Green
    Build
    175lbs -- 6'
    Job
    Grandmaster Assassin

View Profile

Time to Make a Change

"It's time to make a change."

Over the years, I have watched Althanas peak and valley in activity and members. Over those years, we have hit several road bumps and sometimes massive sink holes. Sometimes, players whisper ideas to one another on what we did wrong or what would make this place more fun.

Well, I think it's time to make a change.

With the approval of Sir Dirks himself (that's right folks, this is totally sanctioned by "The Man"), we are opening the doors to the public. We want all of your ideas on how to make Althanas more fun. We're not talking about free levels, or improving certain rules... We are talking fun.

What does that mean? That means we are willing to break a few rules. Maybe temporarily, maybe permanently and we're not joking.

In fact, out of all the suggestions we get here, we guarantee that at least three of them will be chosen and implemented. Depending on how good the idea is, we may even sweeten the deal with EXP, GP, and/or AP.

So that's it. Plain and simple. I want to know what you think will make Althanas a better place to write and what you think your friends might enjoy if they started writing here.

Have at it!

-- Banhammer Lye
    "All mortal men possess the capacity to do evil. Some are simply more capable than others."
    - Anonymous

Fists of Fury
    EXP: 29,216, Level: 7
    Level completed: 28%, EXP required for next level: 5,784
    Level completed: 28%,
    EXP required for next level: 5,784
    GP

Name
    (Sir) John Albert Cromwell
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Sandy blonde, falls around his shoulders barely
    Eye Color
    blue
    Build
    7'8", 593lbs
    Job
    Armored brute, mercenary, blacksmith

View Profile
    Annual easter egg hunt.
    More public events like the golden autumn inn.
    'nature denied me claws and fangs, so I tore the earth apart, forging them of iron and crafting them of steel'

Althanas' Fitiest Fiter (2015-2016)

got an ingot of titanium
    http://www.althanas.com/world/showth...osed-to-Logan)

Fists of Fury
    EXP: 29,216, Level: 7
    Level completed: 28%, EXP required for next level: 5,784
    Level completed: 28%,
    EXP required for next level: 5,784
    GP

Name
    (Sir) John Albert Cromwell
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Sandy blonde, falls around his shoulders barely
    Eye Color
    blue
    Build
    7'8", 593lbs
    Job
    Armored brute, mercenary, blacksmith

View Profile
    Mini vignettes, little short two paragraph scenes.
    'nature denied me claws and fangs, so I tore the earth apart, forging them of iron and crafting them of steel'

Althanas' Fitiest Fiter (2015-2016)

got an ingot of titanium
    http://www.althanas.com/world/showth...osed-to-Logan)

EXP: 720, Level: 1
    Level completed: 36%, EXP required for next level: 1,280
    Level completed: 36%,
    EXP required for next level: 1,280
    GP

Name
    Eillynn Xilfina
    Race
    High Elf. Raiaeran
    Hair Color
    light blonde
    Eye Color
    Dark green
    Build
    5'4" 113 lbs
    Job
    None

I personally believe that we need more settings for people to write in. As a person who has made so many different accounts: Ellie, Alice/Zevit, Cerock, Etc... I've had a lot of issues trying to fit myself into the world here and i've noticed several friends who try to play also have this issues. It's very intimidating coming onto this site where you all have built so much lore and trying to just jump in it. We dont want to feel out of place and i'm sure some people are afraid of writing something misleading or that doesn't line up correctly with the world. Just giving my input on the situation because I really do like this site; as little as I join in on it I do like it. CardsofFate had mentioned this thread popping up to me so I had to jump in and give my input

Administrator
    EXP: 63,653, Level: 10
    Level completed: 88%, EXP required for next level: 1,347
    Level completed: 88%,
    EXP required for next level: 1,347
    GP

Name
    Lichensith Ulroké
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Platinum
    Eye Color
    Green
    Build
    175lbs -- 6'
    Job
    Grandmaster Assassin

View Profile
    More deets, red. Those are just event titles. How would they work, what are the rewards?
    "All mortal men possess the capacity to do evil. Some are simply more capable than others."
    - Anonymous

Blind Lore Mod in Trainin
    EXP: 4,050, Level: 2
    Level completed: 69%, EXP required for next level: 950
    Level completed: 69%,
    EXP required for next level: 950
    GP

Name
    ----
    Race
    whatever the situation requires
    Hair Color
    ---
    Eye Color
    ---

The opportunity to branch off the wiki and describe worlds associated with the "nexus" as well as other "uncharted lands.

