He let out a long, uneasy sigh and released her neck. Breath rushing back into her lungs she gasped, and then spluttered, remaining in the same position but responding to the physical needs. Her own attitude was a knowledge of what he was, and a personally created bubble of dread that bordered on awe. Complete and full wonder at what he was and what he … hells, what he had actually done to her …

“How - how many deaths?” she whispered.

Vitruvion heaved in a weary sigh. He looked at her before looking down at her plumage. Her glossy feathers, so beautiful to his eyes and wondrous and ebony.

“There is no limit,” he admitted. “It will continue until …”

“Until?” she urged.

“Until I and the god Galatirion jointly agree it for the best to end it.”

Which meant … well.

She swallowed heavily, the weight of the news crushing her. A realisation of a life … a truly eternal, immortal life. One that she could not escape from, aside from those.mythical tales.

He shook his head as he lifted his eyes back to her. “We were very thorough, Stare. Two gods, one who's speciality is immortality itself. Granted, elvish immortality but the idea is the-”

“But why?” she suddenly cried, tears starting to fall now. “Forgive me but why? Why couldn't you let me just live a full life?”

The question seemed to stun him for a moment. Vitruvion paused and he looked right into her eyes. She saw fire in there, energy and the same passion as before. His chin lifted as he moved properly now, his leg unfolding so he was completely straddling her. Leaning in he locked contact with her and stretched a hand until he rested on the headboard. He locked his fingers around it and balanced himself as his other hand slid down and cupped the side of her jaw. Intently he gazed at her and in that moment … she was aware of what Nevin had spoken off. When he had discovered his and Vitruvion's true connection. When he had seen their bonds. When he had murmured:

You… you love her. You really love her.

“I made the most selfish decision I ever have that day, Stare,” he spoke in a hushed tone, but full of strong confidence and pride. So much determination. So much intent. “I decided that I refused to live without you. Not that I could not live with you, but I would not. I refused, and I still refuse.” He moved even closer to her, and she was entirely mute, lost in his words, his gaze, his presence … “You are mine, Stare, forever and always, and I refuse to let anything take you from me. Another hand, another god, war, death - nothing stands in my way now. You are mine, and have admitted such so many times. Body, soul, now existence. I will live forever, and you will now too. By my side, constantly. I will never let anyone touch you, I will keep you even when you hate me with every morsel of your body, yet still I will keep my promises to you, Stare.” He breathed out and narrowed his eyes, his hold on her chin though still as gentle as a newborn. “You cannot escape me, now. Ever. You are mine, and for what I need to be I am yours. Your god, your friend, your companion. We will face eternity together, and I swear from this day to protect you. Forever.” .

He stared right at her, to her very core being and her soul, which was … entirely his. She admitted it now, she gave in and completely admitted it. She was his through and through and even though she swore she hated him her loyalty had always lain with him. Why then would she forgo sleep for all those hours and try to save the city in his name? Why then would she fight this war? Because she was loyal to him. She had to honestly admit it to herself. She had been ever since she found out he was her god.

“For-ever.”

... Fuck.