A loud creak of a loose floor board broke the silence that encompassed the small house. Black Shadow cringed, knowing he made a mistake. He intended to replace the loose board in the morning, but now he had to leave for the Niadath Pass at dawn.

“Daddy, is that you?” a little girl called out. Black Shadow’s daughter, Espior opened the door to her bedroom and walked out into the living room, rubbing her tired eyes. The dying embers of the fireplace gently illuminated the beautifully soft face of the elvish child. Her long blonde hair covered half her face and her bright blue eyes glowed in the dim light.

“It is you daddy!” Espoir screeched in delight, running to Black Shadow and jumping into his arms for a hug. Black Shadow held her tight and stroked her soft hair. “Are we going to the marketplace tomorrow?”

Black Shadow looked his daughter in the eyes and pulled his mask off. “I have to go on a trip tomorrow.” He mouther to her slowly so she could read his lips.

Espoir dropped her head in disappointment. “I thought you said we would go to the market. I wanted to play with that puppy.”

“I know, but this is an important trip, Espoir. I promise, after this trip we will spent a whole week together, just you and me.”

“Really? A whole week?”

“Yes, a whole week. Now let’s get you back to bed Espoir.” Black Shadow said, picking Espoir up and holding her tight. “I sent a messenger hawk to Uncle Gavner, He will be staying with you while I’m gone, okay?”

“Uncle Gavner? Yay! Is he going to bring more candy?”

I thought he said he stopped doing that. Black shadow thought. “He might. Now off to bed you go.”

Black Shadow laid his daughter down in bed and pulled the blankets over body. He ran his hand through her silky hair and thought about how fast she has grown. She was a baby when he took her as his own, and now she was seven years old. She knew how to shoot a bow, handle a knife, and cook a few simple meals.

Black Shadow’s mind drifted to the last time he took Espoir to the marketplace. On the way home, Espoir spotted a pure white horse with a black diamond on its forehead. Espoir pointed at the horse and said she wanted the horse as her own.

I’ll be back with enough money to buy you that horse.

Black Shadow stood and walked out of Espoir’s bedroom, closing the door silently behind him. He grabbed a large bag from the coat rack and started packing for the trip. Black Shadow always packed light for mercenary work, but a trip into the mountains, taking uncharted paths to an unexplored peak required thicker clothes and more supplies than normal.

Black Shadow grabbed some large rope and thick clothes, stuffing them into the bag. He grabbed some light food and a water bottle. He threw his packed bag against a chair and turned to grab his heavy coat. The fur coat was made from a large black bear he killed the month before, and offered exceptional protection from the snow.

The Dark Archer sat back in a chair, staring into the remaining embers of the dying fire. He took a deep breath and closed his eyes, falling asleep within seconds.