Making the Nexus a thread that isn't barried and thus more excessable to all writers.
    INEED to see your vision, and the layers you apply sometimes make that difficult" (By Storm).
    Lore Q&A
    Screen-reader user, welcome, PM me with questions on how the site works with your software

Il'Jhain Runner
    EXP: 20,399, Level: 6
    Level completed: 6%, EXP required for next level: 6,601
    Level completed: 6%,
    EXP required for next level: 6,601
    GP

Name
    Mordelain Saythrou
    Race
    Tama
    Hair Color
    Red
    Eye Color
    Green
    Build
    5'12"/155llbs
    Job
    il'Jhain

View Profile
    Remove the chat feature. It's responsible for more drops in activity than any other event, player, or set of circumstance since I joined in 2009.

Deliver Us
    EXP: 69,763, Level: 11
    Level completed: 40%, EXP required for next level: 7,237
    Level completed: 40%,
    EXP required for next level: 7,237
    GP

Name
    Shinsou Vaan Osiris
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Brown
    Eye Color
    Gold
    Build
    6'0", 155lbs
    Job
    "Executor" (Leader) of the Brotherhood

View Profile
    I think the site needs more good versus evil conflict.

I often prattle on about this as the main example, but a long time ago in the Interactive Village a clan called the Castigars (headed by our very own Visla Eclaire / ISOS as he was known then and also participated in by our very own Cyrus the Virus / Izvilvin) rose up to try and unite the world under their banner. What followed was a succession of smaller clans all banding together to fight this absolute monster of an army.

It was really fun, everyone was active and everyone wanted to get at the throats of these guys. I think there might have been genuine anomosity at the time too which drove everything forward. It wasn't the most skilled bunch of writing we have ever seen but it was fun and left lasting impressions on characters you even see today.

How cool would it be to have a site sponsored army of evil or even chaotic neutral warriors taking on the members of the forums in all out war across parts of actual Althanas realms? A whole world at war? Everyone banding together to fight a common enemy, or even betraying their own sides for personal gain?

The practicality of it is one thing but I guarantee you it would attract interest. If that doesn't work, maybe even turn it into a bit of a Final Fantasy Dissidia type thing where two generals on opposing sides pick an army and summon the characters of Althanas as avatars to battle on a new area of Althanas, some sort of ethereal plain?

In either of these ideas you could incentivise the threads. If it is some sort of world war, missions for each side that are completed get an exp or AP bonus for participation. Special rewards for outstanding threads. That sort of thing?

I'm purely spitballing but the idea of an Althanian World War against not other countries but an alliance of characters makes me want to start writing already.
    Last edited by Shinsou Vaan Osiris; 02-26-16 at 12:54 PM.

Althanas Operations Administrator

"When we were young, was this the dream we had? We're celebrating nothing. We need to find our way back."

Deliver Us
    EXP: 69,763, Level: 11
    Level completed: 40%, EXP required for next level: 7,237
    Level completed: 40%,
    EXP required for next level: 7,237
    GP

Name
    Shinsou Vaan Osiris
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Brown
    Eye Color
    Gold
    Build
    6'0", 155lbs
    Job
    "Executor" (Leader) of the Brotherhood

View Profile
    Quote Originally Posted by Mordelain View Post
    Remove the chat feature. It's responsible for more drops in activity than any other event, player, or set of circumstance since I joined in 2009.
    Not true. I spend 99% of my time in chat and the people who go in, bar BlackandBlueEyes, are all active writers. Fez, myself, Gnarl, Storm Veritas, Karuka, darkest.desires, JDD and redford being examples of chat regulars.

Althanas Operations Administrator

"When we were young, was this the dream we had? We're celebrating nothing. We need to find our way back."

Break knees, collect fees
    EXP: 94,624, Level: 13
    Level completed: 34%, EXP required for next level: 9,376
    Level completed: 34%,
    EXP required for next level: 9,376
    GP

Name
    Madison Freebird
    Race
    Human
    Job
    The Absolute Worst

View Profile
    Quote Originally Posted by Mordelain View Post
    I'm giving you my 2015 Villain of the Year award, Cyd. You truly deserve it.

Also, nuking the chat room wouldn't make Althanas more fun, it would make it infinitely more boring and a horrible place to hang out, as you're unable to shoot the breeze with your fellow writers.

As far as my suggestion goes, start holding modded quests and events in the Nexus, and give people actual, tangible incentive to write there. I imagine that some people wouldn't mind the break from bar fight after bar fight, and dragon after bigger dragon after even bigger dragon than the previous two combined. Variety is the spice of life, and that includes variety in genre and characters.
    "Being evil never felt so good!" - Marie, Splatoon

these are the weapons of bedeviling times

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast