?”

I frowned. “Keep?” I said at the same time as Ayna.

Morningstar paused a little, then looked past me to her. Eyes slowly blinked, before he took a small step forwards and he tilted his head as he gazed at Ayna. Twisting around again I also looked at her.

“Yes, keep you,” he grinned, showing his sharpened canines, pure white in his crimson-flecked skin. “You want to keep your memories, then … you do errands for me.”

I was stunned in that moment. Apparently nothing was too much for this man. Not only did he want me, but also my students. My lips parted and I took a small step forwards to speak, watching the listlessness on Ayna’s face and the disbelief in her eyes - but Morningstar shot up a hand to halt me in my step.

“Well?” He asked, sharply.

“I have had my mind messed with before,” Ayna whispered. “I don't - don't want that happening again.” And she wrung her hands on the strap of her satchel. “But you cannot force me to do anything.”

“Tell me true,” Morningstar lifted a finger and jabbed it at me. “How much do you care for him now?”

Care for me? Bah. That was not so. I rolled my eyes and muttered under my breath about the old stereotype of unrequited love between student and professor. It was an age old tale, and one broken in reality by my not being a tiefling. Now I was dull in her eyes.

“I …” she mumbled.

Morningstar stared hard at her. I prepared myself for the absolute rejection. It would be damaging to my psyche, but I would bare it as I had. Many terrible things had happened to me in the many hundreds of years I had exited.

“Well? I can tell when you are lying.”

I was not sure if he could or not, but with his ability to take powers, it was perfectly possible.

Suddenly she looked down at the ground, cheeks blazing a scarlet grey - an odd thing on a drow. Then I paused, realising what her reaction meant. My jaw fell. I was staring, unsure of what was being communicated here, because I was in utter shock. She still … despite knowing I was not a tiefling, she still liked me. And possibly more, from the way she was glaring at the ground.

Suddenly Morningside burst into laughter. My eyes swung over to him, wishing him out of my sight as I had every day thus far. Scowling deeply I hissed at him, as he spoke again.

“This is your test of loyalty, then. Go to Charon’s house, find whatever papers and items he has for my project. Then bring it back … to my court.”

“Your court?”

“Yes, my court,” he nodded. “This …” he fumbled for a moment at his beeches, before pulling out a small stone, “will get you there.”

She swallowed tight as he held it out to her. Slowly her fingers curled around it. “Okay.”

I glanced at Morningstar, narrowing my eyes a little. I had been going to take him to my home myself. This was a twist in plans.