AJ leaned casually against the wall as he watched the many lords, ladies, and common folk dance and meander about the room. He and his brother were taller than most of their peers at home, though he noticed that they seemed rather average in the rest of the world. He still wasn’t quite sure what he thought about that. He was, however, sure about what he thought of their first “foray” into the outside world: balls were boring, no matter where you were in the world.

He looked around and noticed ZJ dancing gracefully with a lovely young blonde. He grinned cheekily to himself. Of course ZJ was dancing. Between the two of them, this ball was far more ZJ’s thing than AJ’s. Siela was even more in her element. He saw her across the room. As usual, she was surrounded by adoring suitors. She would be quite busy dancing the rest of the night away.

Sighing to himself, he moved off the wall and headed outside to the courtyard. There was just nothing much for a nearly 16-year old boy to do at a fancy ball that was fun. At least, not the kind of fun that would be permissible. He couldn’t even show off his halberd skills since no weapons had been permitted.

~*~*~

As the song ended, ZJ bowed slightly to his dance partner. “Thank you for the dance, Lady Olivia. You are an exquisite dancer.”

Lady Olivia giggled, “You as well, Highness.”

ZJ winced a little, “Please, just Zevernus. If you’ll excuse me, I think I see my brother slipping out for some fresh air. I think I’ll join him.”

With a nod, the older twin moved away from the dance floor to follow AJ out to the courtyard.

AJ and ZJ move to the courtyard
~*~*~

Siela flashed a smile as she curtsied in response to her dance partner’s bow. It had been a long time since she’d truly enjoyed herself at a ball. Perhaps, she thought, it is the new faces. The suitors back home know exactly who I am and my connections. These fellows see only a lovely girl. It’s refreshing.

“Thank you, for the dance, Princess Siela,” the young lord said. “Perhaps you would care for a drink?”

“Thank you, most kindly,” she returned. “A drink would be lovely.” She moved away from the dance floor and took a seat. The young lord caught up to her a moment later and handed her a fluted glass of wine. This was an extra treat. Normally, her parents did not permit her or her brothers alcohol, but Jasmine could not reasonably mind them about such things on this trip and had at last acquiesced on the matter so long as the teenagers minded themselves.

“Would you like something to eat?”

Another young lord was asking this time. She had no shortage of young men willing to fetch as she pleased. She nodded curtly, “I do believe I could do with a small snack.”

The young lord was off in a moment. Out of the corner of her eye, Siela noted the faces of some of the other young women. Though they too had no shortage of willing young men, she could sense the animosity in their minds. They did not like a foreigner making such an impact on the Salvic social scene. Not to worry, ladies, she chuckled to herself, [i]They will forget about me in due time once I’ve returned home.

The young lord returned with a plate of hors d'oeuvres. Siela thanked him once more and took the plate. This was going to a great evening, even with the glared daggers coming from the local ladies.

~*~*~

Jasmine meandered around the ballroom, keeping mostly to herself. She engaged in small talk here and there, but only briefly. She smiled to herself as she watched Siela dance with partner after partner. As much as her daughter complained, she knew the girl greatly enjoyed these kinds of occasions. ZJ also seemed to be enjoying himself.

Now, where has AJ gotten off to?

As she looked around she caught sight of the teal hair exiting the ballroom for the courtyard. Ahh, as I expected. He’d have probably been better off staying home. Oh well, he’ll be fine I’m sure. There goes Zev to join him.

All at once she realized she had been spoken to, “Oh! I’m sorry, I was a little lost in thought watching my children. This is their first ball away from home. I’m Princess Jasmine of Moriah. I didn’t catch your name?”

Before her stood an older gentleman, graying at the temples. “Quite alright, Your Highness. I am Lord Haversham, I had come to see if you would like a dance?”

“Certainly,” Jasmine answered and took his offered arm.