The same heated sensation coursed through her body as he grabbed her hand and Amari shifted uncomfortably. “I don’t know what hotcakes are.” She mumbled, trying to pull away from his energetic grasp, to no avail. “Jake… we need to talk… I can’t-”

“Hotcakes are amazing Amari! You will love them.”

Amari gave a defeated sigh as Jake pulled her into yet another establishment, this one more crowded than the small store. He lead her to a booth in the corner, where the two sat down on red cushioned chairs, before she could open her mouth to speak Jake signalled one of the staff over. A blonde girl who couldn’t be any older than Amari. Jake asked for two of ‘the usual’ the girl thanked him by name and offered him a wink and a squeeze of his shoulder.

“Do… you know her?” Amari asked curiously.

“I’ve been by this way a few times before,” Jake said with a smile.

Amari shifted her gaze down to the table. The town seemed nice enough, and Jake earnest enough. Still, things weren’t adding up. “I want to go home.” Amari said with finality as she lifted her gaze to meet Jake. “I want to see the truth myself.”

Jake nodded. “I can take you home, if that’s what you really want. But I have another suggestion that might prove the truth to you. And we may as well at least get something to eat first. Is that fair?”

Amari blinked. It was that easy? To just ask….?

“Yes! Of course!” She said, straightening her back. She had the answer she wanted, she had a promise and all she could do now was accept Jake’s word, and agree to his request, it was only fair. She glanced back down at the table again, feeling confused at the lack of cutlery. Instead of asking where the others were Amari felt she had to make do with what she had. “What was your suggestion?” She asked, daintily preparing the table for the meal, shuffling the silverware to their correct positions.

“That syringe still had some of the serum your brother injected you with in it.” Jake said. “I know someone who knows a good alchemist in Akashima. If we took the serum to him, maybe he could find a way to bring your memories back. Then you wouldn’t want to go home, I promise you.”

“I’ve ….never heard of those places. How long would it all take? I have...I have to go home soon Jake. My family would be worried about me. Brother and Father are due to return home in two days.”

“Anywhere you need to be is only a step away, when you’re with me.” Jake grinned. “After we eat, I’ll portal us to Akashima. If we’re lucky, we might be able to see the alchemist in a few hours.”

Amari nodded, she opened her mouth to ask another question but before she could continue, the young girl returned, placing a tray of ‘hotcakes’ in front of both Amari and Jake. Amari noticed Jakes had more strawberries and cream than her own. “To remind you of last time.” The girl said to Jake with an extra wink as she left, virtually ignoring Amari.

Amari found it curious, and wondered if he really liked strawberries. If he did, and he were telling the truth, she’d have to make him something to say thank you. Amari turned to Jake, waiting for him to eat first, his ears and face were flush with red. “Are you alright?” She asked.

“Just hungry,” Jake muttered, and took a big bite of hotcakes.

As he cut into his own meal, Amari followed suit. Quietly eating. Not once did her knife or fork scrape the plate, nor did she spill any food. Her noble upbringing shining through in the simple act of eating. Amari enjoyed the meal, every so often she’d pause to compliment it and Jake, for his choice. When finished Amari set the cutlery down soundlessly. “Thank you Jake. I think I needed that.”