Well, I've been thinking about how to name not just main characters but also NPCs. In the past I've used a number or ways, sometimes randomly picking names until one sounds right, through to using other languages, referencing other literature or searching names based on their meanings.

For example, my not often used character Raksha means protection. He is a lawful good character who would help anyone he saw in trouble.

Talen comes from a child thief from a David Eddings book I read years ago as a kid (books that helped Kindle my love of fantasy).

Sometimes I take verbs or nouns and turn them into names as well. I used to have a tiefling female character called Ire for example. She was one of a pair who also had a name meaning anger.

Remedy is a mixture of referencing the book Boneshaker for her last name Blue and steam punk references, using a noun Remedy and picking a name that suited her Winona (her not used first name).

So, how do you pick your names? Do you think it's worth while foreshadowing stories by the names you pick for your NPCs? Or is it a waste of time?

Do you find the name actually crafts the character?