We landed in a brief and dull glimmer of light, our shoes impacting onto soft earth. It took me only a few seconds for my eyes to adjust.
We were in a field of grass, with a clear blue sky above. In this way green and azure stretched for seemingly endless miles, broken only by yellow wheat to the east, and a large white building behind us. As I looked at the building, with its peaked roof, simple structure and marble façade, I felt partly relieved. This was practically my second home now, and though every time I was here more pains came, at least it was where I was familiar, and wanted.

Linking her elbow through the loop of my arms, Regina began to walk. Bound as I was it was awkward, but there was little point in resisting now as he began towards the temple-like structure.

As we gained closer I could see the huge, wooden double doors that made up the entrance. I could also tell the shape of the west was slightly more than the east, with a pronounced edge. Within this extra space I knew that offices, the kitchens and rooms for the staff thrived, as well as a staircase resided that led to the cells - and 'my’ room. Nearing the door I could hear a multitude of noises coming from within, as well as I could see rapid movement, of a lot more people than was usually in the main hall of his court. Frowning a little I turned my head to Regina when a man stepped out from the door.

He seemed to be a farmer. Dressed in fine clothes he bore a pitchfork and was chewing on hay. Presumably he worked alongside the wheat fields. When he spotted Regina and I he nodded, and waited for us to come closer.

“I see you managed to pick up your package, then,” he joked.

“Apparently so,” I replied, and the farmer looked at me in surprise.

Regina laughed, and tightened her grip around my arm, pulling me closer with a light chiming noise. As if I was going to run now. Her hand settled gently over my forearm where she could attain it, and she began to partly pull me inside, speeding up our pace, and leaving the farmer in the dust.

I said nothing, but found her 'encouragement’ to be wildly unnecessary. I reacted with a short hiss, muttering quickly to her as we passed into the shadow of the temple.

“I'm not going to run, Regina.” Though it was the first time I had ever been bound with my hands behind my back under Morningstar.

“I know,” she nodded, yet still she kept her hold, as the noise beyond the doors truly came to ear.

It was fairly loud, with a myriad of different voices. As I looked in I could see the court had entirely changed. The structure was still there - the hundred foot long audience chamber, with its twin marble pillar rows to either side and the mighty dais at the back, where his oak throne wrapped in gold decoration sat. Aside from that much had been draped upon, or had life around. Whereas I was used to an empty hall, here life lurked now in every corner.

Crimson and rich, royal green material hung in banners and swathes around the pillars, dressing the place in colour instead of white. It also adorned the shadow walls beyond the pillar barrier, careful of the lanterns that burned in nooks. Over the top of this fabric miles of ivy had been dressed, filling the room with an earthy smell, and curling in random forms over the uneven surfaces. Three groups of five people were working with exceptionally tall ladders to currently rearrange some of the ivy. An overseer rushed from one group to the next.

The floor itself had been spread with bracken and dried flowers, in scatterings that added to the natural scent of the place. It had been pushed into various piles at the pillars as people walked, but still a collection of three people strode around, evenly distributing it. Behind them an inspector walked, nodding slowly.

Currently they were heading towards the back of the room, and that brought my eyes to the throne. Elaborately, it had been lovingly dressed in the same emerald fabric, that twisted out from it in rivers. On top of this golden painted ivy hung, as well as branches of juniper berries. Behind the throne itself a massive banner had been placed, that showed a large, golden and emerald snake coiling around green ivy on a black field. It took me a moment to understand, but eventually I found myself nodding as Morningstar became the snake itself.

Beyond that, people were what took up the rest of the room. Currently a group were pushing a pair of plain, large thrones into a place that was a fair thirty feet from the throne. Other groups were in discussion, whispering as they tugged on jewelry and adjusted their fine clothing. I was thankful that I had kept on my working trousers and placed on a clean shirt. There were some though with a clear lack of clothing, and these were four young women who had little but a bustier and a light skirt of material to cover them, who laughed between themselves at the foot of the dais.

“B-brother?”

I heard a gasp, and turned to see a tall, handsome female hurrying towards me, her black hair coiled up in a bun at her head. It narrowly avoided her dark horns rising from her crown. Green eyes blinked at me, matching the green silk dress she wore. Instantly I recognised her and spoke in awe.

“... Nyx?” I noted she was entirely unbound.

Regina stepped back as Nyx, one of my sisters and personification of the night, came to me. Eagerly the woman who I had not see for perhaps three thousand years suddenly drew me into a hug. It was awkward and unexpected but I was appreciative of it.

I observed her, eyes moving up and down her form. Slowly I realised that because she was here and unbound she had to have given her fealty at one point to Morningstar.

“When …”

“Oh about five hundred years ago now,” she waved a hand. “There's also Geras,” who was our brother who had powers over aging, “Hemera,” who was Nyx’s twin and was associated with the day, “and Moros sometimes appears. Though he is currently on holiday.” From what I knew of one of my youngest brothers he was a doomsayer - that being he could bring about doom. He had powers of prediction that were legendary.

Slowly I nodded, now with a list of names for the four of my siblings who had fallen under Morningstar's persuasion. And I was his … pet project. “I see,” then I smiled. “It is good to see you. This is …” I glanced to my side.

“Oh I know Regina,” Nyx said with a beam. “Hopefully she can help to bring you around.”

“I see,” I looked to Regina who was still holding her basket and looking very pleased with herself. “And what is going on here exactly?”

“I have visitors,” came a grunt from my other side. Looking over I finally saw the lord of the court striding over to me.

Impressively tall Morningstar was a well-built man with large horns jaggedly arching away from his face. His features were rugged and handsome, with chocolate hair draped in curls around it and his skin pale but flecked with crimson. A small, simply golden circlet was set on his brow. Today he was dressed in fine crimson robes, that were trimmed with golden thread, with thigh high boots.

He looked me up and down slowly, before he shook his head and gestured at me with a wagging finger. “You will need to change.”

“Forgive me,” I replied sarcastically, “nobody informed me that there was going to the Emperor of Akashima's ball.”

“There is little time for you to go back,” he muttered, ignoring my comment. Pursing his lips he turned and called out a name I did not recognise. A young man, in sharp dress that had the same snake and ivy embroidered into the shoulders hurried over. He went into a deep bow before rising.

“Find Char here some decent clothing,” he said.

And he waved a hand. There was a light chiming and suddenly my hands were no longer bound behind my back. I let out a light sigh, though when I brought them to my front I could see the manacles themselves that restrained my power were very much there.

He breathed in sharply, observing me, and then coughed for attention. I looked up into his eyes.

“When you are done, come to meet me up there,” he gestured at the back of the room.

“What visitors?” I asked in a low voice. “Who are you expecting?”

“You will see in due course,” he snapped, and on his heel he turned. Smartly he stalked away, eyes narrowed and tension in any step. Clearly he wanted to make the largest impression possible, and all of us were part of that.

“Ah … sir?”

I looked over at the man whom Morningstar had called over and blinked. He was gesturing towards the side of the hall. Nodding once I twisted to Nyx and managed to embrace her. Then I smiled briefly at Regina who brightly replied.

“I'll see you later.”