“Here, Amari.” Jake leaped to his feet and guided the redhead to a chair next to his. “Maybe you had a bit too much wine… I did mention that too much alcohol can have a negative effect…” He sat them both down just as a knock permeated the door.

“Come,” Breaker called, and a short slender serving girl with dirty blonde hair came in. She carried a covered tray in one hand, and a sealed bottle in the other. The label read Yurik’s Firewhisky. She set both items on the table next to Breaker and then curtsied her way out, closing the door behind her.

“Here,” he prizefighter said. He lifted the lid off the platter, and a salvo of savoury smells mingled with the scent of woodsmoke. There was a whole cooked chicken, roasted potatoes and onions, and a half loaf of freshly baked bread. He broke the heel off the bread and crossed to Amari, offering her the crusty snack. “This should absorb some of the alcohol in your stomach. Eat it slowly.”

Amari grabbed it, using the momentum to stand. “I’m fine. I just was a little dizzy.” She bit into the bread, even intoxicated she didn’t talk with her mouth full. She swallowed and continued. “Jake was excited to meet you, and I would like to know how you know me if you do not mind!” She bit into the bread again and gave a satisfied sigh. “I love crusty bread…..”

Josh smiled and crossed to the hearth, noticing Jake’s rolling eyes. “You wanted to meet me, Master Narmolanya?” He picked up three tumbler glasses from the mantle and returned to the low table. He poured a healthy measure into the first two glasses, and a single shot into the third. “How might I be of service?” He passed one of the fuller glasses to Jake, kept the other for himself, and gave Amari the one that was nearly empty. Then he sat down and swirled the contents of his glass, sipping sparingly.

“Well…” Jake said grudgingly, and then sighed and shook out his blond locks. “It was the way you fought. I’ve never seen anyone move like that before. Are you taking students?”

Breaker chuckled and sipped his scotch. “I do teach martial arts, although my regimen is… quite rigorous. We can discuss that later though. Your friend’s questions are for more pressing, I think.” He looked to Amari just as she took her first sip of whisky.

“AHH!” Amari loudly exclaimed, ruining their conversation. “This… this is amazing, far better than anything - the spices, the way it warms your….” She looked at the other two and quickly fell silent. “My apologies.”

“No need for that,” Breaker chuckled, picking lightly at his meal. “I reacted the same way, the first time I sampled Yurik’s. Jake, you haven’t sampled yours.”

The half elf sighed and then took a quick sip. It warmed him from his mouth all the way down to his belly, filled with delicious motes of flavors he could not identify, and a solid alcoholic punch. “It’s good,” he conceded at last, “but I think I still prefer ale.”

“One man’s wheat scythe is another man’s weapon,” Breaker mused, smiling as he took another sip. Bloody hell, was everything a joke to this man? “Now then, Amari… what might I help you to understand?”