Level completed: 0%, EXP required for next Level: 0
    Level completed: 0%,
    EXP required for next Level: 0

GP

Name
    Joshua Breaker Cronen
    Race
    Demigod
    Over the next few weeks I visited temples and churches throughout the barony of Yarborough. The same trick worked many times over, and where it failed I substituted other feats of might, bending steel and breaking iron with my bare hands. Some resisted more than others, but most of the Thayne worshipers rallied to my cause. Those able-bodied and willing gathered a single haversack and a bedroll each, and joined the growing encampment in the sparse woods north and west of Gisela.

I found the work of persuading so many folk exhausting, and while I slept soundly each night, I never woke feeling rested. Still I pressed onward; the adamantine bracer fused to my forearm reminded me of Am’aleh’s task.

Rising from one such dreamless sleep, I slipped out of my nondescript tent and paced down a long line of similar accommodations. My plain black clothing, tailored to my athletic frame, gathered the afternoon sun’s rays. Men came to attention as I passed, acknowledging my presence despite the lack of a formal salute. I had no need for conventional military protocols. Once I had the numbers, I would train them, and they would become a fighting force like no other.

A large communal tent dominated the center of the camp, standing next to the cook-fires with their bubbling pots of porridge. Men and women milled around on the wooden walkways they had constructed to avoid the inevitability of mud paths. Torn up training yards surrounded the sleeping quarters, and beyond that wooden palisades with watch posts protected the area. I passed the gate guards with a friendly nod and headed north toward Kinley’s cottage. I had not seen her since leaving to embark on my mission.

At first I meandered through the loam and around the trees, enjoying the birdsong and natural smells. The clean air could almost wipe away the exhaustion engulfing me. Desire hastened my steps, and my pace quickened until my black boots had carried me all the way to her doorstep.

A somber silence seemed to suffocate me as I stepped inside. The Thaynebinder sat on the table, it’s dark manacles and chains piled neatly. Kinley sat staring at it, and then lifted her sapphire gaze to me.

“Josh? What is this?” She wrung her hands, looking at the artifact like a live serpent. “I found it while I was cleaning. I didn’t think you would keep secrets from me…” tears welled in her eyes.

I swept around the table and knelt in front of her. My mind raced, finding only one possible explanation.

“I’m so sorry you found this, Kinley… before I had a chance to show you.”

Her expression changed from sorrow to surprise, eyes and mouth widening, hands twitching toward the Thaynebinder.

“Show me?” She said, playing with her auburn locks, “show me what?”

“This… is for you.” I stood and picked the Thaynebinder up in both hands. “I want you to wear it.”

Her cheeks and neck reddened, and she covered her mouth. “Joshua…” She gasped, “I had no idea you could… be interested in such… things.”

I cast my eyes down, feigning shame. “I was afraid you would find it repulsive… that’s why I hid it away. Of course, you don’t have to-”

She stepped forward and touched my hand, and then caressed the chains. Her eyes were full of innocence and understanding, and a sliver of fear. Her voice trembled as she lifted her palm to my chest.

“If this is what you want…” she took the artifact from me, clutching the heavy collar and cuffs, “I’ll prepare myself for you.” She unbuttoned the top of her dress and slipped into the bedroom with a sultry glance over her shoulder. The scent of her desire hung in the air.

I took a deep breath, and then followed. The things I do in Am’aleh’s name.
    Last edited by Breaker; 01-20-2018 at 11:07 AM.