EXP required for next Level: 2,705

GP

Name
    Hanuh Lulia Icebreaker-Tabor Toivonen
    Race
    Mostly human with some elf

View Profile
    "Hanuh."

I awoke. I looked up to a starlit sky, glistening with twinkling diamonds of pale white light against the cold darkness. I realized I felt sand surrounding me. Standing up, I looked around to see endless sand dunes extending for miles on end. Nothing but the stars above and sand below. Why was I here? I could tell this was a dream, yet it felt so... real... I...

"Hanuh."

I spun around, the white evening gown I wore twirling as I did so. I saw a hooded, cloaked man in heavy robes. I was unable to see his face. Was he a friend? We stood, several places from each other. He shifted his feet casually, speaking again.

"Happy birthday."

I gaped. How did this stranger know of my birthday? That my birthday was on March Eleventh? I looked at him, standing perfectly on the sand. My feet had sunken into the sand, soft and cool against my bare feet and ankles. As I gazed at him, I asked, "Who are you? What is this place? How do you know me?"

The man took a step forward. I took a step. Despite his being completely covered, I could tell that he was hurt from my flinch. He paused for a moment, then spoke, "I spent many, many years in this land. I was a troubled youth who lost everything, until I met the past and future rolled into one. I have a long past in this land, yet I had never imagined that I would have died here too."

I looked around at the smooth, rolling desert. A shooting star painted the cloudless sky in a sprinkling of light. I looked back to the man.

"I... I died too soon." His voice quivered, "I was unable to save my wife from the darkness I saw in her. I was unable to raise my child, watch her grow up. I was unable to protect my daughter, barred from speaking from the other side. I failed. All because I let my guard down once on a daily patrol."

Realization was beginning to dawn on me as he continued, "I finally was able to talk to you, only five years years later. Five years too late. I could not guide or save your mother, I cannot save you from your grandfather's prison, but I can guide you. My daughter."

Tears flooded my eyes as I choked, "F-fath..."

He opened his arms wide.

"Father!"

I effortlessly darted across the sand and clung tightly to him, embracing my father in a deep hug. "Father! Daddy! Oh, daddy!"

"Yes," the man spoke, crying as I was, "I am here, my darling. I love you."

Hearing those words broke me. I cried louder, squeezing him. He held me, loved me, and gave me so much warmth in the chilly desert night. Eventually, he pulled away. I whined at first, yet only stood still as he reached back and pulled off his hood. He had dark skin and curley, brown hair and oak eyes. He was young and, well, handsome. He smiled gently, sweetly at me. He lifted his finger and caressed my tear stained cheek.

"I cannot protect you from the dangers of the world, Hanuh," He gazed intensely into my eyes, earnest and true as I shivered, "But I can help you not make the same mistakes your mother and I did. And I can train you to better use your powers, once you are freed from that tube."

He took my head and leaned forward, resting his forehead against mine. "And tonight, I can wish you happy birthday."

I smiled gently, then was surprised when he raised an amused eyebrow.

"Problem is, is it your sixth birthday or your sixteenth birthday right now?"

Oh yeah, I forgot my grandpa had described him as a joker.
    Last edited by Ignis Glaciesque; 07-15-2021 at 01:06 AM.
    ~ Songs of Hanuh ~

"Set my world on fire
    Cause I want to watch it burn"
    - Glasslands, Deadman.