GP

Name
    Madison Freebird
    Race
    Human
    Job
    The Absolute Worst

View Profile
    Podë released her grip on my mind, causing the images of death and destruction and betrayal to slowly burn away like fog. Even as they faded, I felt as if every single one of those visions were real. I couldn't breath. I felt crushed. Destroyed. Empty. A single tear ran down my thin, pale face as I sat there on top of her. Slowly, I released my grip on her throat. Vines withdrew back into my arms as I leaned back.

“So you finally see it,” the witch said. “The damage that your uncontrolled hatred causes to those you love.” Her malicious emerald eyes flickered towards Nell's corpse.

“That has always been your problem, my little monster. You are unable to temper your emotions. You bottle them up and allow them to fester inside you. They eat away at you. They makes you insecure. This hatred and fear that rots in your gut builds and builds until you lash out at those few people you are afraid of hurting the most, because that's all you know how to do.”

She twisted an arm free out from underneath me and pushed me aside. I fell away from her without any resistance. As I sat there, bent over from the trauma of her spell, she rose to her feet. Her brilliant red dress smoothed itself out as she stood tall over me, knowing that she had broken me.

A hollow shell, I was powerless to stop whatever she was planning on doing next.

The false god was right; I was a ticking time bomb waiting to explode. Ever since I was young, I never had anyone to call friend. Friendship and love were foreign concepts to me, until I finally forced myself to discover their meanings in an effort to fill a void in my life that had been growing since childhood.

But then, I was terrified of letting people in. I didn't want them to get close to me. All I knew how to do was hurt people and run away; how could I expect them to find anything worth sticking around for? I had to force myself to stay. It's a fight I continue in earnest to this very day.

And what do I get for working to be more open? I lose them anyway. I open myself up to someone, I let them in, I learn to love them, and then I end up pushing them away. I hurt them. I lose them. One way or another, they leave me--and I find myself alone and afraid once more, like I've always been.

Is this the fate I brought upon myself?

Is this what I deserve? An eternity of loneliness and betrayal all because I cannot let go of my hatred?

...Maybe it is.

...And yet, it is my hatred that drives me.

It is my hatred that keeps me going. It fuels my work, dictates my actions, grows my power.

It is this venomous hate that made me the monster that I am. My hate is the plague that corrupted Eiskalt. It is the blade that murdered Kyla Orlouge and overthrew the mad assassin, Lichensith Ulroke. It is the voice that leads the Order of the Crimson Hand to a better future. It is the hand that guides me as I plan for the future and steers me down the path of my destiny.

I dream of love and acceptance, and fear losing those who show me both. But, that demon that eternally lurks in the blackened recesses of my soul will always be there for me, no matter what. Ready to lash out at the world, ready to be unleashed on those who would take from me the things I crave the most.
    Last edited by BlackAndBlueEyes; 04-26-15 at 08:39 AM.
    "Being evil never felt so good!" - Marie, Splatoon

these are the weapons of bedeviling times

Break knees, collect fees
    EXP: 94,624, Level: 13
    Level completed: 34%, EXP required for next level: 9,376
    Level completed: 34%,
    EXP required for next level: 9,376
    GP

Name
    Madison Freebird
    Race
    Human
    Job
    The Absolute Worst

View Profile
    Slowly, I rose to my feet. The emptiness in my heart left from Nell's death and the visions Podë gave me afterwords was filled in by a malicious energy. It oozed from every vein that ran through me and filled my heart with utter darkness. Thoughts filled my mind; a random jumbling of words that quickly meshed together into a single, repeating line.

Kill.

Kill.

Kill.

All I desired in that moment was Podë's blood on my briar-knit hands. The night she spent with me where she gave me my powers, the sense of purpose she had given me, the things that I have achieved in her name since then... Gone. They simply did not matter. They had been replaced by the realizations of the sorceress's true nature; that she only saw me as a pawn when I deemed myself her knight. I was nothing but a child to her, the very things important to me nothing more than tools to use to keep the leash tight around my neck.

I will have it this way no longer.

Podë must have sensed my intentions, as she turned around as I lunged at her again. With a primal scream that pierced the tranquility of the forest, I slammed my shoulder into her thin frame and brought her down onto the floor of the grove hard. I pinned her onto the carpet of blood-red blades of grass and balled up my fist.

The first strike cracked against the side of her face. The second, third, and fourth strikes likewise found home. They weren't doing any visible harm to her--instead, she began to laugh that horrible impish cackle of hers. The laughing crescendoed, growing and growing in intensity and volume as I laid into her. Punch after punch after punch, and neither of us showed any signs of giving in.

“So,” she finally asked in the space between blows and giggles, “you haven't quite learned your lesson, have you?” I split the skin underneath her left eye open with another punch, but she did not react as dark blood slowly began oozing from the wound. “Is it that you are incapable of learning it? Or is it that you simply just refuse to?”

I did not answer her. Instead, I wrapped my hands around her throat once more. I would choke the life from this bitch if it were the last thing I ever did.

Even with my vine-knit hands crushing her windpipe, the laughing continued. It roared in my ears, as if it were coming from deep within the recesses of the cursed forest itself. “This,” she exclaimed, “is why you are unworthy to carry on my legacy!”

My face contorted in rage as more vines erupted from my arms, joining the fight to murder a false god. And yet, she kept on laughing. The sound of it scraped away at the fabric of my very being--but I would not stop choking her.

“You feel, but you do not think! You act on impulse rather than rationality!”

“Shut the fuck up,” I howled at her, squeezing my fingers tighter and tighter around her neck.

“You damn yourself to a future of solitude, Madison Freebird! Your wrath will be your prison!”

“If giving in to it means that I will also be rid of you, then so be it!”

Podë managed to free both of her arms, and reached up towards my head once more. Her spidery fingers latched on tightly to the sides of my face, nails digging through skin, and I could feel the first threads of her horrifying illusions cast themselves into my mind. She was searching for more terrible fears to dredge up to break me again. I would not give her the satisfaction of playing my nightmares against me this time.

Acid pooled in the back of my throat, and before she could whisper the incantation that would force me to bear witness to whatever dark fantasies she wished to show me, I spat it all in her face. A stream of thick amber liquid splashed against her beautiful features, and the effect was immediate. Psychotic laughter gave way to screams of terror as flesh and muscle began to boil. Thick, acrid smoke rose into the air as she clutched at the bubbling, melting mass. Even with her vast supernatural abilities, she could not heal herself fast enough to counteract the effects of the corrosive liquid.

For the first time in ages, Podë was losing.

I knocked her blood-stained hands away from he as she tried desperately to grab hold of me, hoping to share her pain with me. With the help of several thick vines that burst from my arms, I managed to tie her wrists together over her head. The Forgotten One tossed and wrenched her thin body around on the ground, hoping to free herself from her new bindings.

Her cries were perfect. I only wished that she had felt just an fraction of the pain that she had caused me with false promises and back-stabbing and treacherous magic that sowed the seeds of her own downfall.
    Last edited by BlackAndBlueEyes; 04-24-15 at 07:29 AM.

Break knees, collect fees
    EXP: 94,624, Level: 13
    Level completed: 34%, EXP required for next level: 9,376
    EXP required for next level: 9,376
    GP

Name
    Madison Freebird
    Race
    Human
    Job
    The Absolute Worst

View Profile
    Reaching down with both hands, I grabbed onto the sides of her face. Her bubbling, melting skin felt like mush underneath the briar-knit palms of my hands. The witch's cries of pain grew in intensity as I dug the sharpened tips of my vines into the exposed muscle and bones of her head. She continued to struggle against me to no avail.

I wondered briefly what was running through her mind. Was she afraid? Was she hurt? Was she feeling betrayed? Did she worry that her time was at an end, brought by the hand of someone she thought she could trust?

I delved into the deepest, darkest corners of my mind. I pulled every ounce of bile and venom and pure hate that I had stored up. I played back the memories of everything that I ever lost--my innocence, my chances at a normal life, my associates, my friends, my loved ones... I relived the moment that Podë tricked me into killing my best friend in cold blood. I recalled the visions of potential futures that I could live to see. I took all that sadness and bitterness and channeled it into her.

The earthy green hues of my vine-woven arms gave way to demonic shades of crimson. As I poured every ounce of hate I could muster into my former mistress, I felt the shard of her soul she left in me connect with what remained of her own. As the link was forged between us, I felt the remnants of her immense power.

The power that I craved so. The power that she should have shared with me, as her Agent.

As I reached into the aether, Podë's corporeal form began to convulse. The spasms that wracked her body shook me as well, but my resolve did not falter.

I could feel it. I had a grip on the Forgotten One's soul. It was broken and withered between my fingers after thousands of years of struggling to maintain her curse on Lindequalmë, but I could still feel the whispers of incredible power that it contained.

I will have which I am due.

Squeezing the sides of her skull, I thought I heard the faintest cracking of bone. I closed my eyes, further channeling my anger into my former employer. As I tightened my grip on her soul, a new vision flashed before my eyes.

I saw a woman. She had long, flowing blond hair covering a parts of a beautiful face that had been burned by fire. Tall and lean, I saw that she too was fighting against the same corruption I sought to harness. Another one of the Red Witch's "chosen", perhaps? I could feel this woman's spirit brush up against me as I continued to try and wrest my betrayer's own power from her body. I could feel this young thing try and absorb Podë's essence--or was Podë trying to force her way into her body?

It did not matter either way. I would not be stopped now.

Podë was powerless in her struggle against me. She had sought to turn my hate against me, but it only proved to be her final undoing after spreading herself so thin. With one final pull, I could physically feel the remnants of her spirit being torn from her body, absorbed through the dark magic that coursed through my blood red vines. The witch let out one final, ear-splitting scream that lingered in the air for several seconds before fading away into a sputtering cough as my acid traveled down her mouth and into her throat, rapidly eating away at the muscle inside her.

The witch's body shook several more times before finally becoming still. She made no sound, other than the continued bubbling of flesh as the acid continued to do its work. It wasn't until my vines slowly faded back to their natural shades of green that I realized I still had my hands on the sides of her face. Slowly, I let go of her. Bits of goopy, melted flesh and clumps of her bright red hair stuck to my hands as I let my arms drop to my sides.

It was over.

The torment, the lies, the false promises, the betrayal, the heartbreak...

It was finally over.

I had gotten my revenge--for myself, and for Nell; just two of her countless victims and playthings throughout the ages.

I had gotten what I ultimately wanted in the end. The power of a Forgotten One. The magic contained within her shattered soul combined with the gifts that she had already granted me, increasing their potency. I could feel the energy coursing through my veins, invigorating my heart with a darkness that told whispers of beautiful things to come.

And yet... I felt even more empty inside than ever before.

I found myself asking if it all was worth it. I had made many sacrifices and lost many things to acquire this power--things that I will never be able to replace in a million years.

...I guess time will tell.
    Last edited by BlackAndBlueEyes; 04-26-15 at 08:44 AM.

Administrator
    EXP: 81,363, Level: 12
    Level completed: 34%, EXP required for next level: 8,637
    EXP required for next level: 8,637
    GP

Name
    Max Dirks
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Black
    Eye Color
    Green
    Job
    Illicit Entrepreneur

View Profile
    Judgment

This was a solid performance. The story moved along at a good pace and it was an easy read. It was good of you to back away from the increasingly dull Madison is jealous motif you hammered home in the first and second rounds; however, the introduction of Nell (whoever that is) as a central story piece was somewhat trite. Fans of Madison's past might recognize this as symbolic to your character, but frankly the relationship was poorly developed within this particular story and it strongly detracted from your overall arc. Using Nell as a back piece to establish that everything Madison loves is destroyed by her hatred was solid, but could have been done more simply.

Writing was fine. You took my advise from the previous rounds and avoided the colloquialisms that hurt you in the first two rounds. That said, you didn't vary your sentence structure much in this thread. Many sentences quite literally said, "I did this…" or "I did that…" Telling, not showing, made the reader feel less connected to Madison in what was probably meant to be the pinnacle of her character development. It no coincidence that your strongest post was when Madison was beating Nell to a pulp, believing of course that it was Pode. Your mechanics were good. I didn't see any unintentional errors in spelling, grammar or sentence structure; however, I reduced you significantly for that bizarre second person introduction.

BlackandBlueEyes

Story- 6
    Setting- 5
    Pacing- 7
    Action- 7
    Communication- 6
    Persona- 5
    Mechanics- 7
    Technique- 5
    Clarity- 7
    Wildcard- 5

Total -- 60/100

BlackandBlueEyes receives 1920 EXP and 144 GP + the illusion trinket prize.

You've won second place in the 2015 Adventurer's Crown. Congratulations!
    Althanas Operations Administrator

Dirks GP amount: 2949

Administrator
    EXP: 63,653, Level: 10
    Level completed: 88%, EXP required for next level: 1,347
    Level completed: 88%,
    EXP required for next level: 1,347
    GP

Name
    Lichensith Ulroké
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Platinum
    Eye Color
    Green
    Build
    175lbs -- 6'
    Job
    Grandmaster Assassin

View Profile
    EXP & GP Added!
    "All mortal men possess the capacity to do evil. Some are simply more capable than others."
    - Anonymous

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12