I grumbled when I was denied access to the vials in the carefully carved box. The vials of the red liquid had called to be with an unheard voice, promising a chance of just what I desired. When they were whisked away my brow furrowed, I straightened and frowned at the idiots woman who just did not quite get what I was saying. Pulling in oxygen through my lips as black spots starting darting over my eyesight.

Though I was not using the one word that this woman would recognise and comprehend. Vampire. The bloodsuckers of this world, ones who like my own mother's race (and, for one half of me, my race) who were usually associated with demons and darkness. Vampires lurked in the dead places of mythology in Althanas, rulers of horror and true beings of despair. For some people I had met (namely, a drow and a couple of demons) I had opened the truth of what I was to them, and used that fateful word, but they had associations with dark things themselves. In this city, in this temperate culture I had only met people who said the word vampire with caution and fear. What would a catgirl think of me?

I had no idea, as I had never met a being like this, but I did not want to risk it.

“I need a potion that simulates what nutrients are in blood,” I basically repeated myself. “I do not want any bleeding, people being hurt, just fake blood. But it needs to be good quality.”

Finally… it seemed as though it dawned on the idiot cat. Her eyes widened and she inhaled deeply. “Ohhh…” the word came as a whisper from her lips and I felt relief. The cat blinked and sighed. “Why not just say you drinking the blood?” She shook her head and her blue bob waved to and fro. “Stay here. Will check out back if have any fake or real.” She offered me a smile as she turned and disappeared behind the door at back, carrying the wooden box.

I nodded a little, though could not hide my caution. So she had figured it out, finally, what I wanted - needed. But that did not mean she had not already surmised that I was similar to a vampire. Drinking blood meant that here, right? What other creature needed the crimson liquid to sustain them?

Well. Unianos, but I was quite literally the only one of them on this planet.

I sighed as I tugged off my hood from my head, truly hoping she wasn't going to call for a group of townsfolk with pitchforks. The best solution would be that she just thought my drinking would be a form of sexual kink.

The blue haired girl returned several minutes later. Her hair was tousled and she had smudges of gray dust on her sleeves and fingers. Still. She held two vials of what looked like a bright red liquid. She approached the counter and placed them on the wooden surface, defeated. “Could only find this. Nevin not use fake blood much. Only real. Will this do?”

I looked down at the two vials, blinking a few times. I tried to sniff the air to see if I could find out the sort of blood it was - hour much iron my be in there - however, the stopper seemed to be successful at blocking anything from the liquid itself to the smell. With a great amount of honesty I met eyes with the shop girl. Eteri, I reminded myself the name was.

“I won't know,” I did cautiously, “I need to … Sample it.”

“You buy one vial then.” She said as she pushed a vial over toward me. “If good can have both. No refund if not like. Sorry.”

Great. Well, that was something I was going to have to expect. At least there was no angry mob yet. Therefore I nodded slowly, and pulled back my cloak aside to get to my belt with my knife and the money pouch there. “Fine,” I said, pulling out a gold piece. I set it on the counter with a loud clatter. Eteri picked it up sniffed it then placed it in her pocket.

With that, I took up the vial and nodded. Setting my fingers on the stopper I pinched it, then opened it. At once a strange, bitter smell came to my nostrils and I frowned a little. It was not blood, that was clear. No defined iron or copper. But that did not mean that it would not suffice. Taking my littlest finger I dipped the end of it into the top of the vial. Just as I did a wave of discomfort began to writhe up my body and it took a great amount of concentration to keep myself together. Gritting my teeth I quickly pulled the little finger away from the fake blood, stoppered it again as I pushed the finger between my lips. Anxiously I licked it up, my mind and senses on eager fire before -

I blinked. And frowned. The taste was horrible, and the comfort I usually got … was not anywhere. My body still shock, there was no satisfaction and no glory in those times when the nutrients rushed into me.

Nothing.

“Damn,” I cursed.