I released the women and rolled to my feet, stalking to my sword as casually as a tiger approaching a watering hole. Nessa and Selima stood, both looking away in embarrassment. It was probably a long time since either had been so swiftly bested. The Salvic brothers were not much better off; they stood with their heads together, muttering and seeming to go over what had just happened. I plucked my sword from where it grew from the ground and assumed a low guard, circling away from Marvin.

The big man tossed his mace from hand to hand a few times, kicking his feet to loosen his legs. He cracked his neck one way, then the other, and snarled. I stifled a chuckle. So he was one of those men who needed to be angry to fight. I could help him with that.

“Come on, you great burgundy bastard.” I taunted. I swung my sword behind my back and held it there with both hands, presenting a clear target for attack.

Marvin let out a roar and exploded forward, moving with surprising speed for such a big man. Not even bothering to wind up, he ran straight at me and unleashed a backhand swing that could have felled a sapling.

I bent my knees and shifted my torso, leaning back and letting the flanged mace pass within an inch of my face. The backdraft tousled my greasy hair. As Marvin prepared for a second swing, I pivoted so the point of my sword, still held behind my back, pressed against his midriff. A clear and decisive victory after only one blow.

The ginger giant froze, staring down at the crystal sword that had nearly impaled him. The hand holding his mace shook with what appeared to be rage, and I prepared myself to fend off another attack.

Instead, the big man burst out laughing.

“Marv, are you alright?” Nessa asked after full minute of his exuberant mirth.

“I’m fine,” the giant chuckled once he regained control of his breath. “I suppose we should have known better than to challenge Joshua Cronen’s prized pupil on his own terms. We’d best count ourselves lucky you’re a good egg, Jake Narmolanya.”

“You’d best hope that this Arkboss isn’t as good a fighter as me,” I said critically. “Otherwise, most of you will probably die.”

That ended Marvin’s mirth quickly. He slipped his mace back through its belt loop and nodded at his compatriots in turn.

“That’s why we have inside information, and a plan. It all hinges on your portalling ability, so I hope you’re well rested. And don’t think so little of us. You may have surprised us with your nifty Breaker-tricks, but we’re a fighting unit unlike any you’ve ever seen. Just last week, we took out a whole hive of vamps. Must have slain at least two score of them between us.”

“Alright, you’ve convinced me,” I said, sheathing my sword fluidly and holding up both palms. “You all seem very well trained. I just hope this demon we’re after is equally impressed.”

“Aye,” Marvin nodded and clapped me on the shoulder hard enough to rattle my teeth. “Let’s hope so.”

“Well?” I looked around at the group of slayers and splayed my hands. “Consider me part of the team. Where are we off to?”