Unlocking Potential: Part 1

It was a quiet autumn morning in the hamlet of Tastow. The sun was just threatening to crest the horizon and peak above the distant treetops to spread its smile across the landscape. Dew had settled on the ground from the night before, leaving the grass damp to the touch and the windows of the handful of houses fogged over. The cool air of the changing of the seasons was slowly drifting through the town center, rustling the first of the fallen leaves that indicated the new season.

I was already awake and dressed for the day, as I was every morning. That morning was no different. Before the sun rose and before the rooster crowed, I made sure that I was out of bed and doing my morning routine. First things first, I went outside and used the outhouse and brought in a bucket of water from the well-pump. After pouring that into the basin in the kitchen and bath, I returned to my room to change for the day.

My room was small but I did not need much in the way of space anyway. I had a bed that was a little lumpy, but a few times a year mom and I would go and get more straw to fill it with. I tossed on my brown pants and white, short sleeve shirt. I made sure to pull the draw strings on the pants as tight as I could at the waist, and tucked the shirt in just to try and add a little more to it, but there was no helping just how skinny I was. I put my belt through the loops, pulling it on all the way to the holes that I had punched new to make it fit tighter. Then the second belt so I could hang my pouches and goodies on like my dagger and sling. Lastly my boots and I was ready for the day.

“Honey, I’m making eggs and toast this morning. Did you want some before heading out?” My mom’s voice was so musically perfect and lingered on the air. It made me smile. I grabbed my staff and my ocarina and ducked out of my room to the main room which was both the common room and dining. “Already dressed and ready to go, did you want to wait for breakfast?”

“I’ll just grab an apple and a piece of bread. I’m going to with Duncan and Mr. Tumlin to sell the sheep today and can’t be late.” I scooped up a shoulder bag and placed a half-loaf of bread and two apples into it. My mom gently placed her hands on the sides of my face with her thumbs on my ears and kissed my forehead.

“Don’t forget,” she said as she pulled the hood of my cloak up over the two horns on my forehead, “if you see anyone you aren’t familiar with, or Mr. Tumlin specifically says anything about not being seen…”

“Yes, yes. I must hide, I know.” She smiled and kissed me on the forehead again, and with that I was out the door.