While the fight raged in The Foul Stench, the atmosphere was quite calm in the neighboring tavern called Stonevale's Best Pie. True to its name, the place sold fantastic pies, both savory and sweet.

Marigold the Freebooter was sitting at the head of a long table, surrounded by his crew. The pirate picked his teeth with a sliver of floorboard as the rowdy sound from next door bled through the walls.

"Harrharrharr, me buckoes, what sound be that?" Marigold asked the table, cocking an exaggerated hand to his ear.

"Why cap'n," said Longeyes, the lookout, "that's the sound of maidens singin' and dancin'!"

"No it aint!" Belted Peaches, the first mate, "tis the gentle trill of the wind blowing through silver chimes!"

"Close!" Marigold smiled darkly, "it do be a pleasin' sound t'be sure... but 'tis the bleat of a barroom battle!"

"What?" Peaches growled, leaning forward and spitting out a mouthful of lettuce, "They're havin' a fight in this town... and they didn't invite us?"

"Sad but true," Marigold shook out his dreadhawk and smoothed his mustache. "Whatever shall we do?"

~*~ ~*~ ~*~

The front door of the Foul Stench (or whatever it's called) burst open, and a bevy of pirates armed with cudgels, glass bottles, and fists streamed in. Marigold ran in the lead flanked by barrel-chested Peaches and lean Longeyes. He leapt up on a table and, finding a certain rhythm to the chaos around him, began to dance and sing. The crew worked like a well oiled machine, defending him from anyone who dared approach.

"Weeeeeeelllllllllll haharrr and ho-ho-ho,
What do be this I see?
This pub is the place to be in town,
And yeh' didn't invite me!

Now I shan't be whining like a woe ridden ass,
But I do feel yeh' could have come callin'!
An invite to the fight would show some true class
And there's no reason for yeh' to be stallin'!"

The joyous hornpipe carried him up and down the length of the tavern's tables while his crew joined in the merry-making, spurred on by their captain's bravado.