“Well, it’s not much of a happy story,” Jake said as Raff’s almond eyes turned toward him expectantly. “It starts off alright though. I was in Salvar trying to track down a demon, and I happened to meet Amari.” Jake blushed slightly and tugged at his scarf, omitting the part where he’d broken into the noblewoman’s house, intent on burglarizing it. “She invited me to dinner, and to spend the night… only, her brother came home unexpectedly. He flew into a rage and injected her with something-”

Jake pulled the syringe from his pocket and placed it delicately on the table. Amari visibly stiffened.

“-something that made her behave like one of the Mindless, and made her forget what happened. We only just got away. But like I said, she doesn’t remember what happened. I was thinking maybe-”

“The Warlock?” Raff interrupted, bending at the waist to take a closer look at the syringe. “I bet he could mix up an antivenom, if anyone could… but Jake, you know he’s-”

Jake pulled the purloined coinpurse from another pocket and plunked it down next to the syringe. “This should take care of it,” Jake said confidently. He yawned, his jaw cracking audibly, and shook his head. “My dire wolves are growling,” he said tiredly. “Would you mind taking her to see the old miser while I catch some winks?”

“Of course,” Raff smiled, “I’m just glad you caught me at home. I’m usually out… at work.” He smiled at Amari. “Is that alright with you, milady?” He picked up the syringe and the bag of gold, pocketing both.

She seemed uncomfortable with the idea, but gave a small complacent nod. “It will be fine. I do not see the reason for an antivenom, if I am no longer under its effects, but…” Her eyes shifted toward Jake. “I understand the need for one.”

“Take good care of her, Raff,” Jake said, stretching. He stood and disappeared through the door which led to the quieter room. Rafael perked up at a chance to be alone with the pretty high-born lady and, once again, stumbled on his path to holding the door for her.

“Don’t be afraid on the stairs, milady. I know they groan and sway, but they’ve been standing since before I was born.” The comment did not appear to assuage the girl’s concern, so he offered her his arm as they climbed down the rickety stairs.

Raff led the redhead west into the heart of the capital, where the buildings were made of stone and the streets smelled of baked goods cooling in windows rather than rotting fish guts. They came upon a particular estate surrounded by a wrought iron fence with an arched gate. Despite the obvious expense of the intricately designed three story house, the grounds were disheveled, and the windows all had black curtains hung behind them. It looked abandoned… except for the large half-orc standing guard at the gate.

“Ye’ wanna’ see The Warlock?” The half-orc asked as they approached. He put his right hand on the cudgel strapped to his belt, and his left hand in his pocket, jangling the coins there. “Pay us first, pretty boy and pretty girl.”

Raff pulled two thick golden coins out of the pouch in his pocket and offered them to the guard, who scooped them up and added them to his collection.

“G’wan then,” he said, unlatching the gate for them, “he ain’t busy today.”

The Akashiman boy felt as if he was pulling the Salvic girl down the walkway, but she came willingly enough. Her small and dainty hand felt warm in his grip. They made it to the expansive double doors, and then Raff reached out and lifted the large brass knocker.

“Lucky for us, he’s having a slow day,” he said with a smile.