I could see something glimmering in the corner of the demon's eye. An emotion perhaps, a hidden secret, as ancient and forgotten as mine. Slightly, I tilted my head as I watched him dismiss his friend, handing him a packet of money like he was his employer.

Which was not too far of a likelihood. Here, in this mining town at the centre of a ravaged world, all beings had to make a living. Money was still how life worked. It was still at the centre of all. Though smelting coin per the particular lands had decreased with the loss of life and access to resources it still was the main exchange for all. Part of me found this strange, but mortals were as they were. I was personally used to my brother's court, where his dealings with the world had made him understand the need for currency. It was what some people breathed, ate and slept with, it was what they desired above all others. The one who seemed more human took the payment willingly, as happy as I expected, and stood to make off as I settled into my new found seat.

"I am not here to gamble, specifically, no," I admitted openly, and I felt Des' enthusiasm wane slightly.

This better not end up being some boring conversation, she muttered.

I ignored her, and kept looking at the blue-skinned man. I set my beer down on the table before me, leaning forwards onto my forearms. I could still see the gleam in his eye, the intrigue there that suggested I was missing something. I did not know what. Blinking, I paused before I answered his other questions.

"I am here for freedom's sake," I said. "To while away what has been a long year. But you were looking at me like you were confused as to my presence, and kept staring, thus I came over." My finger touched my glass, feeling the chill of the cold liquid.

"I am not here for any specific time, but tell me why you were looking at me, and I might tell you more."

With those final words I lifted up my glass and drank more, all the while keeping my deep black eyes trained on this character.