EXP: 12,335, Level: 4
    Level completed: 67%, EXP required for next Level: 1,665
    Level completed: 67%,
    EXP required for next Level: 1,665

GP

Name
    Alyssa Snow
    Vampire.

The word stuck in her head after hearing it. Alyssa knew little about them aside from being undead and the unpleasant stigma of anything undead in Raiaera. That alone meant Enzo was a problem. It also complicated Alyssa’s perception of Kinley. The homunculus had the suspicion something about her was off, but to also be traveling with a monster...

Furthermore, the mere mention of magic triggered a response unusual to her prior experiences. For a moment, the warmth and light common in all living things faded from Kinley. It was only brief, but raised some questions and concerns. In Raiaera, everything tied back to magic. It was as common as the glass of water sitting in front of her. Alyssa struggled with what to say. Across from the oaken table sat a woman crippled by the mention of magic, but oddly comfortable with a creature cursed by it.

“I’m sorry,” Alyssa apologized with sincerety in her voice and eyes. “Something terrible must have happened to you. I didn’t know.”

The aroma of her food stirred her stomach into a muffled growl. She thought it inappropriate to eat at a time like this even though she hardly knew her guests. She also felt threatened by Enzo, and sympathetic toward Kinely. Alyssa knew the darker sides of magic. She herself slayed one of the Forgotten Ones, mages known throughout the land for their abuse and bastardization of magic. Alyssa’s eyes turned downward and she paused in silence. Her blood was the same as Pode. In that moment, the homunculus felt partially responsible for her guest’s pain.

“It’s no different,” Alyssa muttered. In her swell of guilt, her history as the Empress and the people whose lives she strived to make better came to mind. Vincent, Rayleigh, Stella, Tobias...

Tobias...

Alyssa looked up to Kinley as Enzo consoled her. Her clothes still dripped from the rain and all she offered was to help her dry. Magic, like any tool, was bound by the will of its user. It wasn’t the tool which harmed her, but the person wielding it. In her realization, she felt wrong about her feelings toward the vampire. Perhaps even someone with such a negative stigma could also be misunderstood. What a sad life to live.

“Magic is just a tool.” Alyssa’s voice started soft. She found her voice and determination filled her expression and tone. “Someone used it for the wrong reasons, Kinely. A hammer can build a home or be used to crush a knight’s armor. The person who holds that hammer determines what it will do.”

Alyssa stretched out a gloved hand as if to take the redhead’s but stopped and pulled away. That kind of behavior would be inappropriate wouldn’t it? Only people who are close do that kind of thing — like Enzo and her... Alyssa cast her gaze to the side and found her rifle in view. How ironic that she make such a statement while wielding two pieces of technology designed to weaponize energy or magic. Hell, her existence was no different than Enzo. She too was born with the intent to harm, kill, and destroy.

“I’m uh...” Alyssa took a deep breath and turned back to them. “Let’s just avoid the subject.”

She picked up her wine and joined in the numbing application of alcohol.

“Anyway,” Alyssa set her half empty glass down beside her meal. “I’m on my way to Beinost. I received a summons from a new establishment in that area. They’re interested in meeting me and have a proposition. My old home—”

She paused again at their memory. If only she knew where they were it wouldn’t feel so empty. A part of her didn’t want to accept they were dead. Another part felt she needed to embrace that if she were to move on. That’s what normal people do, right? Move on? It sounded so simple, but felt everything but.

“My old home is practically uninhabitable. So, its about all I have to look forward to after everything.”

Alyssa exhaled as if she shrugged off a large weight. She scooped up her remaining drink and sloughed back into her creaky chair. Her free hand slid between her wet hair and neck to let a bit of air in. The cool breeze on her skin felt divine.

“What about you, Kinley, Enzo? Where are you headed?”
    Last edited by Alyssa Snow; 08-30-2019 at 05:15 PM.