Renowned for its beautiful architecture and rich culture, the Telgradian capital city of Garah was the crown jewel of Telgradia. Its famous Lunar Harp Theatre attracted people from all over the country to admire poetry and prose, and to lose themselves in tales of love, comedy and war. The bustling Garah Markets brought endless streams of merchants and traders through the gates, and with them their finest and rarest wares for all to bargain for from the four corners of the world. The inns and wine bars served only the finest meads and vine, and their rooms were bursting with patrons, their streets littered with the happy drunks and the disorderly at kicking out time.

The buildings in Garah were, by far, the most special sight and were the only ones of their kind in Telgradia. Constructed from a silver quartz-like material called Frach, the houses and structures spanning for miles and miles gleamed in dawn’s early light, refracting the warm orange hue through their translucent skins to illuminate other nearby structures. In the town square, the exclusive Council of Five buildings were aligned in such a way that the early morning sunrise poured light into a Frach trough that encircled the Telgradian royal compound and struck through it. This created a glowing golden crest in the image of the royal seal, which was visible in the town square until sunset.

Shinsou Vaan Osiris gazed upon the royal seal from the third story window of the Council’s headquarters, sipping tea slowly from an oaken cup, now awaiting his audience with the Council of Five. Something about the image of the seal seemed to bother him, a small fragment of a detail lodged on the back of his mind somewhere, perhaps, but he couldn’t place it and thus dismissed it, shaking his head. He sat in a nearby chair, and instead cast his still weary eyes to the polished wooden floorboards, cradling his lukewarm beverage.

It was the first time in the three years he had been sealed that his body had ventured outside of the darkness of Kokushi, so he had been told by his attendants, and his eyes were having immense trouble adjusting to the light three days later. Even staring down at a dull color such as an oak floorboard was making his eyes ache, and his head thump, so much so that he dug his fingernails into his forehead and raked them through his hair irritably in a vain effort to release some of the pain.

“Shinsou?”

A heavy, official looking spruce-wood door at the end of the narrow white corridor had swung open, and in its doorway stood the heavy set features of one of the Telgradian Council’s messengers, complete with black coat-tails, white stockings and ceremonial white wig. Atlas looked up, slowly, making a visor over his aching eyes with his free hand to try and make out more of the man addressing him.

“Yeah?”

“Apologies for the delay. Councillor Soltair will see you now.”

Shinsou nodded slowly, prising himself out of his chair, and paced up the corridor. He handed the empty oaken cup to the messenger on the way past. Uttering his thanks, the Telgradian nodded and closed the door behind him.

As he turned, he took in his new surroundings.

The first thing that hit him was the rich scent of fresh wood, a very delicious scent indeed. The room was only about twelve foot squared but it was paneled in mahogany, furnished with ivory trinkets and finished with Frach detailing around the ceiling. A large marble table separated Osiris from the business end of the room, on which a traditional silver Telgradian ceremonial tea set was placed.

Across from Shinsou sat Telos Soltair, the man he had spoken with. Up closer, he was a much less imposing man; a wiry frame smothered in the same flowing haori and elegant feudal robes he had worn the other day. He stood up, running a swift hand through his tied back, chestnut brown hair.

“Good to see you up and about, Shinsou. Welcome, please sit down.” He extended an inviting palm gesture for the Telgradian to sit.

“Thank you, Councilor.” Shinsou responded, pulling up a nearby chair.

“Tea?” Asked Telos, gesturing towards the tray ahead of him. “My attendants told me that you have had a bit of a taste for the Tiger Leaf blend since you left Kokushi on Monday.”

Shinsou nodded, taking the pot and pouring the thin herbal blend into a silver teacup. He watched as the green liquid swirled around the cup, looking into his own weary eyes in the reflection of the surface of the tea.

“What happened to me, if I may ask? I don’t recall much, so I was hoping you could fill me in.”

Telos picked up the teapot and poured his own tea, and sat down. He sipped from his tea, smiling as the green liquid washed over his dry lips. It was pleasant and refreshing. As he looked up from the rim of his silver cup, the councilor caught Atlas’s gaze. It was the first time he had really looked him in the eyes since he had arrived; they were deep, golden curious eyes. His brown hair was swept back to the crown, and for a man as old as he, Telos could see a boyish charm about the lad. High cheekbones, strong frame. A fine Telgradian specimen indeed.

Understandable, given his parentage. Telos thought as he afforded himself a wry smile.

Shinsou broke the momentary stare, and coughed. He appeared to dismiss his previous question, now puzzled about something else, and quickly spoke his mind.

"You used Shirubashakkuru with half an incantation to break my seals. That’s a tier three spell. My memory is still only just coming back to me, but I remember a lot about Telgradian magic, and I seem to remember that spells numbering in the third tier were very difficult to control.”

“That’s right.” Telos said, somewhat surprised. “There are ten tiers in total. Anything above tier five is usually only permitted to be used by the five people that comprise the Council of Five. Tiers three and four are difficult to control for most people, but easy enough for someone like me. Your memory intrigues me. Some of it seems to still be intact? Quite a feat considering your lengthy stay in Kokushi.”

Shinsou sighed, sipping a little of his tea and averting his gaze from the window to stop his eyes from punching out of his skull. He wanted his first question answering again.

“Look, I’m not sure what happened before I ended up in that place. You told me I was injured in battle and brought to Kokushi to heal. I don’t remember anything prior to yesterday. All I was told was that I was required here at the Council.”

Telos nodded, sipping his own tea. “The Council of Five doesn’t convene properly until next week, but I needed to see you before then. Let me fill you in on your situation and a little bit about why you are here.”

Telos stood up, lifting his voluminous arrangement of robes from his seat, and paced to the window, gazing out into the streets below.

“Telgradia is a beautiful country, Shinsou, and for all intents and purposes a content kingdom. However, despite its surface appearances and brave faces, it is also in a period of transition. Three years ago, there was a huge civil war between us, the Telgradians, and a sect of former loyalists called the Jal Shey. We won, but the fallout has left deep, lasting scars."

Telos sighed, adopting a more serious tone. “We sent you on a mission with a man called Arius Mephisto to find out what the Jal Shey were up to in the outlands. It would seem that you both found something much, much worse than the separatists there. A whole Jal Shey empire, in fact. One so big it was a wonder it went undetected for so long. They were organized, well-funded, and well led. ”

Shinsou frowned as Telos turned to him, then back to the window.

“There was a powerful and dangerous Jal Shey who commanded power over the minds of those who pledged to follow him. When they attacked, they were ruthlessly efficient at it. The Jal Shey leader himself was a wielder of levels of magic that have been as yet unseen. He used a great deal of it to murder tens of thousands of people and turn the tide of the war in his favor.”

Shinsou’s demeanor changed. He started itching on his right arm, and he looked anxious. Telos hadn’t noticed, and was still facing the window.

What is this…I’m feeling?

“Anyway, you and Arius were captured and tortured. The Council of Five had a short skirmish with this Jal Shey, but he up and vanished before we could finish the job. We managed to get you both out alive.”

“So, where is this Arius?” Shinsou asked.

“It’s complicated. The damage he suffered was so bad that his soul had to be razed from him and stored in a crystal vessel whilst his body was healed. Essentially, he no longer exists, save for that crystal. And this…” Telos paced back towards his seat, throwing his weight into the chair and crossing his leg. “…is why we need you.”