Name
    Madison Freebird
    Race
    Human
    Job
    The Absolute Worst

View Profile

Althanas Community Radio Presents: The Essence Of Roleplaying

ACR makes its grand return by letting our very own Karuka/Mongrel/Carmen Sandiego Alydia Ettermire take the lead!

You may have seen her thread where she asked you to define roleplaying and the Althanas experience. She and her guest, Andy (me) go over your responses and put the pieces together as to what makes our wonderful little website what it is!

And, of course, as a little bonus, there is a discussion about the implementation of the AP System and what could for the website and its future!

And remember, as always, if you have trouble streaming, you can right click on the link and download the episode.

Feedback to the points made and your thoughts on the show concept as a whole are greatly appreciated, kids.

The Essence Of: Episode 1
    "Being evil never felt so good!" - Marie, Splatoon

these are the weapons of bedeviling times

Miss Demeanor
    EXP: 28,185, Level: 7
    Level completed: 15%, EXP required for next level: 6,815
    Level completed: 15%,
    EXP required for next level: 6,815
    GP

Name
    Alydia Ettermire
    Race
    Alerian
    Hair Color
    Black
    Eye Color
    Blue
    Build
    5'6"
    Job
    Thief

View Profile
    Many thanks to Andy for recording, editing, and co-starring in this episode!
    Fortune favors the prepared.

Make It So
    EXP: 23,137, Level: 6
    Level completed: 45%, EXP required for next level: 3,863
    Level completed: 45%,
    EXP required for next level: 3,863
    GP

Name
    Rayleigh Aston
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Brunette
    Eye Color
    Green
    Build
    5'3 / 115
    Job
    Mechanic

View Profile
    I appreciate your support of the AP system, Michelle. There's been a lot of negativity surrounding the program, despite it only being released yesterday, so I'm excited to hear that you understand one of the main motivations behind it.

Andy, to address your example, writing a few hundred words on a single workshop could potentially earn you those 2 AP. You won't have to write two workshops. AP in workshops is actually incredibly easy to earn (we did that intentionally) - see examples here.
    Althy's Judging Admin
    To try or not to try. To take a risk or play it safe.
    Your arguments have reminded me how precious the right to choose is.
    And because I've never been one to play it safe, I choose to try.

EXP: 13,891, Level: 4
    Level completed: 98%, EXP required for next level: 109
    Level completed: 98%,
    EXP required for next level: 109
    GP

Name
    Kryos
    Race
    Dwiilar
    Hair Color
    Black
    Eye Color
    Crimson, Silver
    Build
    5' 11" / 158 lbs
    Job
    Wanderer, Soul Mage

View Profile
    I quite enjoyed the Podcast. Thank you Michelle and Andy for producing it. Really fun.

I really enjoyed the initial setup. As I haven't heard any previous podcasts, I don't have anything to compare it to. But, I liked being able to hear discussion surrounding the answers that we, the members, supplied. Having recently come back, it was fun to hear about things that I was unaware of.

I also really enjoyed the expansion of the theme of questions you guys did. The questions you polled us with had to do with the nature of Roleplaying, and how Althanas factored into that. Then, you guys discussed the essence of Althanas and whether or not it was a roleplaying site. I had never considered that before, and upon reflection, pretty much agree that some more traditional aspects of RPing don't really exist here. That unknown of how another member will respond to what I do in a thread and all. I still think that can happen, especially in some battle threads. However, even if I know what is going to happen, it is the manner in which it does that I look forward to. I remember that some of the best moments were when I was writing with one of my friends from another site, and when she finally posted, I would get so excited, not because I already knew what would happen, but rather the beauty in which she wrote it. So, yeah, good job expanding the topic from the original questions.

Now, the AP system. I don't want to get into it too much besides that I can understand why a change like this could be considered necessary, and also the flipside of having limited time to write and earn AP. But I have already seen a bit of the debate on the forum, and felt that the amount of time spent on the podcast debating the AP system, well, wasn't so good. While I feel that the podcast is a great avenue to discuss current events on Althanas, I think that the AP system took up too much time in a debate between the pros and cons and other options, that it left a bad taste in my mouth by the end of the podcast, which I was a bit disappointed about. I would rather come away from the podcast on a more upbeat note and feeling, and use it to really dig into writing.

May I suggest that, rather than debating something that is a hot topic that has already been debated considerably on the forums, a simple discussion, instruction and analysis of the current topic would be better. In this case, rather than arguing over it, I would more have appreciated going into detail on how to earn AP, with examples. I know I only can speak for myself, but having recently come back, it would have been better to learn how to begin working with this system, rather than seeing how controversial it is. For instance, what exactly is required for a 1 point AP workshop response? Or, what are and how does one go about getting Tier 1, 2 and 3 content approved? What does it mean to get a "summary" approved for 3 AP?

Anyway, those were my big thoughts concerning the podcast. However, I did enjoy it overall, and am greatly looking forward to the next episode. Good work guys!

DFTBA
    -Level 4-

The path of redemption requires both light and shadow.

Deliver Us
    EXP: 69,763, Level: 11
    Level completed: 40%, EXP required for next level: 7,237
    Level completed: 40%,
    EXP required for next level: 7,237
    GP

Name
    Shinsou Vaan Osiris
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Brown
    Eye Color
    Gold
    Build
    6'0", 155lbs
    Job
    "Executor" (Leader) of the Brotherhood

View Profile
    Giving this a listen now. Already cringing at Andy's horrible breathing.

