"Well," Esmeralda said, "I need to get to the bazaar and buy a new mattress."

"Isn't the bazaar in Radasanth?" Alina inquired, somewhat confused.

"What? Err, yes." Esmeralda corrected herself. "I meant the uh... mattress store... that sells mattresses... here in Stonevale. I actually have an account there. This isn't the first time that ol' busy mustachios has ruined my bed." She turned toward Alina, a pensive finger laid along her jawline. "But it is the first time that one of the people he rescued hasn't run away screaming. Why are you still here my dear?"

"I uh-" Alina stammered, suddenly wishing she had a language barrier to hide behind. "I wanted to hear what Archibald had to sing. It was very educational, and not just that, but interesting and well written."

"Why thank you," Archibald said with twirl of his hand and a bow, "I was up all night working on the lyrics. I wrote them just for you. Now, it would appear my work here is done. You kids play nicely!" He pirouetted once and gave his mustache a twist, and vanished in a puff of evaporated milk.

"Well?" Esmeralda said, extending her arm. "Would you like to join me for a stroll to the store? If you still need a place to stay tonight, I can purchase two beds instead of one. You won't need to share mine. And I promise I will NEVER attempt to poison you again. I am very sorry for the way I treated you, you're just..." she became lost in thought as she gazed at the dancer's fine black hair and deep dark eyes. "So pretty..."

"Don't push your luck," Alina said. "If you truly do mean to welcome me in your home... I could just stay here while you go to the store. And I don't mind sleeping on the couch. I'm used to a bit of cloth covering the coarse sand or using a horse as a pillow, so the cushions out there will be quite comfy for me."

"As you wish," Esmeralda said with a sigh. She made as if to touch Alina's cheek but then thought better of it. Alina gathered her belongings from the pile on the milky mattress and the two women moved into the living room, where the Fallieni made herself comfortable on the couch.

"Are you sure you won't come to the store with me, dear?" Esmeralda asked from the door. "It's a lovely evening for a little fresh air."

"I'm actually rather tired from all the excitement." Alina said. "I think I'll rest awhile and reflect on Archibald's lessons."

"Don't put too much stock in what that old galoot says," Esmeralda warned, "he may have ulterior motives."

"Such as what?" Alina asked, but the other woman was already gone.

Oh well, the dancer thought as she leaned back on the couch, eyes roving the well decorated home. What to do now?