Level completed: 20%,
    EXP required for next Level: 1,600

GP

Name
    Lyric White-Hook
    Race
    Vampire

View Profile
    "Lyric, could you read back the ledger from this morning? Do we got any rooms open for the morn'?" Annie asked, arms busy with scrubbing the tables, talking across the room to her little scribe. But, as she was left hanging bereft of an answer, she had to look up from her task. "Lyric?"

Lyric, from his desk, was resting his head on a hand... Staring, blatantly, longingly, at the bard all the way across from where he was seated. Lyric, you see, had always been utterly entranced by music. He was like a mouse following ever piper who played, and this piper in particular was... Spectacular. In more ways than one. It was as if a spell had reached him through his ears. He was not sure why he was like this. It was certainly not a vampire thing, he didn't think. But damn if his heart didn't get wrapped up in every who-ha with a beautiful singing voice. But, it wasn't just the sheer talent of this man. Even his beast had something to eye up. This guy was handsome beyond compare, and muscular, and healthy. All great traits that make for higher quality blood that could sustain him even longer than normal people. It was something parallel to lust for him. Between the music and the man, Lyric was charmed beyond reason. And, beyond words, apparently.

The bard was not new. Not even the song. He came in at least once a month to come play, usually serenading any women in the joint. Some even come just because he's there. But that didn't stop Lyric from doing this ever single time either.

A snap near his ear,
    "Lyric." She had crossed the room completely without his notice. Even from beside him, dispelling this would prove difficult.

Lyric stirred. Barely. His eyes didn't leave the bard."... Hm?"

"Any rooms for the morn'?" Annie asked again, more directly, in his ear.

"... Mmm."

After a pause, Annie rolled her eyes but couldn't hide the smirk on her face. This lad looked like he was madly in love, and at this point couldn't even hide it. "You know, I could always invite him over here. You lookin' thirstier than a dry sponge from across the room just gets sadder to watch every time."

To that, Lyric seemed to react, eyes widening and breaking his stupor as he turned his head in disbelief at her. She had no idea how right she was in her phrasing. "What!? No, I-I'm fine! Why would you say that!?"

"It's okay." She reassured him, putting a hand on his shoulder. "I'm not your mother, you don't gotta pretend in front of me."

Once again, Lyric in his ever present paranoia read far too into what she was saying. Did she know!? No way, right? "W-What do you mean 'pretend'? I'm not pretending anything!"

"Oh, I can tell. It's all over your face." She offered a gentle smile. "I'll stop teasing you. Thanks for all you do again Lyric." With a knowing nod, she stepped away from him, leaving the vampire feeling both stunned and reified at the same time. He wanted to open his mouth, to thank her in turn, but her insinuations had him baffled. What could he say to that? What did she think of him exactly? Annie has been truly amazing to him all this time here, but she'd never suggest anything like that before. He always kept to himself if he could manage it. Though, perhaps, that was exactly why she had said something.

For all his time here, he was alone an awful lot. Normal people would go stir crazy. He was in a tavern, a social setting, and the three people he talked to the most was her and two little kids. He was in a shell, and would be best if he came out. Though, Annie could never have known to what extent that shell covered him. To her, he was just a bit of a loner odd-ball who turned out shockingly competent. Glad to have him, really, but it wasn't in her nature not to help those around her.

Recovering in time from Annie's interruption, with a little embarrassment & trepedation Lyric gawked a little more subtly at the bard again, enjoying the song. He sung the same damn thing everytime he came here and found girls. A song he had long become familiar with at this point, watching him serenade a young lady at her table...

A young man walked through the forest,
    With his quiver and hunting bow~
    He heard a young girl singing...
    And followed the sound below~
    There he found the maiden...
    Who lives in the willow~

A song about a man who finds a tree spirit who he tries to seduce. He would sing it so sweetly, so serenely, so well it was like magic in Lyrics' ears. The women too. He had yet to notice a single one who didn't follow him out the door once he got to it.

'Come with me my maiden,
    Come from thy willow bed...'
    She looked at him serenely,
    And only shook her head...

See me now...
    A ray of light in the moondance~
    See me now...
    I cannot leave this place~

The fae spirit would insist she could not go with him, that she could not leave her tree. But in the song the man would return, with flowers, and declare his love further. This part, Lyric loved, not because of the themes but rather a fun little quirk the bard would do: Personalize it for the lady he was seducing.

A young man walked through the forest,
    With a flower and coat of green~
    His love had hair like fire,
    Her eyes, an emerald sheen...
    She wrapped herself in beauty;
    So young and so serene~

Holy shit he was so good. Granted, having heard this so many times, he realized he wasn't THAT clever. He always commented on their hair color, and called them pretty and stuff, but... Damn if he didn't sound so good doing it, this could be forgiven. The song, from there, goes into once again how he would be the spirit's groom, but the spirit always declines, going into that wonderful chorus...

See me now...
    A ray of light in the moondance~
    See me now...
    I cannot leave this place~

See me now...
    Don't ask me,
    To follow where you lead...

And it's about here that he strums away as they both, every time, at the same time, get up and he plays them both out of the tavern with his rapturous voice. As the music fades off out the door, Lyric feels the emptiness it leaves behind and, spell broken, sighs. It's always so sad to see him leave, but at least he can get some more work done. Coming back down from having his head in the clouds, Lyric takes out a little mirror. It's such an innocuous item, Annie never questioned him why he needs it, but in truth it's to compulsively make sure he hadn't rubbed off any of his make up in his day dreaming.

Apart from the bard's welcome visit, today would be a very average day. But, that is good. If an average day is a peaceful day, then for Lyric, that is something always worth holding precious. If this could only be his new average, then maybe, he could pretend his life is nice and normal for once. Apart from the need to disguise himself, and the slow, but sure losing battle with his own blood starvation, he would do whatever he must to hold on to these sweet precious days while they were here. He dare say, he even had a friend in Annie. The first one to his knowledge. But, even a friend could never know of his true nature.

Oh, but how long could he keep this up? How long before he absolutely had to do SOMETHING about more blood?

As it turned out, he wouldn't need to wait long...
    Last edited by One Thread in a Tapestry; 06-01-2022 at 09:25 PM.