Jake caught his breath at the sight of her pale legs and sleek black knickers. But his sharp green eyes could not miss the distinct mark on her lower back. Breaker did not appear to even be looking; apparently, he had seen it all before.

“Alright, Amari, I’ve seen it.” Jake said, looking away with a rosy hue in his cheeks. “So maybe he is right. Maybe you are… Ar’Tuel?” She dropped the material of her dress and stumbled back into a seated position between himself and Breaker. A little too close to Breaker for his liking, she was practically sitting at his feet. “But what does that mean?”

“It means,” Breaker said over the rim of his glass, “that she is an individual of great potential. And so are you, Master Portal-Maker.”

Jake nearly dropped his glass in shock. “How did you know I-”

“I can read the residual energies in your soul,” Breaker shrugged. “One of several talents I gained in my travels.” He put down his scotch. “You do desire training, don’t you?”

“I, er… yes.” Jake said awkwardly. “I want to learn from the best.”

Amari seemed to grow tired she lilted and was now resting her head against Breaker’s leg.

Jake fidgeted and intentionally looked away. The Salvic girl seemed drawn to this man like iron to a lodestone. Not that Jake cared. It wasn’t like he had feelings for her, and he wasn’t the jealous type besides. He just didn’t want Amari getting too wrapped up in someone they’d only just met. The girl had been through enough hardships without being disappointed by this Breaker. Still… the man might be worthy of their trust. It seemed he would have much to teach them both.

“Alright,” Jake said finally, looking back toward Amari and Josh. “When can we begin?”