I'll edit for feedback when it's finished.

Althanas Operations Administrator

"When we were young, was this the dream we had? We're celebrating nothing. We need to find our way back."

Break knees, collect fees
    EXP: 94,624, Level: 13
    Level completed: 34%, EXP required for next level: 9,376
    Level completed: 34%,
    EXP required for next level: 9,376
    GP

Name
    Madison Freebird
    Race
    Human
    Job
    The Absolute Worst

View Profile
    HEHHHHHHHHHHHN

ohai

HEHHHHHHHHHHHHN
    "Being evil never felt so good!" - Marie, Splatoon

these are the weapons of bedeviling times

Deliver Us
    EXP: 69,763, Level: 11
    Level completed: 40%, EXP required for next level: 7,237
    Level completed: 40%,
    EXP required for next level: 7,237
    GP

Name
    Shinsou Vaan Osiris
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Brown
    Eye Color
    Gold
    Build
    6'0", 155lbs
    Job
    "Executor" (Leader) of the Brotherhood

View Profile
    It was a good episode overall. You are both great to listen to and I enjoyed what was on offer.

I would be lying if I said that I wasn't disappointed that my comments on "What is Althanas to you?" were taken a little out of context, and seemed to skirt around the core of what I said with regards to this place being a bastion of creativity and also a place that is getting stronger even after fourteen years. It seems to have made me out to be using this place as a "kick back and relax" type of place, but in reality I take my writing very seriously, and behind all the fun "Shin" moments i'm keen to succeed here and am always working hard to write some good threads (evident from my scores).

Still, keep it up. Looking forward to the next episode.
    Last edited by Shinsou Vaan Osiris; 02-03-16 at 12:51 PM.

Althanas Operations Administrator

"When we were young, was this the dream we had? We're celebrating nothing. We need to find our way back."

Miss Demeanor
    EXP: 28,185, Level: 7
    Level completed: 15%, EXP required for next level: 6,815
    Level completed: 15%,
    EXP required for next level: 6,815
    GP

Name
    Alydia Ettermire
    Race
    Alerian
    Hair Color
    Black
    Eye Color
    Blue
    Build
    5'6"
    Job
    Thief

View Profile
    Question: if we end up doing more episodes, what are other topics you'd want us to discuss the Essence Of, and who would like to guest star?
    Fortune favors the prepared.

In The Eye of a Hurricane
    EXP: 62,578, Level: 10
    Level completed: 78%, EXP required for next level: 2,422
    Level completed: 78%,
    EXP required for next level: 2,422
    GP

Name
    Vincent Cain (OOC just call me Fred)
    Race
    Earthling
    Hair Color
    Sandy Blonde
    Eye Color
    Saphire
    Build
    six foot four and slim build
    Job
    Badass motherfucker

Id love to see you discuss things like morality in characters, building a compelling character, some of the more compelling parts of RP we dont discuss often!
    There is a darkness in you. In all of us, probably. Beasts we keep chained. Ordinary men have to keep the chains strong, for if we let the beast loose then society will turn upon us with fiery vengeance. Kings though...well, who is there to turn upon them? So the chains are made of straw. It is the curse of kings, Helikaon, that they can become monsters. And they invariably do.

Rayleigh is pretty chill. ♥

Be the Hero you can be.
    EXP: 90,981, Level: 13
    Level completed: 8%, EXP required for next level: 13,019
    Level completed: 8%,
    EXP required for next level: 13,019
    GP

Name
    Nanashi (Ingwe Helyanwe)
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Black-Brown
    Eye Color
    Black-Brown
    Build
    178cm / 70kg
    Job
    Shusai, Kensai, Monjutsushi

View Profile
    Grr. I'll have it on the record that my usual post is 1000 - 2000 words in size. 3000 is pushing it, even for me!

That said, thank you for reading between the lines for my answer to the first question, and noting that Althanas covers a lot of what I termed as 'disadvantages' of roleplaying. I'm with you both in that I think of Althanas as more than a role-playing site, although it does cater to both 'role-playing' and 'gaming' styles as well as 'story-telling'.

With regards to AP, I can see both sides of the argument - you did a good job of presenting it - and overall I'm in favour. I agree with Kryos, though, that we need examples of what constitutes a 1AP workshop contribution vs. a 2AP contribution, etc. Linking from the AP guide page to explanations of the various methods by which we can earn AP (i.e. the different types of workshop judgements, content approval, summaries) would probably be a step in the right direction.

In particular, I think there's a misconception that workshop contributions must be on the level of a 'professional' judgement. I couldn't disagree more. Even a few lines of "I read your thread. I thought this was good and that you could work on that" would not only earn you a few AP, but also (should) make the day of the writer who submitted into the workshop. Speaking for myself, there was nothing more discouraging than to submit one of my works to the workshop, only to find that only one person (bless you, Karu) bothered to offer feedback.

EDIT: I'm liking Cards's suggestion for the next podcast. I'm also tempted to suggest that you touch base with recent threads on Althanas (without setting a bad example by admitting that you haven't read anything in the past few weeks)! Perhaps get your guests to promote their latest pet projects? Namedrop a particular thread that you think is promising / would help develop critiquing skills through a workshop?
    Last edited by Flames of Hyperion; 02-03-16 at 02:36 PM.
    -Level 10-

You made me laugh, you make me smile
    For you I will always go the extra mile
    I hope that the day will come when I can banish this pain
    I just hope that one day I will see you again

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast