"Daddy!"

Magical energy swirled around in horrific displays

The sound of the kitchen knife piercing his flesh sickingly echoed in her head.

With a gasp, she awoke.

The five year old girl was panting, sweat covering her frame. Light flooded down from the humongous, elaborate church window. It bathed her in golden light, making her hot despite Salvar's cold climate. The girl threw her blankets off and bolted upright. Her bare feet slapped against the frigid, stone floor. Her bedtime garb soaked up the sunlight. It was an odd combination of temperature.

Looking around, she was in the chapel of her local church. She still shook, traumatized by her father's actions. It felt like ages ago, though it had only been a couple days. She had only ever been to the chapel in services. The room was strangely vacant, the pews empty and void. She could feel the vacuum of silence here, it was unknown. It was scary.

"Good morning, child."

The five year old screeched. She whipped at to see a fully garbed priest walking in from a back door. The girl's heart pounded, but it was only a priest. Everything would be fine.

The priest smiled beneath his white garbs, approaching her. "Oh, girl. I have spoken with your mother, of what you have endured."

Goosebumps flooded her spine. He bent down to her, robes flowing elegantly, "You are safe here, Katya. Under the protection of our church, nothing will harm you."

Katya gulped, tears flooding her eyes, "I... Can't stop dreaming..."

The man smiled, kind and gentle, "I'm sure you can't, dear. The fact of the matter is, you have been dealt a blow. But, as the Ethereal Sway teaches, there is hope and purity to be found in suffering."

He reached forward and wiped her tears away. Softly, gently. "We will teach you, if you let us."

Katya really wanted to.

Was this her home now?